The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

The "H" tailpiece on my Sweet 16 is damaged. I am thinking about changing this to the fingered style tailpiece. Does anyone know if new screw holes would need to be drilled? Is there anything else to worry about regarding the change. Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    The "H" tailpiece on my Sweet 16 is damaged. I am thinking about changing this to the fingered style tailpiece. Does anyone know if new screw holes would need to be drilled? Is there anything else to worry about regarding the change. Thanks
    Finding a TP with the same screw hole locations is going to be difficult, I'd try Heritage. I've seen finger TP's on some of their models, they may have a direct replacement.

User Info Menu

rich Severson regularly changes Heritage tailpieces to the new finger style. He is contactable...

User Info Menu

I have done that. I couldn't get the holes to line up. The H tailpieces I recall have the input jack on the tailpiece.

Changing Heritage Tailpiece-p6nrijjhbou3ugzzgydq-jpgChanging Heritage Tailpiece-51gsr42bubl-_ac_-jpgChanging Heritage Tailpiece-g9i0qowy3aov1m0fzhn1-jpgChanging Heritage Tailpiece-esmjnrewoaerzer-jpg

Thanks for the pictures. I completely forgot about the input jack. I think I will just stay with the H tailpiece as I don't want to go though the trouble of moving the jack.

Does anyone know if Heritage sells new H tailpieces.

User Info Menu

They stopped making them a long time ago. Sometimes you can find used ones.

Can your tailpiece be repaired?

User Info Menu

I suppose it depends where the problem is on the OP's current tailpiece.

Perhaps a metalworker could disassemble the current tailpiece at the hinge and, using the current bottom piece, fabricate a new "string holder" portion?

Bet that would cost a couple bucks, though.

User Info Menu

My L5 Lee Ritenoir has fingers tailpiece and endpin jack from the factory, so I bet you can find one that fits. The screw holes configutation will still be different though

The damage to the original tailpiece is not that bad. It is bent a little so the strings go from the tailpiece to the bridge at a slight angle. After the bridge they are in the correct position. I think I can live with the issue as I don't think it really makes a difference. I just thought it would be a good excuse to change to the finger tailpiece which I think looks nice. But for me it is not worth it if I have to change the jack position.

If anyone has or sees a gold H tailpiece for sale, please let me know.

Thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aborodya
    My L5 Lee Ritenoir has fingers tailpiece and endpin jack from the factory, so I bet you can find one that fits. The screw holes configutation will still be different though

User Info Menu

I believe the screw pattern is the same as a ES175 tailpiece.
    You can get a new gold 175 tailpiece thru jvguitars.com....LOL

That is a good idea. I don't really need to have the H. I'll check it out. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aborodya
    This is what it looks like:
    Attached Images Attached Images Changing Heritage Tailpiece-s-l1600-jpeg 

User Info Menu

The screw holes won't line up. It's not hard to fill the old ones and make the new ones. What is hard is to make the old holes fully disappear. If you don't mind seeing them and their appearance is better than a damaged tailpiece, that could be the way to go.

If I were in no hurry, I'd put a search on Reverb and Ebay for "heritage tailpiece" and give it some time. It may take a year but likely you'll get a Heritage tailpiece.