The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 42 of 42

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Are you suggesting that we are all old enough here to know the size and scale of a cassette?
    Bah, humbug!! That pathetic little box is a toy, not a cassette. THESE...

Polytone Baby Brute-8-tracks-jpg

are cassettes. Rock on, young 'uns!
    Polytone Baby Brute-babycha-gif

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Are you suggesting that we are all old enough here to know the size and scale of a cassette?
    (In my case you're right, haha)
    :-D
    Anyway, cool amp! They sound great is my experience and good call on the new speaker front!
    Old?! At least here in Finland the C-cassettes are doing a comeback right after vinyl!

This is a catalog of Finnish C-cassettes of the biggest Finnish record store:
    Finnish - Cassettes - Record Shop X

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    Old?! At least here in Finland the C-cassettes are doing a comeback right after vinyl!
    Wow - cassette lovers are so dedicated that they took the fight to the Finnish!
    Polytone Baby Brute-smiley_hysterical-gif

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Wow - cassette lovers are so dedicated that they took the fight to the Finnish!
    Polytone Baby Brute-smiley_hysterical-gif
    Yes, of course it is still a hobby among the indie rockers but sometimes those hobbies will be mainstream. You never know.

User Info Menu

For a while I tried using a Mini-Brute-II, and then a Mega-Brute Combo. I just could not get it on with either of them. As the old breakup cliche goes, "It's me, not you."

If Your Partner Says "It's Not You It's Me," Here's What It Really Means

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    For a while I tried using a Mini-Brute-II, and then a Mega-Brute Combo. I just could not get it on with either of them. As the old breakup cliche goes, "It's me, not you."

If Your Partner Says "It's Not You It's Me," Here's What It Really Means

I am afraid that eventually the same happened to me and the Baby Brute. Some weeks ago I realised that I didn’t play with it. Mostly I play with my TV Reverb (modified DIY AB763 amp) or with a DIY Quilter TB202 combo. Both with 12” speaker.

Then I tested intensively all my amps and especially I compared the Baby Brute to my Mini Brute IV with 15” speaker. The Mini IV won, it does not have a slightest boxiness which I heard in Baby Brute. Maybe it is the same thing that many like in BB when they say that ’it cuts through’ in the band setting. Unfortunately my band is on a hiatus so I have had no chance to test it in real life.

About same time my pal mailed me and told that he had just bought an ES175 and asked me advise on Polytones. I gave him one advise: buy my amp! He bought it and loved it. He is a better player so I feel quite good about that deal!

Now I have had 70s-80s era Polytones in all speaker configurations. 15” model won. Who would’ve guessed!

So what day is it when You have sold Your new amp? SNAD?

User Info Menu

I tripped over this thread researching Polytone amps. I purchased my Polytone around 1983 while I was in high school in Arizona. The amp has served me well over the years. Still blown away by the tone and the volume. It is great seeing other folks that appreciate these little marvels. Due to my current living conditions, amping up isn't practical. If someone is interested in my Baby Brute 1, it is in perfect working order. Calling it mint condition would be accurate. I have babied this thing, no pun intended, the last 40 years. Lots of great memories with this amp, from high school garage bands to gigging with my daughter. This amp is looking for a good home at a fair price.
    Attached Images Attached Images Polytone Baby Brute-polytone-01-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by csmerts
    I tripped over this thread researching Polytone amps. I purchased my Polytone around 1983 while I was in high school in Arizona. The amp has served me well over the years. Still blown away by the tone and the volume. It is great seeing other folks that appreciate these little marvels. Due to my current living conditions, amping up isn't practical. If someone is interested in my Baby Brute 1, it is in perfect working order. Calling it mint condition would be accurate. I have babied this thing, no pun intended, the last 40 years. Lots of great memories with this amp, from high school garage bands to gigging with my daughter. This amp is looking for a good home at a fair price.
    Wow, a legendary amp with a story! Or lots of stories!

I am sure You will get Your amp forward when You use the For Sale department:
    https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/sale/

Good Luck With Your Sale! Looks like You live in US so I am afraid I (living in Finland, EU) ain't asking the price.

User Info Menu

So what day is it when You have sold Your new amp? SNAD?
    Sold Amp Day.

User Info Menu

You can't go wrong with a Polytone... I have a late eighties baby brute... it sounds great! I love the 8" speaker
    I don't play it much these days because I'm plugging in to my Bose PA for convenience at gigs. Also... I'm using an Acoustic Image in my studio.
    I sold a guitar about a month ago and pulled out the polytone for the guy to try it out and it kinda died... I just took it out again to test it and it works great. that darn distortion was messing up the sound. I don't know why they ever put that feature on this great little amp. I think I'll use it for a while
    Rob

User Info Menu

I know it’s an old thread, but there’s some nice Baby Brute stories shared. Here’s mine:

Back in the 80s I was studying with Remo Palmier in NYC. He recommended a Baby Brute and told me to talk to so-and-so at Manny’s Music. I did just that, and out came the store manager with a new Baby Brute in its box. He looked me up and down and gave me what turned out to be a great price, adding rather gruffly, “Remo Shremo, I don’t care kid, that’s my best price!!”

It was 1983 and I used that baby on many a gig. It’s a fine amp. Play yours in good health!

User Info Menu

What is the difference between a Baby Brute and a Teeny Brute?
    Thank you

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    What is the difference between a Baby Brute and a Teeny Brute?
    Thank you
    I remember that Baby has a smaller cab and 8” speaker, Teeny is a bit bigger with 10” speaker. Amp is same.

I have heard about both closed and open back Teeny Brutes. And some Teenies have a red tolex!

User Info Menu

I remember that Baby has a smaller cab and 8” speaker, Teeny is a bit bigger with 10” speaker. Amp is same.

I have heard about both closed and open back Teeny Brutes. And some Teenies have a red tolex!
    Thanks. This may sound stupid but I thought my Teeny has an 8"! Can't check at the moment as it's at a friend's where we rehearse. I'll be able to check Thursday eve.
    ps. The Teeny doesn't have a reverb like on some Baby pics here.

User Info Menu

Thanks Herbie.
    Ofcourse you are correct regarding the 10" in the Teeny.
    I suppose I assumed it was an 8" (in mine) as the amp seemed so much smaller than my MBIII!

User Info Menu

Yes, the Baby Brute has the 8". There was also a "Taurus" version of the Baby Brute, with an 8" speaker, in an open-back cabinet. I had both at one point.

User Info Menu

I have a baby brute Taurus with the 8 inch speaker. It has a replacement speaker I added and it is ok amp really for a small one. I probably should sell it though and get something else. I don't use it other than once in a great while.