The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Hi guys, is this a very nice low cost amp for getting close to the Hard Bop/Soul Jazz tone of 50s and 60s (i.e. Wes Montgomery)?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

i don't believe the little jazz has a wes montgomery setting.

Plenty of youtubes online to give an impression. It's a clean amp. Lots of bottom end (i had the 8 inch version and the bass was to much for my taste). Good EQ.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    i don't believe the little jazz has a wes montgomery setting.

So is it a general jazz amp?

User Info Menu

I really like this kind of sound from this Carvin amp (which I don't know the model or if it is a tube or transistor amp) at minute 4:12

I know that it's even for the guitar, of course, but I heard differences with other amps used for playing the L-5CES, and I really like this one.

DV Mark Jazz 12 can do this job?

User Info Menu

Looks like a Carvin Belair 2x12 50 watt amp he's using. Very nice rig.

Carvin BELAIR 2 x 12 50W All-Tube Combo Amp - Carvin Audio

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOPGUN860

DV Mark Jazz 12 can do this job?
    No. If you listen to the clip the guitar gets a little gritty after en few seconds. That's nog going to happen with a LJ.

If you want to listen to a LJ, why don't you find clips of the LJ? Here is mister Jim!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V_Jsw9ozeU

User Info Menu

Hi guys, is this a very nice low cost amp for getting close to the Hard Bop/Soul Jazz tone of 50s and 60s (i.e. Wes Montgomery)?
    I’ve had a Jazz 12 as my stage amp for about 2 years in the club where I’m house band leader. It’s a great jazz amp that puts out the “right” tone for everything from bop to blues, and it does justice to all my guitars (Eastman 810CE7, AF207, LP7, Carvin 727, Raines Tele7 etc - all with humbuckers except an EMG active in the LP; I own no guitars with SC).

But........what gave Wes that special tone was his chops, not his equipment. He used many amps including a Super, a Twin, and even a Standel - and he always sounded like him. You can’t buy that sound - you have to make it. Do yourself a favor and don’t chase the sound of others. Find the sound that lets you say what you have to say with your guitar. Then work on sounding like the best possible you.

FWIW, Jon Dalton is using a pick in that clip with the L5 through a Carvin. He doesn't really sound much like Wes (who, as I assume you know, played with his thumb).
    Last edited by nevershouldhavesoldit; 06-01-2021 at 04:25 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Looks like a Carvin Belair 2x12 50 watt amp he's using. Very nice rig.

Carvin BELAIR 2 x 12 50W All-Tube Combo Amp - Carvin Audio
    I like very much that sound and I did some research and I see that the amp in the video above is the Carvin Nomad 112 (1x12), not properly the Belair that is 2x12. Thanks for your answer and the precious model name.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    I’ve had a Jazz 12 as my stage amp for about 2 years in the club where I’m house band leader. It’s a great jazz amp that puts out the “right” tone for everything from bop to blues, and it does justice to all my guitars (Eastman 810CE7, AF207, LP7, Carvin 727, Raines Tele7 etc - all with humbuckers except an EMG active in the LP; I own no guitars with SC).

But........what gave Wes that special tone was his chops, not his equipment. He used many amps including a Super, a Twin, and even a Standel - and he always sounded like him. You can’t buy that sound - you have to make it. Do yourself a favor and don’t chase the sound of others. Find the sound that lets you say what you have to say with your guitar. Then work on sounding like the best possible you.

FWIW, Jon Dalton is using a pick in that clip with the L5 through a Carvin. He doesn't really sound much like Wes (who, as I assume you know, played with his thumb).
    Precious advise. Thank you very much. I don't want to chase Wes sound but just to being inspirate with a little bit of his tone. For me the sound when I'm playing is important because it can make me play at my best if I like it. Thank you again, guys. I think that I will go for the DV Mark, no doubts.

User Info Menu

DV Mark makes excellent jazz amps. I have a Little Jazz, and I like it a lot. I bought it for the portability, and it turns out I like it even better for the sound. The Jazz 12 might sound a little better, I don't know because I haven't heard one in person, but it would have to sound very good to be better than the Little Jazz. I suspect they sound very similar, because they share the same amplifier, just different speakers.

User Info Menu

The Jazz 12 is an excellent amp. I’ve had mine for about six years and it gives me a wonderful tone.

User Info Menu

I haven't tried the Jazz 12, but I've used my Little Jazz though a JBL D130 speaker before.
    They're great amps - they have warm tone and a well thought out EQ.
    My only criticism is the reverb could be better, but on low settings it's useable.

User Info Menu

Thanks at all for the answers, I like the warm sound as you can see. I ordered the DV Mark Jazz 12 right now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    I know that fact but that was a particular jazz sound that I liked that is, somehow, warm. Thanks again sir.

User Info Menu

Thanks at all for the answers, I like the warm sound as you can see. I ordered the DV Mark Jazz 12 right now.
    Did you get it? Any update?