The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

Extremely Rare Vintage 1948 Gibson National Aristocrat 1110 | Reverb

Just spotted this ( and another ) on the 'verb...no affiliation etc etc.....reminded me of that old expression - AKA ' Heinz 57 Varieties '......: ).....

...but never heard of them.....

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A National Aristocrat...wasn't that a Sabbath tune?

User Info Menu

Was expecting Gilbert Gottfried

User Info Menu

Yes, Gibson made a lot of bodies for the National brand archtop guitars including the Aristocrat model.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Was expecting Gilbert Gottfried
    That Aristocrat joke comes immediately to mind.

User Info Menu

No truss rod so....

User Info Menu

No trussrod? Could be fun to play if you have a spectacular muscular fretting hand

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ray175
    No trussrod? Could be fun to play if you have a spectacular muscular fretting hand

...or play slide guitar...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    A National Aristocrat...wasn't that a Sabbath tune?
    A National Acrobat

User Info Menu

Not all guitars without truss rods go bad. It might have a steel reinforced neck. From the pics one can't see a definite heel separation or extremely high action.

It sure looks cool and has that mojo.

User Info Menu

I have to say to put this priced as a comparable Gibson archtop, seems like a huge stretch to say the least.
    Reverb prices for Archtops are way out of line with real world value in my opinion.

But maybe there are people who value such things. Not me for sure!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Yes, Gibson made a lot of bodies for the National brand archtop guitars including the Aristocrat model.
    Yup. They also did the same for National acoustic guitars. I've seen National dreadnoughts for sale on Reverb, that were basically J-45s with a different (National supplied) neck on them. Buying a non-resonator vintage National, is kind of a lower cost way to get a vintage Gibson, at a lower price. They usually go for substantially less than a Gibson of comparable vintage.

1949 National 1155 (with J-45 body)
    Last edited by EllenGtrGrl; 06-05-2021 at 01:05 PM.

User Info Menu

The listing says Gibson made the necks. Nope, National put their necks on the Gibson bodies. Cool pickups though.

User Info Menu

Is that some sort of early transducer bridge on it? How fascinating.
    A very cool, if not quirky, guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Not all guitars without truss rods go bad. It might have a steel reinforced neck.
    If the neck doesn't have an adjustable rod you adjust the neck bow by using different fret-tang widths in different locations: Thinner tang --> more bend right here. That is "the vintage Martin fret-job." It's not something you want Johnny Lutherer from the local Guitar Denter to take on, but vintage Martin repairers do it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlemark
    The listing says Gibson made the necks. Nope, National put their necks on the Gibson bodies. Cool pickups though.
    I bet Gibson made the Aristocrat neck in the original post (although I lose bets sometimes).

National made the necks with the bogus-looking screw-on not-a-heel:

User Info Menu

I have the very same guitar, also from 1948. I also have a picture with the original owner's band in Indiana.

" A Gibson National Aristocrat " ??-dscf2464-jpg
    " A Gibson National Aristocrat " ??-aristocrat-1949-indiana-jpg

As Sam Sherry states Gibson did in fact also supply the necks until National came up with their own "Stylist" neck in 1949 (or so).
    The bridge pickup is magnetic, here's a wiring diagram (supposedly made by Bill Puplett, who worked on the instrument for its former owner, English Blues guitarist Michael Messer).
    The bridge pickup is rather weak but you get some interesting sounds with the blend knob.

" A Gibson National Aristocrat " ??-aristocrat-wiring-diagram-jpg

Overall it is a very fine guitar and playability is also great. I have been thinking about selling it lately as I am gassing for a vintage Gibson, but the price for the guitar shown above is totally ridiculous - I bought mine for ~ 2.000 Euros (extensively worked on by a renowned luthier) and would sell it for the same amount if I made my mind up.

Best, Michael

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Littlemark
    Initially, in '47/'48, Gibson made the bodies and necks(the complete guitar). In '49, National began installing their 'Stylist' neck on Gibson bodies. This Aristocrat has the Gibson made neck.
    Last edited by daverepair; 09-09-2022 at 10:14 PM.

User Info Menu

The "bogus-looking screw-on not-a-heel" actually has a pretty interesting history (patent attached). The neck is a wooden shell surrounding a cast magnesium core that can be precisely adjusted in a few dimensions by machine screws. I have an old National version and have played a few on old Kays with that joint. It's a really interesting concept, but the fly in the ointment is that clever engineering aside, the necks were made on the cheap and are extremely clunky.

Patent Images