The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35

User Info Menu

Nobody has heralded the old Ampeg B-15 cabinets (N or S). They sound great for guitar with a variety of 15" speakers, but particularly with a JBL.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Nobody has heralded the old Ampeg B-15 cabinets (N or S). They sound great for guitar with a variety of 15" speakers, but particularly with a JBL.
    The original B15N with 6L6s still one of my favorites! I bought mine when I was in high school and used it with my 175DN for several years. I stupidly traded it in on a Kustom 150 because it didn’t put out the sounds of rock, so the office I played for told me I needed a more versatile amp for weddings etc. I bought a used Fender Mustang for the same reason, and thankfully went for an inexpensive second guitar rather than sacrifice the 175. (FWIW, the Mustang rapidly turned into a new Tele.)

For those who don’t know the B15 firsthand, it came on a removable 4 wheel dolly. I only had a motorcycle for the first two years of college, so I made a “sidecar” attachment bracket to hold the amp a few inches off the right side. I actually dragged it to a few gigs on its dolly, if another band member couldn’t give me a ride.

I’d gladly have one today. We grow old too soon and smart too late!

User Info Menu

Just a note about Raezers Edge and some others: If you think you might want a more full range more acoustic archtop sound, or ever plan to use an acoustic electric steel string or nylon string (or vocal), spend a little more for the ER (extended range) version. Most of these have a tweeter than can be adjusted from off to full with a knob or dial. If you're sure you ONLY ever want a traditional jazzy thunky tone, then don't bother.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SoftwareGuy
    I have experience with Mesa Boogie Thiele ported speakers. They are basically 12" closed back speakers with a tuned port. They have a very tight and clear bottom end.
    These are the only speaker enclosures I know of that are specifically tuned to the frequency range of a guitar.
    These speakers really help with the 'flubby' bass problem.
    The aesthetic is Mesa Boogie basic black.
    90 watts / 8 ohms.
    I like them a lot with a clean amp and my Collings Eastside LC.
    They are however VERY directional. A pair works better than one.
    Mesa Boogie also has Private Reserve Wood like PRS and will customize cabinets to your desire.
    MESA/Boogie(R)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    ...or an Altec 418b. Or an EV-SRO/15.

Size comparison between the B-15 and B-15S:
    Attached Images Attached Images School Me on Speaker Cabinets-ampeg-b15s-b15n-jpg 

User Info Menu

I take it that the S in B15S doesn't stand for Small.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I take it that the S in B15S doesn't stand for Small.
    I'd call them medium sized. They are not big cabs, but are a bit deeper than most with relation to height/width, I suspect.
    @16" d, 24" w, 26" h - Ampeg B-15S box.
    @14 1/2" d, 21 3/4" w, 21" h - old Ampeg B-15N box is.
    @14" d, 21" w, 24" h - Ampeg B-15N box. '70 forward
    All built based on Thiele-Small parameters, optimized up the wazoo at the time, and all great-sounding cabs.

@15" d, 23" w, 23" h - Stone Age cab, one-off probably - very Fendery open back.

1973 Ampeg catalogue page:
    Attached Images Attached Images School Me on Speaker Cabinets-ampeg-brochure-1973-b15s-b15n-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 06-10-2021 at 06:11 AM.

User Info Menu

From a Mesa Boogie FB add this morning

“It takes a steady hand and sharp eye to perfectly align a grille's material to its frame. Standard grilles on MESA cabs are made of a strong twisted jute dipped in a special coating that filters top end for a sweeter response.”

The grille is a high freq roll off filter?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TedBPhx
    From a Mesa Boogie FB add this morning

“It takes a steady hand and sharp eye to perfectly align a grille's material to its frame. Standard grilles on MESA cabs are made of a strong twisted jute dipped in a special coating that filters top end for a sweeter response.”

The grille is a high freq roll off filter?
    I'm already known to be a Mesa Boogie fan, but this sounds like jive to me.

User Info Menu

The higher the frequency, the more easily it's blocked. Anything in front of the speaker will act as a filter to some degree. The thicker the material, the more it will block the sound. If the grille is solid through being dipped in some thickening agent, it will block more. I have no idea what Mesa uses, nor whether its grilles are more effective than any other grille material. I suspect that any effect will be minor, perhaps unhearable, but I believe there will be some. Just like excuses, any selling point is better than none.