Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 197
  1. #101

    User Info Menu

    I like the comment about no architect in charge when describing Heritage.
    The older guys while competent guitar builders really had funny ideas about aesthetic and what constituted a great archtop imo.

    Like I've said before I played one excellent sounding Sweet 16 archtop with a pencil thin neck , out of the many Golden Eagles,Super Eagles,Johnny Smith Rose, etc along with their other thinlines,etc.
    Hard to believe I'm the only one here of this opinion. But as archtop boutique builds go, Heritage is lowest on my list.
    Maybe since Pete Farmer is now in charge of building it's changed, and I for one certainly hope so.

    But to even compare any older Heritage to a Mark Campellone build or one of Gibsons Crimson Archtops is reaching. Sorry fellas but no contest.
    And again it's only my opinion, you all allowed to believe what makes you happy.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #102

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    I like the comment about no architect in charge when describing Heritage.
    The older guys while competent guitar builders really had funny ideas about aesthetic and what constituted a great archtop imo.

    Like I've said before I played one excellent sounding Sweet 16 archtop with a pencil thin neck , out of the many Golden Eagles,Super Eagles,Johnny Smith Rose, etc along with their other thinlines,etc.
    Hard to believe I'm the only one here of this opinion. But as archtop boutique builds go, Heritage is lowest on my list.
    Maybe since Pete Farmer is now in charge of building it's changed, and I for one certainly hope so.

    But to even compare any older Heritage to a Mark Campellone build or one of Gibsons Crimson Archtops is reaching. Sorry fellas but no contest.
    And again it's only my opinion, you all allowed to believe what makes you happy.
    The horse you have been beating for such a long time is dead and beaten to dust.

  4. #103

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    And again it's only my opinion, you all allowed to believe what makes you happy.
    This is a fair point. Every day you can find others who share almost the same space and time yet see the world very differently. This is true with politics, history, religion, etiquette, and science. Each brain makes an attempt to create order of their living experience and thus predictability and security. That settles with some of us having more flexibility with thoughts and beliefs and others with less, depending on what's needed to protect our ego.

    Life is hard and the hours are a bitch. We all do what we can.

  5. #104

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    I like the comment about no architect in charge when describing Heritage.
    The older guys while competent guitar builders really had funny ideas about aesthetic and what constituted a great archtop imo.

    Like I've said before I played one excellent sounding Sweet 16 archtop with a pencil thin neck , out of the many Golden Eagles,Super Eagles,Johnny Smith Rose, etc along with their other thinlines,etc.
    Hard to believe I'm the only one here of this opinion. But as archtop boutique builds go, Heritage is lowest on my list.
    Maybe since Pete Farmer is now in charge of building it's changed, and I for one certainly hope so.

    But to even compare any older Heritage to a Mark Campellone build or one of Gibsons Crimson Archtops is reaching. Sorry fellas but no contest.
    And again it's only my opinion, you all allowed to believe what makes you happy.
    At one time I traveled for my work and would get to Lansing MI about twice a month. I always stopped at Elderly to check out what they had, at that time they carried a large selection of archtops, among them many Heritage guitars. I never found one I liked, they all seemed lacking when compared to the other offerings. This is also just my opinion.
    Last edited by rrbasic; 06-20-2021 at 11:30 AM.

  6. #105

    User Info Menu

    I offered my opinion and findings because from the pics shown in this thread, I would believe Heritage Archtops are superior as well.
    Some of you have been very fortunate, and I'm really glad for you. But that has not been the norm on my 30 years of playing many of their offerings.

    And as I've also stated Pete Farmer seems to understand these downfalls and is now correcting these things. So onward and upwards.
    Let's all find the best instruments to play out there!

  7. #106

    User Info Menu

    Hey Jads57

    Heritage again - but seriously...-1d07c7bb-3a68-4c61-a93b-5b15fa522a39-jpeg

  8. #107

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by rrbasic
    I at one time I traveled for my work and would get to Lansing MI about twice a month. I always stopped at Elderly to check out what they had, at that time they carried a large selection of archtops, among them many Heritage guitars. I never found one I liked, they all seemed lacking when compared to the other offerings. This is also just my opinion.
    Years ago, there was a store in Berkeley, California called Blue Note Music that was a Heritage dealer. I spent a few hours there one day and played about 20 Heritage archtops. While I found the workmanship fine, the sound just was "different" to my ears than a comparable Gibson. As much as I liked the price, I left with little interest in their guitars. Soon after, I was hired to play a bunch of quartet gigs with a cat who played a Heritage 575 with a spruce top. We had the same amps and used the same strings. IMO, my 175 sounded so much better. Then a deal came up on a Heritage 535 and I grabbed it. I also has a 335 at the time and after a few months of trying to like the Heritage, away it went. A bit after that, I played a few gigs with Mimi Fox who played a spruce top Heritage 575 and somehow THAT guitar sounded great. I think it was more Mimi than the guitar TBH. I think the thinner bodies and Schaller pickups made the Heritage guitars brighter than their Gibson counterparts. If I was a fan of George Barne's tone, the Heritage guitars would have worked well for me, but I like a darker tone so I have stuck with Gibsons. I eventually gave up on Guild, vintage Epiphone and Japanese made Ibanez archtops for the same reason. I have a Heritage made D'Angelico copy from the 90's that has the warm tone that I like, but my understanding is that it was carved with a thicker top than the standard Heritage Super Eagle and has a thicker body as well. I also understand that some Heritage guitars were made with thicker tops so I am guessing that I would like certain Heritage archtops, but not most of them. It is just a preference. I like their finishes, and lots of their esthetics (the headstocks are fine, but I could do without the pointy pickguards, ouch!).

    To those of you who have not found a Heritage archtop you liked, I understand. To those of you who love your Heritage guitars, Congrats! Guitars are like women. One man's queen is another man's sweat hog.

  9. #108

    User Info Menu

    What I don’t care for is an entire thread bashing Heritage. I’ve spent ten years getting to know and own some 25 of their guitars. Each was unique. Heritage wasn’t attempting to replicate the thick topped Gibson sound, which as far as anyone knows they came to quite by accident trying to cut down on warranty repairs. Find me a thread where you find Heritage owners who constantly bash Gibson. I don’t think you’ll find even one. Does that mean Heritage owners have more class?

  10. #109

    User Info Menu

    I've never had the fortune to play a Heritage archtop but had a 150 for many years. I was looking for a nice Les Paul Standard back in the day and someone suggested I try a "Heritage" - a what?, I said. I compared 2 different LP Standards with the 150 and it just felt and sounded better. Superb neck, not too thin, obviously shaped by a real human and the Schaller pickups were great traditional PAF-sounding units. The only thing I didn't like were the roller bridge saddles. Anyway, I took it home.

    That isn't "Gibson bashing", just fact, in that particular case.

    Beautiful guitar in the OP, by the way

  11. #110

    User Info Menu

    The roller bridges work nicely for those with Bigsbys. The bridges are marvelously engineered but don't seem optimal in many guitars. The Schaller tailpiece also is brilliantly engineered but heavy. String changes are a breeze with them. I swapped them out though for a more standard type.

    Schaller Golden 50s are good PAF type pickups.

  12. #111

    User Info Menu

    Setiously
    Golden Eagle
    Heritage again - but seriously...-745b4092-1176-4895-9b4f-e4a68b15cee6-jpegHeritage again - but seriously...-82918c96-0d86-456b-9b52-abd014e8c548-jpegHeritage again - but seriously...-97d1bffe-0ce2-498c-bdf5-06c99b975023-jpegHeritage again - but seriously...-03dda625-e79d-4e22-b4f9-796f7a664aa3-jpegHeritage again - but seriously...-590c7f97-6ee7-4d75-a551-c9c01bff83d3-jpegHeritage again - but seriously...-26c27316-1f75-446f-81cd-d6dba36f4339-jpeg

  13. #112

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Crm114
    Setiously
    Golden Eagle
    Heritage again - but seriously...-745b4092-1176-4895-9b4f-e4a68b15cee6-jpegHeritage again - but seriously...-82918c96-0d86-456b-9b52-abd014e8c548-jpegHeritage again - but seriously...-97d1bffe-0ce2-498c-bdf5-06c99b975023-jpegHeritage again - but seriously...-03dda625-e79d-4e22-b4f9-796f7a664aa3-jpegHeritage again - but seriously...-590c7f97-6ee7-4d75-a551-c9c01bff83d3-jpegHeritage again - but seriously...-26c27316-1f75-446f-81cd-d6dba36f4339-jpeg
    This reminds me, sadly, of my 90's Golden Eagle, the "one that got away." Had to sell it to deal with some credit card debt, and grieved it ever since.

  14. #113

    User Info Menu

    Dude
    sadly I remember all too well your comments. When I was married my wife acquired more animals and yet was so bad with “her money” I was always selling something to pay vet bills. I bought this from Lanning, great guy

    all the best

    BigMike


    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    This reminds me, sadly, of my 90's Golden Eagle, the "one that got away." Had to sell it to deal with some credit card debt, and grieved it ever since.

  15. #114

    User Info Menu

    Why can't guitars just get along? Sometimes they do and the audience has a great time.

    Look at the wear on these instruments. That's a sign of love, surely.



  16. #115

    User Info Menu

    In Gibson threads, Gibsons get bashed. In Heritage threads, Heritage gets bashed.

    The Internet brings out the worst in people it seems....

  17. #116

    User Info Menu

    Ghost built Eldorado sighting light as a feather, loud snd sweet, 1992 build with all the founders signing the label

    Heritage again - but seriously...-be063f4f-a620-4222-a140-affa179f68b8-jpegHeritage again - but seriously...-92a9816c-e3f8-49cf-8b3f-61e3e4061897-jpegHeritage again - but seriously...-4cad2e1a-9672-4981-9314-81464b620342-jpegHeritage again - but seriously...-7253e381-1d50-440f-9ef7-d981af9ce839-jpeg

  18. #117

    User Info Menu

    Yeah baby
    Heritage again - but seriously...-c63d48eb-e51c-470b-b2c9-05a9fd2f0c9d-jpegHeritage again - but seriously...-5a9f1fbc-fded-44dc-9c3a-7768124d9785-jpegHeritage again - but seriously...-cddd109e-e8a5-4b92-a2ec-b90e9d422cd9-jpegHeritage again - but seriously...-e50df7cc-e1cb-4ce8-8127-e57c5a9d960f-jpeg

  19. #118

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Crm114
    Ghost built Eldorado sighting light as a feather, loud snd sweet, 1992 build with all the founders signing the label

    Heritage again - but seriously...-be063f4f-a620-4222-a140-affa179f68b8-jpegHeritage again - but seriously...-92a9816c-e3f8-49cf-8b3f-61e3e4061897-jpegHeritage again - but seriously...-4cad2e1a-9672-4981-9314-81464b620342-jpegHeritage again - but seriously...-7253e381-1d50-440f-9ef7-d981af9ce839-jpeg
    As Fred Sanford used to say, “Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you honey!” Notice how beautifully Heritage handcrafted a guitar for Gretsch using their own SE. Absolutely gorgeous! If you only had one guitar and that were it you’d be blessed!!!

  20. #119

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Crm114
    Yeah baby
    Heritage again - but seriously...-c63d48eb-e51c-470b-b2c9-05a9fd2f0c9d-jpegHeritage again - but seriously...-5a9f1fbc-fded-44dc-9c3a-7768124d9785-jpegHeritage again - but seriously...-cddd109e-e8a5-4b92-a2ec-b90e9d422cd9-jpegHeritage again - but seriously...-e50df7cc-e1cb-4ce8-8127-e57c5a9d960f-jpeg
    Yeah baby is right! Cuz baby got back!!! Just look at that back side. Beyond words man. BM, you shoot a mean EL Dog there too! Go on with your bad self!

  21. #120

    User Info Menu

    Well it certainly brought out the worst in me. My apologies offending Heritage owners. I still stand by what I said, but I'm sorry by offending Heritage owners in this thread.

  22. #121
    Only two kinds of guitars Good and Bad one mans junk is another mans jewelry.

  23. #122

    User Info Menu

    We're all friends here. The way I see it, if too many people liked Heritage, they'd raise the prices even further.

    To be fair and balanced, I'd have to say that one of my all time favorite guitars is a Nashville built Gibson. Not everyone likes this overstated design, but I see it as the builders held nothing back on this one. It balances, plays and sounds perfect (whatever perfect is). The wood is incredibly well figured. I would love to see Hank Garland play the hell out of this.

    I also got a batch of Memphis Gibsons that are very fine semi-hollows, the Lucilles and a 345 even better than the mid 1960s Kalamazoo was making because they are lighter.

    Heritage again - but seriously...-50051889771_d52a09ee43_c-1-jpgHeritage again - but seriously...-50051889666_6d499719d1_c-jpgHeritage again - but seriously...-50051889256_7ed5e3eed4_c-jpgHeritage again - but seriously...-37523560311_3b5fe0c72e_c-jpgHeritage again - but seriously...-50051316043_7f3bc88e40_c-jpgHeritage again - but seriously...-37523563731_e96f7949c8_c-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Heritage again - but seriously...-37523560651_0d09285896_c-jpg 

  24. #123

    User Info Menu

    Gibson or Heritage? Gibson or Heritage? Gibson or Heritage? ...

    Of course, I love them both. When I discovered Heritage archtops about 20 or so years ago, I quickly realized that it was kind of pointless to compare, say, a Golden Eagle with a Gibson L-5 CES. Having played Gibson Citations and Kalamazoo Award guitars, it seemed to me that the apt comparison was how does the GE compare with, say, a Kalamazoo Award? As it happens, the two instruments are built along very similar lines and they sound and play much the same. The same is true of the Johnny Smith Rose and the Gibson Johnny Smith. I don't think Heritage made a guitar that is as heavily constructed as the L-5CES. Jim Duerloo, et al., _could_ have made a guitar to that specification, but that was not what they were after, apparently. They were chasing after the Citation/KA sound and look that these guys built when they were at Gibson.

    I think they succeeded. Check out the Kalamazoo Award sometime, if you get the chance. Norlin or not, it's an exceptional instrument--acoustically and as an acoustic-electric guitar. It really is an acoustic guitar, however. With this comparison in mind, play a Golden Eagle. I don't think there is a clear winner. They are both superb guitars.

    I'm not sure it's useful to compare the Super 400 and the Super Eagle, either. They are both very viable instruments. However, they are built to different objectives--the 400 is an electric guitar, while the SE is an acoustic-electric guitar. I love them both.

  25. #124

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    We're all friends here. The way I see it, if too many people liked Heritage, they'd raise the prices even further.

    To be fair and balanced, I'd have to say that one of my all time favorite guitars is a Nashville built Gibson. Not everyone likes this overstated design, but I see it as the builders held nothing back on this one. It balances, plays and sounds perfect (whatever perfect is). The wood is incredibly well figured. I would love to see Hank Garland play the hell out of this.

    I also got a batch of Memphis Gibsons that are very fine semi-hollows, the Lucilles and a 345 even better than the mid 1960s Kalamazoo was making because they are lighter.

    Heritage again - but seriously...-50051889771_d52a09ee43_c-1-jpgHeritage again - but seriously...-50051889666_6d499719d1_c-jpgHeritage again - but seriously...-50051889256_7ed5e3eed4_c-jpgHeritage again - but seriously...-37523560311_3b5fe0c72e_c-jpgHeritage again - but seriously...-50051316043_7f3bc88e40_c-jpgHeritage again - but seriously...-37523563731_e96f7949c8_c-jpg
    that’s beautiful. I’m happy you kept that guitar. Absolutely magnificent!

    And could forget the Lucilles? I owned both a red and a black one. The Red was absolutely stunning. What great playing guitars too. Heavy, but a player!

  26. #125

    User Info Menu

    Msrty that Super 400 it’s like a great big old Buick Roadmaster convertible from the 50s it is what it is and you want to ride down the road with that thing smiling