The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    I see absolutely nothing wrong with a refinish on a old guitar just like restoring a 1955 Chevy.

As Marco would say it only bothers the cork sniffers.
    I'm with you on that Vinny.
    Even though I've sniffed a lot of corks in my days! Nothing worse than a 'corked' bottle of wine.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    "The bridge is Ebony and there are some holes drilled into the base. I wonder if that was a John D'Angelico thing in the 30's or an aftermarket mod? Perhaps Deacon Mark, FSW6, Sgcim or Wintermoon (our resident DA experts) could shed some light on the "ventilated" bridge

I am sure there are people owning / knowing more about them than I do. But I domknow the answer to this one - yes - that is typical for the very very early DAngelicos and definately an original. He hollowed out the underside of the bridge base, to make the bridge as light as possible. Many 32-34s dont have that bridge anymore because they were so fragile. Quite opposite to what Daquisto later did and made the bridges very wide and massive. Benedetto also talks about this in his book, IIRC.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fws6
    I am sure there are people owning / knowing more about them than I do. But I domknow the answer to this one - yes - that is typical for the very very early DAngelicos and definately an original. He hollowed out the underside of the bridge base, to make the bridge as light as possible. Many 32-34s dont have that bridge anymore because they were so fragile. Quite opposite to what Daquisto later did and made the bridges very wide and massive. Benedetto also talks about this in his book, IIRC.
    Frank, I think he said it has holes drilled into it. Not hollowed out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Frank, I think he said it has holes drilled into it. Not hollowed out.
    The holes are drilled right through the side of the bridge base.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    The holes are drilled right through the side of the bridge base.
    Yes sometimes holes drilled sideways through the saddle, too

User Info Menu

Nothing wrong with milling out a bridge, and/or drilling holes out, if it improves the sound of the guitar.
    Attached Images Attached Images Two D'Angelico Excels-roger-bridge-2-jpg Two D'Angelico Excels-roger-bridge_1-jpg 

User Info Menu

Yes that is a German (reissue) bridge but I am sure DA did that too on his early 30s guitars. He dropped it because the bridges were too fragile. Isnt there an ancient thread on this too. I dont remember

User Info Menu

Two D'Angelico Excels-8e722abe-c5d5-421a-a161-cbc79f44b7b6-jpg

here’s that drilled out bridge. No idea if John did it or someone else.

User Info Menu

Yes original like that , only in the early 30s. Nice sloppy work with the holes not lining up.

i must have mixed up sideway holes in the German bridge with sideway holes in the saddle though in my post above

John was of the opinion that the lighter the bridge the better the sound (opposed to Daquisto who reversed to a very wide bridge base)

he also did sometimes hollow out (with a drill) the saddle from the underside.

User Info Menu

Comparing 2 DAs like that must have been incredible. I’ve only played 2 in my life, a late ‘30s A and a mando!

both had that same beautiful smoothness. Like a perfected version of a great Gibson.