The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I mostly play a Telecaster these days, and my tweed Champ sounds fantastic but doesn’t hold together well for some jazz sounds. I’m interested in Henriksens but hear conflicting opinions that it might be too pristine, such that a solid body might sound bland compared to a hollow body.

Can you all point me to examples of a telecaster through a Henriksen? I recall seeing one on the SoundPure website at one point, but I’m wondering if there are any others, especially from players on this community.

Also, I don’t seem to ever see Henriksens for sale. Satisfied customers, or just few units?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Longtime user of a Henriksen BUD here, using a Tele and several archtops.
    The problem - as so often - is your perception of a "bland" tone : do you mean a neutral, balanced tone or a lifeless, aneamic tone ? Do you play only at bedroom levels or do you rehearse/gig with a group ?

Even without any pedals in front I can dial in a very pleasing, fat and warm tone with my BUD, regardless of the type of guitar I'm using. The 4-band EQ section in combination with the pre-amp and master volume control allows for a broad range of tones and the most useable/effective frequency bands are all covered. When I plug in various types of preamp pedals I can bend the tone in yet more different directions - never bland or lifeless to my ears. I've used my HELIX Stomp multi-fx unit, my "big rig" Helix floor unit, the "Polytone-in-a-box" pedal and a J.Rockett "Tim Pierce" overdrive , either in front or plugged into the FX return/poweramp-in of the amp.

Re the resale of these amps : I see quite many older model Henriksens for sale on the various forums and it does look like the owners of the BUD models hang on to their amps longer. Remember : these amps are targeted towards a very small niche of the market and never produced in large numbers so the relative scarcity does not come as a surprise.

For me my BUD is a pretty much perfect combination of size, sound, stage-worthyness and the money invested in it and I have no plans to let it go.

User Info Menu

If of interest, here's a short Galbraith comp study on an American Special (neck pickup) straight through my Bud:

User Info Menu

This video is a tele through a Henriksen…

User Info Menu