The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 155

User Info Menu

The Telecaster is one of the 4 or 5 great guitar designs of all time. It is tremendously versatile. It is capable, as mentioned above, of producing gorgeous jazz sounds--using the original equipment pickups, or with a humbucker neck pickup (if that's your pleasure).

In addition to my archtops, I think I have had at least one Tele for almost the last 50 years. Wouldn't want to be without one.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'd git me one in a heartbeat if it made me play anything like Brad Paisley.
    JD

User Info Menu

Well, Joe, I'd say you're doing pretty well with the guitars you've already got!

User Info Menu

Whenever I gig with my Tele I try to work Paisley's "The Nervous Breakdown" into a set somewhere. It's not jazz, but it sure is fun.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Well, Joe, I'd say you're doing pretty well with the guitars you've already got!
    Just one more C. One more.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Whenever I gig with my Tele I try to work Paisley's "The Nervous Breakdown" into a set somewhere. It's not jazz, but it sure is fun.
    Wow, You can play that? You got me man. By a wide margin!
    JD

User Info Menu

Well, I can play Paisley, but I can't play a lot of the stuff that you play.

User Info Menu

Paisley is one of the best player of our day.
    You can play Paisley. That says a lot bro.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

I’m sorry guys, just an update on my baby..
    After owning the guitar for almost 2 weeks, I can make a better assessment of it.
    In one sentence.
    Best guitar I’ve ever had.
    I made a minor adjustment of the truss rod. Even that whole experience was splendid. The wrench fit perfectly. The nut turned like butter. A 1/4 turn added some much needed relief. The strings oscillate more freely and it even sounds better now. Intonation is spot on over the entire fretboard.
    Everything about this guitar is top notch.
    Sound - crystal clear. Note articulation is superb. Even after the TI Jazz swings have broken in and got a little thumpy, the sound is exactly what I like. Acoustically it’s pretty loud. It projects a beautifully balanced sound that matches its size. Which by the way is 17-1/2”.
    Playability - absolutely 1st rate. 22 frets. The whole neck is right there. The 4 octave arpeggio on Boy Next Door is actually easy to play, up and back on this guitar. The neck is deadly fast. I’m afraid to go back and play my L5. My GB100 will be a good match. AKA took the words right out of my mouth. The accuracy makes you slow it down a pinch and you play cleaner. If Johnny Smith heard me playing his masterpieces on this guitar, he wouldn’t want to punch me.
    Looks and Quality - this guitar is sexy in Red. All you guys with Red guitars, ok I get it now.
    The poly finish , I hate to say.. I prefer it. It polished out to brand new, just like my GB100. And both guitars are around 20 years old. I hear no downgrade in the sound of these guitars over nitro finished guitars. And ZERO checking.

I am BLOWN away by this guitar. I am glad I have it.
    Just wanted to share that with you guys.

Joe D

User Info Menu

Dear Joey,
    What a nice instrument and equally great rendition of this tune. It seems like Michel Legrand wrote it specially for you.

How would you compare your new guitar, tone wise, with the Epiphone Emperor you also have?
    Be safe and take care my friend.

User Info Menu

I have always loved guitars with big headstocks.

D’A, D’AQ, GJS, Super 4, Super V.
    Big headstocks are sexy to me.

Glad you love your new guitar Bro. She is a beaut.
    Poly never checks….I hate finish cracks.

User Info Menu

Fred, thank you dear kind sir. You are one of a kind bro.
    The 2 are not comparable at all. If I were compare, I’d compare it to the Gibson Solid Formed. And the VDA will win out in every possible category.
    The EER is good, it punches way above its weight class. But the VDA also punches above its weight class and it’s in a higher weight class to begin with, if you know what I mean.
    If there was one thing I’d prefer about the EER over the VDA it would be neck profile. Shape only. Only because I will be playing the VDA all the time. It’s going to be much harder for my hand to go from from L5 to VDA then it would be to go from L5 to EER. The neck profile in the EER is eerily similar to the L5.
    Thank you, Fred.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    I have always loved guitars with big headstocks.
    D’A, D’AQ, GJS, Super 4, Super V.
    Big headstocks are sexy to me.
    Glad you love your new guitar Bro. She is a beaut.
    Poly never checks….I hate finish cracks.
    Thank you bro. I really do love this guitar. I am glad I was persistent about getting one. It all started that time when I saw a guy playing one in the lounge at the Ocean Resort. It left a mark.
    Thanks my brother.
    JD

User Info Menu

Does anyone have a resource or web link to information about the differences between the different NYL-X models? How is a 2 different from 4, from a 6 etc. I see a few of these floating around some seem to have solid carved tops, some don't without any rhyme or reason. Please help me educate myself. thanks!
    Last edited by Fat Fingers; 05-29-2021 at 02:16 PM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

Fingers, I looked and couldn’t find anything either.
    Hopefully someone will have something.
    My model is supposed to have pressed - solid top and a pressed laminated back. My tech and his partner swears the back on by my guitar is solid pressed. They traced the grain and it is exactly the same grain inside the guitar as it is outside. Same exact grain. Absolute breathtaking flame on the maple.
    JD

User Info Menu

Fingers and JD, Here ya go:

D'Angelico Guitars of America

From a Vestax catalog:

Vestax D'Angelico NYL-2-img_0779-jpgVestax D'Angelico NYL-2-img_0780-jpgVestax D'Angelico NYL-2-img_0781-jpg

User Info Menu

SS and CC, THANK YOU!
    That’s cool to see. Really cool.
    JD

User Info Menu

Joe,

I think that it's awesome that you've found such a match for your muse. I always thought that my Phil Upchurch CD on which he plays his Vestax DA sounds fantastic. Your clip demonstrates, too, the excellence of this instrument.

I have been well pleased always with my Japanese guitars.

Enjoy and create.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Steve, I’ve never understood the whole fascination with Tele’s. And I am afraid to, because I will go get one!
    Joe D
    Tele + flats + good setup = easiest playing guitar in the toolbox. And no sweat to get a delicious jazz tone! You NEED one!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Joe,
    I think that it's awesome that you've found such a match for your muse. I always thought that my Phil Upchurch CD on which he plays his Vestax DA sounds fantastic. Your clip demonstrates, too, the excellence of this instrument.
    I have been well pleased always with my Japanese guitars.
    Enjoy and create.
    You know it dawned on me, how much of numbskull I can be at times. And thanks everyone for not calling me out on the one..
    I love the “clear and accurate” sound of the VDA. I’ve unfavorably ( and unfairly ) compared it to my Emperor Regent. Well I am criticizing the EER for not having the clarity and zest of the VDA and it has 6 month old Ti Jazz Swing Strings on it! Pretty stupid in retrospect.
    I played the EER this morning and I just went ahead and started flying on it. I will order a set of new flat wounds for it and I am convinced it will return to the same level of “nice” that is had when I 1st played it.
    It will never be on the same level as the VDA but I can’t criticize it for something that I overlooked. Sorry guys. I can be a dope sometimes.
    GT, thanks for your input. Always fair. Always dead on accurate. And, always with a high level of class.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Esport
    Tele + flats + good setup = easiest playing guitar in the toolbox. And no sweat to get a delicious jazz tone! You NEED one!
    And it will probably fit in a large toolbox..
    Thanks Esport. I hope you are lovin that beautiful SF.
    JD

User Info Menu

Paisley is one of the best player of our day.
    You can play Paisley. That says a lot bro.
    Joe D
    For god's sake don't play that Paisley song Ticks.

That has got to be the stupidest song put out in the last few years. Worse than the WAP song. My GF heard it and said "I never want to hear that song again ever."

Good guitar parts though.

User Info Menu

And it will probably fit in a large toolbox..
    Thanks Esport. I hope you are lovin that beautiful SF.
    JD
    You owe it to yourself to give one a spin. I think you’ll find it to be an AHA moment! And thanks, I am indeed LOVING the SF.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I read somewhere that the Japanese have a very long tradition of exquisite woodworking, so when they turned to guitars, it was only right that they'd do amazing things. Even laminates like the MiJ L5ces/SuperV copies (like I have) are just phenomenal in their quality.

And you more than do that guitar justice. It is privileged to be in your lap, with you making the music on it.
    Back when I was a ceramic artist, I learned that the Japanese had a tradition in all craft work that the areas inside or under an object that would never or seldom be seen were to be finished to a level equal to that of the outside, visible parts. Also, that a piece that would otherwise be perfect was designed to have one tiny flaw as human perfection was regarded as an offense against the gods.*

* Perhaps this underlies the aesthetic of Raku ware, where the "happy accidents" provide the uniqueness of the piece.