The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 147

User Info Menu

I had literally just unpacked the guitar right there in that room and taken those pictures - and you can see the shipping box behind the case if you look carefully. Yes, the string wasn’t seated properly

Quote Originally Posted by MCampellone
    Good call, VK, alerting BM to that D string issue - I have to admit, I didn't notice it either till you mentioned it. It's always a good idea to do a spot check for things like this when buying a pre-owned instrument as things can sometimes get fowled up by a previous owner. I saw one guitar where the bridge saddle was reversed left to right and the new owner was unaware of it -

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gustavo Eiriz
    Amazingly beautiful all of them. I think that the Special model with the Avalon inlays are just perfect, although the Standard without the inlays is also a different kind of beauty.
    I wonder 2 things:
    1) i have seen that a lot people requests to Mark for guitars with a shallower depth (mostly 3" comparing to L-5 traditional 3.25"). Surely it is more comfortable, and acousticly is probably louder... but dont you lose some of fattnes in the amplified sound? Why do you prefer it thinner?
    2) Dont kill me please but, I wonder how would they sound with a Tom bridge installed. I always dislike the attack of the normal ebony bridge and I have never seen a Campy with a Tom. That being said the only time that i played a Campellone the ebony bridge had a beautiful sustain... and it didn`t have that fast decay and fast attack of the ebony bridges that i played before, and as far as i can see in all the videos i see all of these guitars sounds very sweet with the ebony bridge on it.
    Kind regards to everyone.
    Both good questions -

Reducing the rim depth from 3.25" down to 3" is basically a physical comfort consideration - a wider rim props your right arm up a little higher, which many players find uncomfortable. The shallower rim does reduce the overall size of the body, so in effect you have a smaller resonant chamber - the result is a slight loss in extreme low end resonance, but I consider it a good trade-off for the physical comfort - and even with a 3" rim, I find that acoustically, you can still get a sufficiently broad range of response with comparable overall volume level, and the effect on the amplified sound is barely noticeable.

As for the TOM question, yes, you may get better sustain with the TOM, and you have the advantage of individual string intonation adjustment. In my opinion, though, you lose as certain "richness of tone" with a metal saddle. Also, a wood saddle gives you a stronger attack and shorter decay, yielding a more percussive sound - a defining characteristic of the traditional archtop guitar - but with applications of the archtop guitar being more varied these days, both choices are valid - it's simply a matter of preference.

Good call, VK, alerting BM to that D string issue - I have to admit, I didn't notice it either till you mentioned it. It's always a good idea to do a spot check for things like this when buying a pre-owned instrument as things can sometimes get fowled up by a previous owner. I saw one guitar where the bridge saddle was reversed left to right and the new owner was unaware of it -
    Yup that was me. I can be sharp as a bowling ball……LOL

The new Campellone batch-52f2a803-0dfb-46bc-89ee-caf87741e224-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    You’re not alone. I’ve never understood the preoccupation with thin guitars either. If it’s not at least 3” it ceases to have the same tone. IMO.
    2B, as an aside to your comment, there are some interesting things to note about how body size affects a guitar's sound. I've built a number or 16" thin-line (2.25" rim) models, and I'm always surprised at how good they sound acoustically. The human ear is normally less sensitive to extreme high and low frequency sound, and more sensitive to mid-range frequencies - the smaller body guitars tend to have strong mid-range presence, so even though they lack the deeper bass resonance of larger body guitars, they can sound just as loud or even louder to the human ear.

User Info Menu

Thank you very much Maestro Campellone, you are a very kind person and your guitar are terrific!

Both good questions -

Reducing the rim depth from 3.25" down to 3" is basically a physical comfort consideration - a wider rim props your right arm up a little higher, which many players find uncomfortable. The shallower rim does reduce the overall size of the body, so in effect you have a smaller resonant chamber - the result is a slight loss in extreme low end resonance, but I consider it a good trade-off for the physical comfort - and even with a 3" rim, I find that acoustically, you can still get a sufficiently broad range of response with comparable overall volume level, and the effect on the amplified sound is barely noticeable.

As for the TOM question, yes, you may get better sustain with the TOM, and you have the advantage of individual string intonation adjustment. In my opinion, though, you lose as certain "richness of tone" with a metal saddle. Also, a wood saddle gives you a stronger attack and shorter decay, yielding a more percussive sound - a defining characteristic of the traditional archtop guitar - but with applications of the archtop guitar being more varied these days, both choices are valid - it's simply a matter of preference.

It is amazing what a difference 3/8 of a inch can make in comfort.
    At 3-3/8 I get shoulder pain with my L5’s.
    I don’t get shoulder pain playing my Campellone or TF.
    That tiny width difference is huge to at least my shoulder.

I am afraid to try a thinline. I might like it too much.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Yup that was me. I can be sharp as a bowling ball……LOL

The new Campellone batch-52f2a803-0dfb-46bc-89ee-caf87741e224-jpg
    LOL - and beautiful shot of your Special!

User Info Menu

2B, as an aside to your comment, there are some interesting things to note about how body size affects a guitar's sound. I've built a number or 16" thin-line (2.25" rim) models, and I'm always surprised at how good they sound acoustically. The human ear is normally less sensitive to extreme high and low frequency sound, and more sensitive to mid-range frequencies - the smaller body guitars tend to have strong mid-range presence, so even though they lack the deeper bass resonance of larger body guitars, they can sound just as loud or even louder to the human ear.
    Funny you should mention this, but I’m literally sitting on my couch as I read this playing the 16” thin line you made for me in 2016 unplugged (normally I’d be playing a 00 flat-top but just grabbed the Campy for a change). It does sound good acoustically!

The new Campellone batch-52c43635-02d5-4da7-b4a2-0e7f347067fd-jpg

Mark does a beautiful job on his unbound F-holes.
    l’ve seen some 175’s that looked like they were cut with a chainsaw.

That is a beauty bmw.

User Info Menu

It never fails. Each time I read one of these Campellone threads, the absolutely stunning images of his archtops (even those being built!) bring me close to hyper ventilation. And Mark's 2.25" thinline models (@bmw2002) are at the top of my dream guitar list. Amazing instruments.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bmw2002
    Funny you should mention this, but I’m literally sitting on my couch as I read this playing the 16” thin line you made for me in 2016 unplugged (normally I’d be playing a 00 flat-top but just grabbed the Campy for a change). It does sound good acoustically!

The new Campellone batch-52c43635-02d5-4da7-b4a2-0e7f347067fd-jpg
    The perfect archtop, IMO.

The cherry sunburst really pops. Mark says it is his favorite

.The new Campellone batch-caa2222e-1266-40cf-ab07-3d4162ea394b-jpegThe new Campellone batch-7d3be785-254b-4de1-84b0-1cdd369517ba-jpegThe new Campellone batch-d5de15ac-2917-47cf-b901-1ce739d7b7d7-jpegThe new Campellone batch-c087b19a-7a27-4a88-93bc-2afb4cdd981d-jpeg

Note how he even makes sure that the binding nibs get lacquer.

User Info Menu

The new Campellone batch-82525583-82e6-4d55-8ae9-1c8b341c0ebb-jpegThe new Campellone batch-5ec1fcec-d7ba-4fc9-90fd-60174dde089c-jpeg

A new guitar jig Mark made for doing fret work and other build duties.

The new Campellone batch-b2f44ade-3fce-491c-bb07-9e3eed110e45-jpegThe new Campellone batch-ccb64908-e3dd-4c11-b297-9f8d4745707b-jpegThe new Campellone batch-94132e77-898a-469a-81d2-c019792aa8f4-jpeg

User Info Menu

The new Campellone batch-82525583-82e6-4d55-8ae9-1c8b341c0ebb-jpeg

............So, uh, has anyone inquired whether these shirts are available for purchase ?

( Asking for a friend. ) : )

User Info Menu

Off in a distance, I see a paint can that is mysteriously sitting crookedly on another paint can. Mark - I think you might have a gremlin in the shop. You might need to investigate that further..
    Seriously, it’s amazing to me how neat and tidy you keep your work space. That’s probably one of the reasons your build quality is so impeccable. Amazing.
    JD

The new Campellone batch-94132e77-898a-469a-81d2-c019792aa8f4-jpeg

User Info Menu

Note how he even makes sure that the binding nibs get lacquer.
    Actually, the binding nibs have been sanded just to remove any color that gets on them - they will get some clear lacquer on them during the subsequent build-up coats, but that will all get sanded off during the final fingerboard clean-up -

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Off in a distance, I see a paint can that is mysteriously sitting crookedly on another paint can. Mark - I think you might have a gremlin in the shop. You might need to investigate that further..
    Seriously, it’s amazing to me how neat and tidy you keep your work space. That’s probably one of the reasons your build quality is so impeccable. Amazing.
    JD
    lol - actually, that's an empty paint can, and I was just a little careless in setting it down - I will fix it - gotta have everything in perfect order, you know : )

User Info Menu

The new Campellone batch-b2f44ade-3fce-491c-bb07-9e3eed110e45-jpegThe new Campellone batch-ccb64908-e3dd-4c11-b297-9f8d4745707b-jpegThe new Campellone batch-94132e77-898a-469a-81d2-c019792aa8f4-jpeg

Cool jig Mark. It seems to me with this jig you could conceivably get the neck straight by using a belt band in the middle area of the neck and then applying pressure to get the neck straight. I am just completely guessing because normally the neck can be made straight with the truss rod adjusted while doing the fret leveling. This jig sort of looks like a simpler version of Dan Erlewine's expensive neck jig. I personally do not use that jig he has but this seems to be similar. I would be interested in how your did your fret leveling and dressing. I say that because my Campy in the 20 years I have had it has require zero maintenance. Never have touched the truss rod and the neck is stable as they come, not to mention perfect action.

Quote Originally Posted by Strbender
    I opened a savings account this morning just for my M. Campellone guitar. Mark told me it will be around 2 years from this past April. So I figure, the more I can save, the more options I can have!
    It doesn’t matter if you get a Standard or a Cameo the build quality will be equally as good.
    Just less bling on the Standard but it will play as good as a Cameo.

In the Harley world we have a saying : Chrome won’t get you home.
    Of course who doesn’t like fancy woods and inlays.

Mark builds 15 guitars a year now. He is 2 months younger than me. If sitting on the fence don’t sit there too long. At 67 I’m giving retirement a serious thought though I still like to work my body may not agree with me much longer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    The new Campellone batch-82525583-82e6-4d55-8ae9-1c8b341c0ebb-jpeg

............So, uh, has anyone inquired whether these shirts are available for purchase ?

( Asking for a friend. ) : )
    Yes, they are.

User Info Menu

A company called Corporste Casuals
    pick the shirt/size
    supply them a photograph
    an artist works on the rendering until you like it
    then they embroider them and ship
    I’ve done heritage Ibanez Campellone

Dennis D;1127533]The new Campellone batch-82525583-82e6-4d55-8ae9-1c8b341c0ebb-jpeg

( Asking for a friend. ) : )[/QUOTE]

User Info Menu

It doesn’t matter if you get a Standard or a Cameo the build quality will be equally as good.
    Just less bling on the Standard but it will play as good as a Cameo.

In the Harley world we have a saying : Chrome won’t get you home.
    Of course who doesn’t like fancy woods and inlays.

Mark builds 15 guitars a year now. He is 2 months younger than me. If sitting on the fence don’t sit there too long. At 67 I’m giving retirement a serious thought though I still like to work my body may not agree with me much longer.
    I'm not on the fence at all. The savings account is more for Bling Motivation. Plus the two year, maybe 21 months now wait, gives me the time to have cash in hand. I have a picture of the Cameo from his gallery as my screen savor.

User Info Menu

It is amazing what a difference 3/8 of a inch can make in comfort.
    At 3-3/8 I get shoulder pain with my L5’s.
    I don’t get shoulder pain playing my Campellone or TF.
    That tiny width difference is huge to at least my shoulder.

I am afraid to try a thinline. I might like it too much.

Yes , you would! when I first got my L5CT ( with 2 &5/8" body depth ) I doubted the
    sound be as good as the L5CES ( 3 3/8" depth ) I was pleasantly surprised to find
    very little difference , if at all , between them, sadly I no longer have my L5CES or
    Wesmo, But the L5CT is very comfortable to play , and in similar vein, to the
    Byrdland, which has the same attributes, both superb. But then luckily I acquired my
    Campellone DeLuxe , thankfully due to your & QA man's recommendations. I'm very
    happy with my modest collection of Archtops.

Silverfoxx ( aka 007)