The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hello!

I have an oval hole gipsy jazz guitar, on which the string pressure is so high, my hand gets tired very soon (I had arthrosis in my left hand's wrist, Im still doing physiotherapy every day to avoid operation). The distance between the fretboard and strings are very comfortable, and the neck also in overall, but the strings... Those are hard, doesnt matter what kind of django strings I put on. The thinnest string set was 10's what I was putting on.

Do flatwounds work on gipsy guitars? OR what would you guys recommend? Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If it doesn't work with lighter strings, and 10s are a minimum one these guitars, it's going to be difficult to change the overall feeling
    Especially on Gypsy guitars that have a long scale length (26.6 or so I think)
    That's why I have a hard time with traditional Selmer type guitars
    One thing you might try is loosen the truss rod, and readjust the action by shaving down the wooden bridge if necessary.
    If you're not familiar with setting up a guitar, I'd take it to a luthier.
    If this doesn't work after a setup I 'm afraid you' ll have to cope with it, or sell the guitar if you can't.

The Chorus style Gypsy guitars, with the f holes, have a shorter scale length, 670mm or 25.5.

Best of luck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jx30510
    If it doesn't work with lighter strings, and 10s are a minimum one these guitars, it's going to be difficult to change the overall feeling
    Especially on Gypsy guitars that have a long scale length (26.6 or so I think)
    That's why I have a hard time with traditional Selmer type guitars
    One thing you might try is loosen the truss rod, and readjust the action by shaving down the wooden bridge if necessary.
    If you're not familiar with setting up a guitar, I'd take it to a luthier.
    If this doesn't work after a setup I 'm afraid you' ll have to cope with it, or sell the guitar if you can't.

The Chorus style Gypsy guitars, with the f holes, have a shorter scale length, 670mm or 25.5.

Best of luck
    670 mm is 26.378” and is the typical Selmer scale length. I believe the shorter scale guitars are typically 640 mm or 25.197”. The shorter scale will of course allow for a little less tension at a given pitch with the same gauge string.

User Info Menu

One thing to check: The depth of the slots in the nut. Often they are cut too high which will make the instrument harder to fret and will cause poor intonation in the lower part of the neck with absolutely no benefits in return. Surpirisingly, it is seen on both cheap and expensive guitars. If you are not familiar with filing down the nut slots, have a luthier do it.

https://www.stewmac.com/video-and-id...t-the-nut.html

User Info Menu

I have a AJL 503 model gyspy guitar. It also has a high string tension like you mention. I think some of it has to do with the truss rod and neck angle, I'm not positive of that tho. One thing is for sure, all things being equal like scale length and low action (as you describe on your guitar) I've played gypsy guitars side by side where one has a lower string tension than another with the same scale length and playability. The only thing I'm left to deduce is it's actually caused by the neck angle or truss rod.

On a side note my other gypsy guitar is an Altamira MD01. It is much easier to play with lower string tension. (same scale length, playability). At first playing the AJL was a challenge, but over the course of several months, many hours a day practice, my fingers adjusted and my picking hand stikes the string much easier. You have to adapt and give things time, or hunt for a new guitar.

User Info Menu

thought I might add you might want to try a different kind of strings, what are you using now? A lot of players use Argentine 10's, you might want to try Galli Silk and Steel. Some people say they have a lower tension.

Galli GSL10 Gypsy Jazz Silk and Steel Ball End Acoustic Light 10-45

User Info Menu

Hey thanks for all the answers.

I am using Piramyd strings now, but I want to try the flatwounds, because of the lower tensions. Anyone tried flatwounds on gipsy guitars?

User Info Menu

I don't think they are made to work with flatwounds. You could try anyway
    I tried flatwounds a few days ago on my archtop, in place of roundwounds, same gauge. Well to me the guitar felt just stiffer.
    It is a very easy and smooth playing with roundwounds.
    So not sure flatwounds will solve the problem