The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

I posted to get recommendations for a new guitar and you people really made me go out there and try different things.

I first got a used Godin 5th Ave P90 via a local online classifieds website (pics in the above thread).

Today this beautiful Ibanez AS153 arrived from Musik Produktiv in Germany (shipped extremely fast from Germany to Norway for free). I couldn't be happier. It needs some setup, but I can handle that. (The dust is mostly due to tons of pollen around the house these days...)

I wasn't too sure about the JSM10 when I tried it, but I got this one at half the price of the JSM and it's stunning value for money.

The Godin and Ibanez together came under my budget for 1 guitar.

Last edited by kovacs; 05-27-2021 at 06:20 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice guitar

User Info Menu

That's a beauty! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Very nice, enjoy it!
    Ibanez is the best bang for the buck imho!

User Info Menu

Nice guitar man! Congratz!

User Info Menu

VERY nice! Ibanez makes great hollow and semi-hollow guitars!

User Info Menu

Very nice, great find.

The Ibanez 153 and 103 are the nicest semis they ever made, and likely some of the nicest made anywhere.

User Info Menu

Great looking Ibby! I’ve been eyeing that model for awhile. Ibanez makes such good guitars. Everyone I’ve ever owned has been built beautifully. In my opinion, they make the best lower-priced boxes out there. My AF95FM-ays was as nice as, or nicer than any of the more expensive guitars I’ve had. Enjoy your new 153!

User Info Menu

It's a beauty. Is that little silver switch for coil splitting? or some kind of boost? very deluxe!

Also, I'm sure your Godin will be lots of fun too. Happy NGDx2 days !!!!

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone. It plays like a dream. Very happy with it so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Longways to Go
    It's a beauty. Is that little silver switch for coil splitting? or some kind of boost? very deluxe!Also, I'm sure your Godin will be lots of fun too. Happy NGDx2 days !!!!
    Yes! It is a three way switch for the neck pickup: 1) Full humbucker, 2) single coil, and 3) parallel wiring.
    Last edited by kovacs; 05-31-2021 at 02:54 PM.

User Info Menu

Hi,

Im in the same boat here in Ireland. I have had the expensive Gibson 335s and parted with them. However I wanted to get a reasonably priced 335! So I see the Ibanez JSM10 and I heard a guy playing it on you tube and he sounded too toppy not warm sounding. He may have had an effect on but it wasn't mentioned.
    Then I came across the AS153 and it sounded great.
    Did you play the JSM10 and what did you think in comparrison with the 153

I was surprised at the different sound as both use the same pickups.
    Thanks.

Joe

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Navan55
    Hi,

Yes, I did play the JSM10 (I mention it a couple of times in this thread) but actually bought the AS153 without trying it first (online bargain).

I was a bit intimidated by the JSM10 when I tried it, but that was probably because of the size of these hollowbodies, which to me is larger than I am used to so that's mostly due to experience. The sound was excellent but I felt that it did not respond the way I would like, and I was a bit concerned about the price.

To my ears there is no difference between these two guitars, and the "feel" is actually pretty similar now that I had a chance to try both. They are comfortable guitars. YouTube videos are not usually a good representation of sound IMHO.

The AS153 plays great. I did some minor setup tweaks (had to relax the truss rod a bit) and that was very easy to do on the 153.

So unless you really need that JS headstock and trussrod cover, I'd say seriously consider the AS153 first.
    Last edited by kovacs; 08-06-2021 at 06:35 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Navan55
    Hi,

Im in the same boat here in Ireland. I have had the expensive Gibson 335s and parted with them. However I wanted to get a reasonably priced 335! So I see the Ibanez JSM10 and I heard a guy playing it on you tube and he sounded too toppy not warm sounding. He may have had an effect on but it wasn't mentioned.
    Then I came across the AS153 and it sounded great.

Thanks.

Joe

User Info Menu

Hi thank you for your detailed message.
    I initially was interested in the js10, also the ibanez 153. However inoticed on Reverb there was an ibanez AM93 going for €575. I looked at the specs and apart from the ebony fingerboard coil tap switch and the headstock they were very similar. I did some research and I loved the warm sound that I was after came from the AM93. So I bought it.
    I am taking delivery next week.
    Thanks again. Joe

User Info Menu

Hi, while I considered the ibanez js10 I am not crazy about split coil switches. My deluxe '93 strat ticks that box. I also didn't like the headstock. I did like the ebony fingerboard but I checked it out and it was suggested that the rosewood board gives a warmer tone.
    So I saw a beautiful quilted maple AM93 AYS going for €550. I bought it and it's just what I needed. It easily matches the gibson 335 I had and at a quarter of the price. When I figure out how to attach a photo I will do so.

User Info Menu

It's great they finally put the output jack on the side, the face mount drove me crazy on my AS. Good Luck with it, it's gorgeous.