The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 155

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JFranck
    Congrats, Joe ! Beautiful guitar, nice sound, and a beautiful rendition of "What are you doing..." is the arrangement yours?
    Just an objection : IMHO you should have played it on a Gibson Le Grand
    Hahaaa! I get that. If I had one, I probably would.. Thank You JFranck.
    Its funny , years ago I was working on this beautiful song and then a video surfaced on Johnny Smith playing this song live with a band at a Jazz Festival Event. So I basically merged my part in with some of Johnny's parts. So it is basically a combination of the two.
    The best part of his portion is a part where he does this cool trick where he fingers an A chord but alternates on the B an E strings the same note back and forth. Slickest thing I've ever seen.. I tried to show the fingering, but it doesnt work in this text box. The fingering goes like this..

0-7-0-7-8-10
    0-5-0-5----10
    6-----------10
    7-----------10
    0-----------0

I love that part.. See, the E and B notes are interchanged.. Very slick. Johnny is the Best.

Joe D

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks for the tip Joe !
    went to Youtube to see J.Smith : his playing is great (not the quality of the video) congrats for your transcription!

User Info Menu

I’ve a bit of experience with these. I owned both a blonde and blue NYL2’s back in 2012. I felt their fit and finish were absolutely on par with a Gibson or a Campellone Deluxe I also previously owned. The only difference is a lack of a lacquer finish on the NYL2’s. Seems I recall their NYL1 was the only one with a carved top and a lacquer finish which sold for $. But funny thing was that even though these aren’t completed in lacquer the finish was absolutely exceptional!

Great playing JD! Being a pianist, I’m a huge fan of Michel LeGrand. Did you know he wrote and orchestrated the sound on the film Lady Sings the Blues back in 1972? The soundtrack had one of the finest love themes ever created called, Love Theme. What do you think?

User Info Menu

Wow Joe, that's GR8! I love seeing / hearing stereotypes challenged. Japan, Korea, to me they're all fine instruments and you just proved that!

John D'A had his very own clones and I seriously doubt he'd be rolling in anything but cash were he alive to license his brilliance today.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    I’ve a bit of experience with these. I owned both a blonde and blue NYL2’s back in 2012. I felt their fit and finish were absolutely on par with a Gibson or a Campellone Deluxe I also previously owned. The only difference is a lack of a lacquer finish on the NYL2’s. Seems I recall their NYL1 was the only one with a carved top and a lacquer finish which sold for $. But funny thing was that even though these aren’t completed in lacquer the finish was absolutely exceptional!

Great playing JD! Being a pianist, I’m a huge fan of Michel LeGrand. Did you know he wrote and orchestrated the sound on the film Lady Sings the Blues back in 1972? The soundtrack had one of the finest love themes ever created called, Love Theme. What do you think?

Man 2B, that was really beautiful!
    Fabulous stuff.
    You know, any Guitar player who plays the stuff I play (my buddy/Tech Brian calls it "music to fall asleep to"), are really trying to play the piano on the guitar. So, I have such Great admiration for piano players. Pretty much all of them to be honest. Because they mastered their instrument waaayy more than I ever could.
    Thank you very much 2B.
    I never saw or even knew of the NYL-1. Brian told me he swears that this has a Nitro finish on it. He could be wrong. But in any event, It is a spectacularly finished guitar. And my ears are no where near close to being able to tell the difference. The solid wood top on this guitar could not be done any better. I love the guitar. Like really. I am crazy lucky to have it. I cant imagine a better instrument for what I do.
    Thanks 2B. I appreciate your input.
    JD
    Last edited by Max405; 05-24-2021 at 05:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Man 2B, that was really beautiful!
    Fabulous stuff.
    You know, any Guitar player who plays the stuff I play (my buddy/Tech Brian calls it "music to fall asleep to"), are really trying to play the piano on the guitar. So, I have such Great admiration for piano players. Pretty much all of them to be honest. Because they mastered their instrument waaayy more than I ever could.
    Thank you very much 2B.
    I never saw or even knew of the NYL-1. Brian told me he swears that this has a Nitro finish on it. He could be wrong. But in any event, It is a spectacularly finished guitar. And my ears are no where near close to being able to tell the difference. The solid wood top on this guitar could be better done. I love the guitar. Like really. I am crazy lucky to have it. I cant imagine a better instrument for what I do.
    Thanks 2B. I appreciate your input.
    JD
    That’s EXACTLY my point! The poly is so expertly applied it’s got a very very subtle application that even I couldn’t tell had I not known it was poly. I’ve never owned a poly guitar that was finished as well as these are. Another thing too is your color is an extremely rare version!!! Where’d you find it? Back in 2010 I bought RP’s NYL1 (Korean) and it too was finished in that same burgundy. I’ll try to find a link on the Vestax NYL1.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    Wow Joe, that's GR8! I love seeing / hearing stereotypes challenged. Japan, Korea, to me they're all fine instruments and you just proved that!
    John D'A had his very own clones and I seriously doubt he'd be rolling in anything but cash were he alive to license his brilliance today.
    Thank You so much G.
    You know, if I could afford it, I'd be one of those stupid ass people who bought a Vintage Cutaway D'Angelico and destroyed its value by having it completely refinished. I am not a collector. I want to be able to play whatever I have, and not constantly worry about a top collapsing, a binding shrinking or wood cracking. I take my hat off to people who have the balls to deal with that. Plus, I am a cheap dude who buys used - and has a pretty decent set of Detailing skills..
    I am glad I got this guitar. Thrilled in fact.
    I watched a Hidesato Shiino video earlier. He seems like a really cool guy!
    The particular guitar that I was referring too when I said he would rolling in his grave is the one with Marilyn Monroe's picture on it. Sorry, seeing something like that, makes ME want to kill myself so I could roll around in my own grave!
    Thanks again G.
    JD

User Info Menu

Congrats Joe on your purchase! That's definetely a stunner and it sounds fantastic.

I have a similar guitar from 2004 in violin burst.
    May I ask you about the pickup swap? The new one is not floating, correct?
    I've been pondering to change pickup too lately.

Enjoy your new guitar in good health.

User Info Menu

I read somewhere that the Japanese have a very long tradition of exquisite woodworking, so when they turned to guitars, it was only right that they'd do amazing things. Even laminates like the MiJ L5ces/SuperV copies (like I have) are just phenomenal in their quality.

And you more than do that guitar justice. It is privileged to be in your lap, with you making the music on it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Wine and chrome doesn’t work (unless it is a Harley)
    I beg to differ
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/124367246@N02/50446910606/in/dateposted-public/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/124367246@N02/50446217683/in/dateposted-public/

Nice guitar and playing Joe!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eblydian
    Congrats Joe on your purchase! That's definetely a stunner and it sounds fantastic.
    I have a similar guitar from 2004 in violin burst.
    May I ask you about the pickup swap? The new one is not floating, correct?
    I've been pondering to change pickup too lately.
    Enjoy your new guitar in good health.
    Thank you eblydian.
    Wow, violin burst. I’ve never actually seen one of those. It would be a treat to see one.
    The new pickup is floating. It’s attached to the neck. I like the neck mount for a floater. I just think it feels more solid. The Lindy Fralin Johnny Smith with the 4% over wind and Alnico 6 magnet is nice pickup. I love the warmth and clarity. Highly recommended.
    Thanks again!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I read somewhere that the Japanese have a very long tradition of exquisite woodworking, so when they turned to guitars, it was only right that they'd do amazing things. Even laminates like the MiJ L5ces/SuperV copies (like I have) are just phenomenal in their quality.
    And you more than do that guitar justice. It is privileged to be in your lap, with you making the music on it.
    Hi Lawson,
    Thank you buddy. I appreciate you always.
    I like this guitar a lot. It will never take the place of the real DA or an L5. But it is a spectacular guitar to play a lot. If it was my only guitar, I’d be set. So I am officially spoiled.
    Thank you bud. JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by waltf
    Nice guitar and playing Joe!
    Thank you Walt!
    JD

User Info Menu

Thank you eblydian.
    Wow, violin burst. I’ve never actually seen one of those. It would be a treat to see one.
    The new pickup is floating. It’s attached to the neck. I like the neck mount for a floater. I just think it feels more solid. The Lindy Fralin Johnny Smith with the 4% over wind and Alnico 6 magnet is nice pickup. I love the warmth and clarity. Highly recommended.
    Thanks again!
    Here is mine. I don't know if this model was called violin burst but that's what I would call it for lack of a better word.
    My apologies for the reflections. The top is actually in pristine conditions.
    Vestax D'Angelico NYL-2-daunnamed-jpg

The Lindy Fralin Johnny Smith with the 4% over wind and Alnico 6 magnet looks like an interesting alternative to the Kent Armstrong installed on this guitar.
    Thanks for the heads up!

User Info Menu

So THATS the Violin Burst?!
    I've seen that a couple of times before and I didnt know that was the name of the color.
    Your VDA is Beautiful. I wish you many years of joy with it.
    My Tech is very friendly with Lindy and he thought it would be a great way to get the sound I wanted. ITs a power pickup mounted lower than the KA was. The result is sustain (important to me) that lasts for days.. The Kent Armstrong that came on my guitar is actually a Handwound KAJS, that sounded very nice too. The Lindy Fralin has better mid's and hi's. More balanced. The KA seemed to be better down low, but the highs were a little weak. Perhaps because it wasnt mounted right. I like everything about the LF now.
    JD

User Info Menu

Thanks for another splendid performance! But I venture to say that the guitar plays a second fiddle here.

I bought a wine red NYL-2 from Ivor Mairants (RIP) in London around 2010. This was a 2006 with ebony tailpiece instead of the iconic stairstep. I would have preferred the latter, also being somewhat less expensive, but the last samples were yellowish turquoise - no go. In the end, the guitar was more about looks than tone, and somebody said they had changed the PU from that year onwards, for the worse. No proof on that. Overall, I never found much improvement over my Emperor Regent and eventually swapped the D'A for an ES-175 VOS 1959.

The workmanship was impeccable but mine arrived in the winter, with a heel crack. Fortunately, I knew about the superglue cure and could fix that myself. A look inside with an endoscope revealed two parallel braces which spanned about 2/3 of the length of the top, so there was heavy reliance on the top itself. I have no reason (nor qualifications) to question the excellence of this guitar, but I don't think it's grossly undervalued by the market. The solid-top NYS I also tried at Mairants was far superior both acoustically and electrically, but I just could not foot the price, which was more than 2X.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    Thanks for another splendid performance! But I venture to say that the guitar plays a second fiddle here.

I bought a wine red NYL-2 from Ivor Mairants (RIP) in London around 2010. This was a 2006 with ebony tailpiece instead of the iconic stairstep. I would have preferred the latter, also being somewhat less expensive, but the last samples were yellowish turquoise - no go. In the end, the guitar was more about looks than tone, and somebody said they had changed the PU from that year onwards, for the worse. No proof on that. Overall, I never found much improvement over my Emperor Regent and eventually swapped the D'A for an ES-175 VOS 1959.

The workmanship was impeccable but mine arrived in the winter, with a heel crack. Fortunately, I knew about the superglue cure and could fix that myself. A look inside with an endoscope revealed two parallel braces which spanned about 2/3 of the length of the top, so there was heavy reliance on the top itself. I have no reason (nor qualifications) to question the excellence of this guitar, but I don't think it's grossly undervalued by the market. The solid-top NYS I also tried at Mairants was far superior both acoustically and electrically, but I just could not foot the price, which was more than 2X.
    Gitterbug,
    I appreciate it buddy. You know, I am convinced that what you said is true. The stairstep tailpiece has a lot to do with the sound.
    I'm glad you found your happy place with the 175. No doubt, if you found your sound with the 175, it was NEVER meant to be with the VDA.
    Me, I love this VDA. And I've been tempted to move my Emperor Regent on, but I dont think I will. There is something about that guitar that makes it the best player I've ever had. I just need to figure out how to make it sound good. And how deal with the seasonal movement of the neck which throws off the intonation a little bit.. The neck shape on the EER is legendary though..
    Thanks Buddy.
    JD

User Info Menu

Me, I love this VDA. And I've been tempted to move my Emperor Regent on, but I dont think I will. There is something about that guitar that makes it the best player I've ever had. I just need to figure out how to make it sound good. And how deal with the seasonal movement of the neck which throws off the intonation a little bit.. The neck shape on the EER is legendary though..
    Thanks Buddy.
    JD
    Interesting you'd comment on the EER neck's seasonal shifting. Every Epiphone I have/have had does this except the ES165 clone, which has a somewhat stouter neck. But the Broadway, the Elitist Broadway, both had that lovely slim neck, and yessir, it liked to move when the weather changed! Easy to adjust, kind of like knowing your wife just doesn't like some TV shows I guess.

User Info Menu

Thanks again!
    Joe, can you tell me more about the Lindy Fralin PU? Is the overwind stock or custom order? I can't find the PU on the Fralin pages ....
    TIA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Interesting you'd comment on the EER neck's seasonal shifting. Every Epiphone I have/have had does this except the ES165 clone, which has a somewhat stouter neck. But the Broadway, the Elitist Broadway, both had that lovely slim neck, and yessir, it liked to move when the weather changed! Easy to adjust, kind of like knowing your wife just doesn't like some TV shows I guess.
    Lawson, The one I had this one did the same thing.
    But, it is what it is.
    I was going to part with it, but I think I will hang onto it. Its one of those guitars that I will regret selling. Plus I have this dream of taking a guitar with me on a JetSki with a portable little amp (like the Yamaha) and playing it on a beach somewhere. The EER will go with me.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote
    Joe, can you tell me more about the Lindy Fralin PU? Is the overwind stock or custom order? I can't find the PU on the Fralin pages ....
    TIA
    Sure JazzNote.
    Let me 1st say, the reasons I changed the pickup that came with the guitar is because the Gold was completely polished off the pickup by a previous owner. I couldn't live with that.. Plus, I am not a huge fan of Pickguard mounted floaters. I use the pickguard as a rest and I am constantly bumping it. I dont like having a pickup attached to the pickguard. Especially one that easily bends like that one did.
    This pickup was sold by Lindy Fralin in 2018. The magnet and the over-wind are options that you select from the dropdowns. He had a bunch of them on Reverb that were being sold as older stock. My tech is friends with Lindy and believes that his pickups are special. I agree with him. So I bought this Pickup because of Brian. It was our idea to transplant it into a Neck U mount. And mount it about 1/16 lower than normal. It worked and it was a GREAT idea. Mounted lower, its not overly powerful. But still has plenty of power and it sounds extraordinary. It compliments the guitar very well.
    Here is Lindy's add..
    "This is the one and only, Lindy Fralin Mini Humbucker 2018 squeezed into a Johnny Smith pickguard mount cover, built with Alnico 6 magnets and 4% more turns than our typical Mini, for slightly more mids. The Fralin Mini Humbucker is cleaner and clearer than full sized humbuckers. Our Mini Humbucker sounds more “Fendery” than other Mini’s, which are darker and muddier. Alnico 6 is loud and thick. 9.14K, lead is 10 inch"
    I am not sure I agree with the "Fendery" statement. But I can tell you, it is clear as a bell.
    In fact, it has actually taught me to slow down my playing a little bit. Because it picks up everything I do. Just like the Gibson Johnny Smith pickup, it almost guides you into the right groove.
    FYI, I am sending the Kent Armstrong PU (KAJS - hand wound that came with the guitar) back to Kent, per his request. He will transplant it into a new Gold Neck U mount enclosure. I will re-purpose that Pick-up. Perhaps it might go on the Emperor Regent. I am thinking of putting a heavier tailpiece on it, to replace the Frequesator. Something with a little more meat on it..

JD

My last large guitar and amp investment is a Gibson ES-335 with Fralin pickups and a 1967 Fender Super Reverb with a new Brown Box current converter so I dont fry it with modern current. This is about the same rig I had 50 something years ago. I am ending up with pretty close to what I started with plus a jazz tele and music man wang bar guitar. I guess I decided to come full circle. Thats what is comfortable to me.

User Info Menu

Steve, I’ve never understood the whole fascination with Tele’s. And I am afraid to, because I will go get one!
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Steve, I’ve never understood the whole fascination with Tele’s. And I am afraid to, because I will go get one!
    LOL! For me the fascination is that Ed Bickert sounded so damn fabulous with his. Ted Greene, too. But I will admit I don't usually care for the normal Telecaster sound as used in country, blues, etc. The exception there is Guthrie Trapp.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    LOL! For me the fascination is that Ed Bickert sounded so damn fabulous with his. Ted Greene, too. But I will admit I don't usually care for the normal Telecaster sound as used in country, blues, etc. The exception there is Guthrie Trapp.
    Right??
    But they are a swiss army knife. But I think my kinda Swiss army knife would be an ES 339 with coil splitting on the neck pickup..
    JD