The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

I’m in the market for a new pickup set on my peerless gigmaster. I’m looking for the clearest possible chords without the signal being too bright, shimmery, and glassy. I love the natural tone of the guitar, I don’t want to change it much but the stock pups are too dark. I’ve been toying with the idea of P90’s but would love any recommendations on a set that will keep my chords articulate as a priority. I don’t want any breakup on the chords or saturation.

thanks for your input

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I put one on my Epiphone Zephyr Regent Reissue (like an ES165) and enjoy it very much.

Here's a demo I did:

User Info Menu

Check out the Lollar CC. Really great tones. I have them on my VB and really enjoy them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I put one on my Epiphone Zephyr Regent Reissue (like an ES165) and enjoy it very much.

Here's a demo I did:

That is a real P-90 sound, at least close enough. I love it!

It's so odd that the P-90, the CC and the 1100 seem to still reign supreme.

I'd add the P-92 as among my favorites.

User Info Menu

Here's a demo I did:

Nice! Do you happen to remember how wide open the tone knob was for this recording?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    Nice! Do you happen to remember how wide open the tone knob was for this recording?
    I might have rolled it off to maybe 8, or not at all. I do have a clip where I'm pretty sure I rolled it off a bit more. This one is also played through a Princeton Reverb Re-issue.

User Info Menu

Okay here's one where I did roll the tone down pretty much to "1" going for the "Jim Hall Effect."

User Info Menu

The quick route would be just get the Phat Cats.

User Info Menu

I might have rolled it off to maybe 8, or not at all. I do have a clip where I'm pretty sure I rolled it off a bit more. This one is also played through a Princeton Reverb Re-issue.

oh yeah! That’s the sauce I’m looking for, sounds superb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    oh yeah! That’s the sauce I’m looking for, sounds superb
    But don't discount the contribution of that Fender Princeton Reverb! That is a sensational amp. I'm crazy about it. I actually passionately love every amp I own, but he PRRI holds a very special place.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    The quick route would be just get the Phat Cats.
    This is true!

Really, there are so many options out there for what you're looking for, and recordings of others only help a bit (since "your results may vary"). Most dealers/makers have a two-week return policy, so buy something and try them. [I enjoy the Bareknuckle humbucker-sized P-90s, BTW!]

Happy hunting!

User Info Menu

This 2013 Premier Guitar shootout is detailed and offers useful sound samples.

Phat Cats worked well in a couple of guitars for me. They're easy to find and deliver consistently for modest cost.

I currently have used Gibson P94s in my homebuilt Kloin solidbody. They are just great -- neck pickup is full but clear and the middle position has tons of snap. Turns out that Gibson actually does know some things about P90s . . .