The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I was able to get hold of a 1959 ES-175. The only reason I could afford it, was because it had been stripped for most of it's original parts. I always thought the Bigsby it came with was added later on, but when removing it to do some set up work, I noticed the finish underneath was quite different from the faded natural finish from the rest of the instrument. I was wondering, could the Bigsby possibly have been an original part of the guitar?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

"Never before has the ES-175 come with a factory
    installed Bigsby"
    That was from the marketing blurb of 2013 Gibson ES 175:
    https://www.long-mcquade.com/20212/Guitars/Hollow-body_Electric_Guitars/Gibson/ES-175_Hollowbody_Electric_with_P94_Pickups_and_Bigsb y_Trem_-_Ebony_Finish.htm

The bigsby probably was installed later but it was there long enough to cause a difference in finish color by blocking the UV light in that area. Bigsby's are normally installed after the finish is complete.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ragtho
    I was able to get hold of a 1959 ES-175. The only reason I could afford it, was because it had been stripped for most of it's original parts. I always thought the Bigsby it came with was added later on, but when removing it to do some set up work, I noticed the finish underneath was quite different from the faded natural finish from the rest of the instrument. I was wondering, could the Bigsby possibly have been an original part of the guitar?

User Info Menu

My first thought when I read 175 + Bigsby was, Wasn't that what the ES-295 was, essentially?

User Info Menu

Bigsbys have been available as a factory option for ES175s since about 1955. If you post a picture of the Bigsby, I can tell you if it's era correct. Bigsby mounting holes do not line up with 175 tailpiece holes, so you'd see extra holes if it wasn't from the factory. Often, shop owners would do the installation when the guitar was new. I have a 1956 ES175DN with a Bigsby variant only made in 1956, and I can almost guarantee that its been on there since 1956, but there is evidence of this guitar having originally a different tailpiece.

Gibson ES-175 and Bigsby-img_7623-jpg