The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Just found these - they have been un-obtainium for quite while ...

Kluson 3+3 Vintage Gold Diecast Sealfast Tuners fits Gibson L5 Super 400 | eBay

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

$ 230.00 ?

User Info Menu

Interesting that they reissued the circa '46-'54 plastic button version and not the '55-70s metal button type.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Interesting that they reissued the circa '46-'54 plastic button version and not the '55-70s metal button type.
    They did both.
    Kluson 3 Per Side Vintage Diecast Sealfast Tuning Machines

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by customxke

wow, never thought I'd see the day and they even look pretty close to the originals save for the stamped name.
    they'll sell a lot of these imo not just to replace older tuners but may catch on w/builders.

User Info Menu

This is awesome

User Info Menu

Guys, I’ve said this before. Maybe because my particular set was 45 yrs old even though they looked brand new, they were the worst tuners I ever had. A close 2nd worst are the Shallers that are on my L5.
    The Ibanez tuners on my GB100 are the best tuners I’ve ever used. The gotoh’s on my EER are almost identical.
    “Sealed tuners” sound good in theory, but they start to fail once the lube inside starts to dry out. I’d much rather have an unsealed tuner, or, a sealed tuner that uses a lubricant that stays slippery forever.
    JD

User Info Menu

I sure like the looks of them and really my best tuners have been the Schallers M-6 that came on most of the later Barker Guitars. I think my Campellone has Kluson and they pretty much work the same. Grover Imperials generally are ok but I have seen them go bad in the recent offers of these. If these are smooth and precise they might definitely be a choice.

User Info Menu

IMO, it was only a matter of time, since Kluson has already reissued the Firebird "Banjo-style" tuners, which use many of the same components. Retail price of $200-250 is not bad compared to $1,000-1,200 for a NOS set of Sealfasts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Guys, I’ve said this before. Maybe because my particular set was 45 yrs old even though they looked brand new, they were the worst tuners I ever had. A close 2nd worst are the Shallers that are on my L5. The Ibanez tuners on my GB100 are the best tuners I’ve ever used. The gotoh’s on my EER are almost identical. “Sealed tuners” sound good in theory, but they start to fail once the lube inside starts to dry out. I’d much rather have an unsealed tuner, or, a sealed tuner that uses a lubricant that stays slippery forever. JD
    Interesting. While I agree that old Sealfasts can be problematic, I've had excellent experience with Schallers. The big M-6 (M6-180) style has a unique side tab, so, if the ones on your L-5 are bad for some reason, I'd recommend that you simply get a replacement set of new ones - dropin replacements, no extra holes required. Schaller has made some improvements to the design, and the tuning ratio on them is now 18:1, which seems to be a new standard. Older, full-sized, Schaller M6 sets usually have a 12:1 tuning ratio. The last version of the old
    full-sized Schaller M6 sets has a 14:1 tuning ratio.

According to Schaller ( M6 180 | M6 Series | Schaller Webshop ):

The new M6 is the legend perfected
    With the original M6 having set the standard for closed-type tuning machines worldwide for half a century the new M6 offers numerous upgrades and improvements without losing its iconic halo. Since the launch of the open back GrandTune™ tuning machine series in 2014 Schaller’s 18:1 Velvet-Tec™ technology has found its way onto most of the finest headstocks of our industry. Introducing the all new M6 and M6 Mini tuning machine series – featuring 18:1 Velvet-Tec™ and LX6-Lube™ for unparalleled tuning precision and comfort.
    Note:
    1.) The new M6 shares the identical footprint with its predecessor and can easily be swapped with no modifications necessary.
    2.) For the Locking version, please select the corresponding locking post. In the picture you can see the difference.

Additionally the new M6 step-washer will allow for trouble-free installation and perfectly and permanently centered stringposts. A true Schaller innovation that improves installation and provides added protection to your M6’s longevity and flawless operation. The M6 step-washer instantly centers your stringpost and makes the drilling of two separate diameter holes into your headstock obsolete. The added support eliminates tilting and releases stress from the stringpost and the mounting screw in the back.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 06-06-2021 at 05:48 PM.

User Info Menu

I am with JD about the Ibanez tuners. My GB10 still has the original tuners from 1981 and they are fantastic. They also have my favorite feature which is the hole down the middle of the shaft to stick the end of the string into so that it doesn't have a chance to poke your fingers or chew up the inside of your gig bag. I have never understood why every tuner doesn't come with that.

User Info Menu

When I got my current Super-400 some 5 or 6 years ago it came with some very strange variant of Grover Imperials- the shafts were a lot taller than any others I've seen before. The result was that the break-angle of the strings over the nut was too shallow and when strumming an open string a bit more forcefully it popped out of it's groove. While looking around for a set of original Kluson's I came across the info that for a while SCHALLER was Gibson's supplier for these tuners. I contacted the new owner of the company and - voila - he dug up one of the remaining sets for me and I got them for a great price ... they've been working perfectly ever since and sure, the Gotoh 510's on my Trenier have a higher 18 : 1 ratio but the Schaller's are rock-solid and fine tuning is a breeze.
    Attached Images Attached Images Re-issued Kluson Sealfast Tuners available-_mg_4943-jpg