The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 59

User Info Menu

I spied this beautiful specimen in a PSA listed here and took a chance on it. Dave’s Guitar in WI had it for sale and based on their favorable reputation, I reached out to Dave about the SF. He was very prompt, professional and easy to deal with.

The guitar showed up today and it’s indeed, IMHO, a class act. I’ve always loved 175s and L4s so the Florentine was a big draw for me. Same for the Biltoft floating CC. I’ve got one on my EXL-1 and love it to pieces.

So, I won’t go into lengthy detailed sonic impressions just yet as it’s only been a day and the guitar was shipped with what feel like 11 rounds...I’m pretty staunchly a flats guy. Ordered some TI 12s for it already. Plus, I feel like I’ll need at least a few days with it before I really understand where it shines. I will say this...the neck feel is VERY good. Chunky and comfortable. And this thing projects! Almost like a flattop. I’m surprised at how loud it actually is. I’m gonna spend some more time playing it tonight after everybody hits the sack. As for right now, I am really glad I took a chance on this one!
    Attached Images Attached Images Gibson Solid Formed Prototype #1-bc6d5d5e-1a99-4143-83b7-c4ad46a4733c-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I like the prototype better than what Gibson decided on.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    I like the prototype better than what Gibson decided on.
    Likewise.

User Info Menu

You have a unique and excellent guitar. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    You have a unique and excellent guitar. Congratulations, and play it in good health!
    Thank you, sir!

Gibson Solid Formed Prototype #1-6a6c909e-18ae-4489-8cef-ed6e1679922a-jpg

Two different flavors of Pete’s brilliant CC. I’m smitten.

User Info Menu

Woo Hoo! Looks classy as classy can be! Bruce Kunkel probably worked on Prototype Number 1 as he designed it. Play it in good health.

User Info Menu

Congratulations! I thought the ad said it was a 17”. I must have missed read it. Looks super!

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Congratulations! I thought the ad said it was a 17”. I must have missed read it. Looks super!
    Thank you! It is 17”. I also thought it looked like a 16” next to the EXL-1 but it’s just an illusion based on the angle, I think. Just measured to confirm!

In the original ad, the color had an almost burgundy tint to it. I was very pleased to see it in person and realize it’s more of a vintage Gibson SB!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Esport
    Thank you! It is 17”. I also thought it looked like a 16” next to the EXL-1 but it’s just an illusion based on the angle, I think. Just measured to confirm!
    Outstanding. How’s it feel owning practically a one off?

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Outstanding. How’s it feel owning practically a one off?
    It feels great. However, I feel like I’m mightily out-classed by it until my skills improve! I surely don’t do it justice, yet...but the same could be said about all my guitars?

User Info Menu

Ooh! That looks so noice! Dave's is a great place. It's too bad that it's on the other side of the state from me (I'm on the east side, near Lake Michigan, and Dave's is in LaCrosse on the Mississippi River), which makes for a 500 plus mile (800 km) round trip. Dave's is where I bought most of the gear I gigged with in the 90s (despite having to take a long drive). I may be due for another day trip to the place, since the last time I visited was in 2011.

User Info Menu

Esport,
    Your new Guitar will call on you to play it. By default, the practice will get you closer to where you want to be.
    I am big fan of the Solid formed top concept. I honestly believe it generates a really tight richness. Combined with the L5 Tailpiece and the medium Jumbo Frets, it picks up where the L7c left off.
    Have lots of fun. Its a beauty.
    JD

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Esport,
    Your new Guitar will call on you to play it. By default, the practice will get you closer to where you want to be.
    I am big fan of the Solid formed top concept. I honestly believe it generates a really tight richness. Combined with the L5 Tailpiece and the medium Jumbo Frets, it picks up where the L7c left off.
    Have lots of fun. Its a beauty.
    JD
    Thanks, Joe. Yours and Vinny’s opinions and reviews of the SF absolutely helped me in my decision on scooping this one up. So far, I’m really enamored with it and can’t wait to put a lot more miles on her. I’m sure it will be a source of inspiration for a long time to come.

This thing sounds so interesting. The CC pickup is detailed and fat and the acoustic quality, present, at all times, lends a unique complexity that’s quite unique to what I’ve experienced before. The amplified sound mixing with the powerful acoustic voice takes some adjusting. I’m used to laminates that don’t exude so much natural volume. It’s a beautiful sound! Man, I wish it just didn’t have rounds on it. Gotta wait til tomorrow to install a set of flats and get rid of the squeak.

User Info Menu

That mixing of acoustic and electric sound you speak of is my favorite sound in the world aside my wife telling me she loves me.
    Embrace it.
    JD

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    That mixing of acoustic and electric sound you speak of is my favorite sound in the world aside my wife telling me she loves me.
    Embrace it.
    JD
    It’s addictive, Joe. I wouldn’t trade it for my wife’s adoration, either, but it’s quite intoxicating, nonetheless. Consider me a convert.

User Info Menu

Wow Esport you got it, welcome to the club.

Yours seems to have all the things on Gibsons wish list, the bound pick guard, the CC pickup and the L5 tailpiece all look really nice.
    I suppose they were dropped on the production model to save cost.

I new you would love it.

andyb

Thanks andyb. As far as I’m aware, the pg and pickup were added later. Dave said the original pickup was not included in the sale as the previous owner didn’t provide it. The bound pick guard is far better looking than the OEM one. It’s a big improvement aesthetically.

After having the guitar for a week, now, I’ve discovered a few things about it.

The acoustic sound is powerful compared to other archtops I’ve owned. I find myself turning up my amp a bit more to get the electric sound more prominent. Even with flats, this thing has a zing to it. Not exactly bright but open and clear.

Our esteemed Joe D described a “swirling” “reverb” characteristic to the SF and I’ll confirm that there’s a resonant chambered thing going on that’s hard to pin down. It’s good, though! Hard to capture on a recording, I’d suspect, but definitely a sensation that is present in the room while you’re playing it.

I immediately fell in love with the neck. It’s a full-framed C with a lot of meat and the frets are nice and tidy. So it was a big surprise when I switched over to my EXL and felt that it was even better. In fact, when comparing the two, the DA is the easier guitar to play and by a lot. Things that were a bit awkward to play on the SF were fast and easy on the DA. Even easier on my budget CV Tele. The neck thinness on the EXL and Tele are surely contributing to this opinion.

However, the sound of the SF is where the gap widens. The DA has a Biltoft CC and the the SF has a Biltoft CC. The EXL has a clear, bell-like tone that is focused and compressed. The SF on the other hand has a thick, rounded warmth that is very different. It jumps off the strings. I’m not sure what the pot values are or the wind details are of that PU but it’s sounds better than anything I’ve tried before. No single coil hum either.

I’m considering trying to figure out how to record a comparison video but I’m gonna have get creative with my gear and muster up the nerve to post my amateur abilities.

User Info Menu

I keep trying to figure out exactly what the "solid formed" process is. How it's done.

Is it a damp pressure process or ... what?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Exquisite. The fingerboard with dots and binding reminds my the prewar ES-150, which is emphasized by the floating CC, the script logo and the classic sunburst. A true journey to the past, right into Gibson golden era.

Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop
    Exquisite. The fingerboard with dots and binding reminds my the prewar ES-150, which is emphasized by the floating CC, the script logo and the classic sunburst. A true journey to the past, right into Gibson golden era.

Congrats!
    Thanks, Fred. I agree, it was certainly designed to recapture that pre-war look. A lot of the design elements you point out compelled me towards it. I just love the look. Also, watching your FANTASTIC vids of CC comparisons directly inspired me to give one a try. I was searching for a Norlin ES-175CC when the SF popped up.

User Info Menu

It's strange that such an old pickup as the CC and the Dearmond have retained high praise for well more than half a century. No one heard of microwave ovens and transistors were rare.

Can you imagine the invention of either of those pickups or the McCarty or the P-90 followed by world somehow agreeing that the search for a guitar pickup is over and settled? With that decision forever completed we could then decide on a single set of strings for everyone.

We do spend a lot of time and money on nuances, often eventually cherishing things the way they originally were.

Having said that, I do like the Gibson Solid Formed in this thread. This could be the government issue archtop for all jazz players.