The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

It looks like Eastman prices may have gone up 25% (across the board?) just in the last day or two!
    The MDA315 Mandola I bought for $875 last week is now listed at $1,095; the MDA815 - the more expensive model - went up by the same percentage.
    Anyone know more?
    Last edited by Tom Karol; 06-10-2021 at 09:25 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Karol
    It looks like Eastman prices may have gone up 25% (across the board?) just in the last day or two!
    The MDA315 Mandola I bought for $875 last week is now listed at $1,095; the MDA815 - the more expensive model - went up by the same percentage.
    Anyone know more?
    Tom, take a trip to home depot. The price of a 2x4 (8ft) is $8.64. Thats up from last week when it was $7.64. Sheets of plywood are also triple to quadruple the pre-pandemic price. Imagine that will push production costs across the board for the next year or two as a company needs to buy stock in advance.
    Last edited by callouscallus; 06-10-2021 at 12:36 PM.

User Info Menu

Just checked their website and the AR 372 CE is only @ € 30.00 more than it was when I purchased mine three years ago.

User Info Menu

5 years ago, I bought a new Eastman AR503CE (and I'm quite happy with it) I paid 1 249 €
    Nowadays, you can have one for 1 649 €. (32% increase in 5 years).
    This trend started long before the pandemic.
    I hope they don't want to follow Gibson pricing policy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Just checked their website and the AR 372 CE is only @ € 30.00 more than it was when I purchased mine three years ago.
    Purchased mine in Toulouse, France in January ( you may recall TOMMO ) for 1250 €uros. Just looked now and the are 1289 €uros. Not huge. Still loving mine btw.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat
    Still loving mine btw.
    Glad to hear that!

User Info Menu

OK, so maybe it's just on selected models that they felt were underpriced.
    Anyway, I did get mine at the old price!
    I bought my AR-403ce brand new for $715 back in early 2012, so I certainly can't complain.
    And yes, I realize that the Pandemic has had a myriad of negative economic effects, including a sharp rise in the price of lumber.

User Info Menu

The AR372s on Reverb are listed at ~$1100-1300, which I think is a couple hundred more than people were posting about a few years ago.

I don't know if they were hit with a tariff, which a lot of Asian products were over the last few years (go refrigerator shopping recently??).

IDK everything seems more expensive except common sense.

Gives us something else to complain about instead of the pandemic I guess.

User Info Menu

I live in Canada and I've noticed Godin has increased their prices in recent months on the Kingpin and Montreal Premiere models. A sign of the times I guess.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Karol
    Anyone know more?
    How do you like the Mandola? I was thinking of buying one just because I was hoping they aren’t as crowded as a mandolin.

User Info Menu

Mandolas do have a longer scale than mandolins, generally 16-17", depending on the maker. 420mm is common. Mandolins generally run 14.5-15".

On another subject, ISTM that common sense is very expensive, since few seem to be able to afford it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    How do you like the Mandola? I was thinking of buying one just because I was hoping they aren’t as crowded as a mandolin.
    As noted above, it's got a 16" scale, so only an inch shorter than my tenor ukes. It's tuned C G D A - just like a standard tenor banjo (or a viola), if you can relate to that. I'm loving it. It's got a very vibrant sound and chords sustain like crazy. Of course, I'm fumbling through how to play in 5ths tuning, but I view that as a positive learning experience. If you haven't already, check out this other post: NMD (New Mandola Day)!.

User Info Menu

Everything has gone up, far beyond the rate of our own salary increases. In fact, I feel very fortunate to still have a job where I am still able to earn a decent living. And I haven’t gotten a raise in 3 years.
    I am so grateful to have been able to buy an L5, literally seconds before the prices went crazy. But seeing the prices as they are now, I am pretty much certain that my desire to add another high end guitar is gonna have to be put on hold, maybe permanently. Perhaps, that’s a good thing..