The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've heard of Robben Ford using this in his yellow jacket days. I've seen at least one blog that claims Mike Stern and Pat Metheny did too.
    Mine is heavy and it has to be at least partially due to them clearly having knocked off an EVM in the MK2 design. If you've played an EVM, you know what I'm talking about. Great tone, but heavy.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

IIRC, Mike Stern used two of them for years. I don't know about Robben Ford, and for Pat Metheny I have never seen a picture of him with one of those amps. That doesn't mean much, though, since the man has played thousands of gigs and has probably used a boatload of different equipment over the years.

As I understand it, there are three versions of that amp: the I, II and III. The latter has colored knobs and seems to be less desirable among aficionados. I've played either a Mk I or Mk II and liked it fine. I also recall it coming in both one and two speaker versions and in 50W and 100W versions.

Speaking of Mike Stern, have you ever seen anyone look more joyful playing music than that guy? When he's playing music his face is lit up, he's got a big smile, everything about him says he loves what he's doing at that moment. And it doesn't seem to matter whether he's playing in his living room, playing to two people in a bar or to a stadium. Even his injury a few years ago and subsequent nerve problems don't seem to have dampened his spirits, he just figured out how to work around it and keep going.

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    IIRC, Mike Stern used two of them for years. I don't know about Robben Ford, and for Pat Metheny I have never seen a picture of him with one of those amps. That doesn't mean much, though, since the man has played thousands of gigs and has probably used a boatload of different equipment over the years.

As I understand it, there are three versions of that amp: the I, II and III. The latter has colored knobs and seems to be less desirable among aficionados. I've played either a Mk I or Mk II and liked it fine. I also recall it coming in both one and two speaker versions and in 50W and 100W versions.

Speaking of Mike Stern, have you ever seen anyone look more joyful playing music than that guy? When he's playing music his face is lit up, he's got a big smile, everything about him says he loves what he's doing at that moment. And it doesn't seem to matter whether he's playing in his living room, playing to two people in a bar or to a stadium. Even his injury a few years ago and subsequent nerve problems don't seem to have dampened his spirits, he just figured out how to work around it and keep going.

Rivera worked on the II. But I think some of his changes are on the III:

I haven't seen a picture of a Robben Ford with the G100, but I did find an article in a Magazine where he talks about using this and a Mesa Boogie before settling on a Dumble.

User Info Menu

I saw Metheny playing the Yamaha G100 in the 1980s, playing thru two of them.

User Info Menu

Ironically, I am heading out this afternoon and looking at a G100 2x12. Pic's look good and the owner states that all is working like it should with the exception of the footswitch, a missing knob, and some scratchy pots. Asking price is $125

If I like it, I'll be buying (although I don't really need another amp).

User Info Menu

Check out this thread:
    Yamaha G100 and Yamaha G50 amps

I've owned three of the G100 (version 2) amps and still have two of them. I gave the G100-212ii to my 20 year old nephew, as this amp requires a young back to lift it.

@Beaubs - Good luck with your purchase.

Yamaha G100 - The MK2 Rivera consulted on are legit-yamaha-g100-all-jpg

User Info Menu

It’s in the house, it’s heavy and loud! I’m excited to have it, price of $125. I need a couple knobs (half of two of the stems have broke off), and a footswitch but it sounds clear and clean.