The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 69

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Another good thing about Heritage... Gibson went corporate leaving Heritage as the real Gibson.

If I were to buy a pricey guitar Gibson would not get any consideration, Heritage would though.
    Especially since Gibson doesn't really make any archtops anymore...

I think Heritage still makes the H575 and Eagle Classic though.

Anybody been to Dave' Guitars recently? He used to have one of the largest selections of new Gibsons in the country, if not the world. Then Gibson kinda screwed him over and dropped him (last gasp of the Henry admin). So Dave started carrying Heritage. A couple of years later they kind of made up and Dave started carrying Gibson again.

The website does not show any new Gibson electrics, though it does show acoustics. There is a fair selection of Heritages listed. Lots of used guitar of course.

Back in the day Dave must have had 3-400 new Gibsons all lined up on the left side of the shop. A dozen or so 175's. Several L5's, Tals, etc., you name it. It was my idea of heaven back then!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Groyniad
    There's a sweet 16 NOS in a shop in France - has just the best sunburst....you can find it on reverb I think. (they will come down in price a bit I think)

Thomann stock them now - and maybe the oddly named - 'The fellowship of the acoustic'

I think Thomann say they can get you new Heritage archtops....even if they don't have them in stock.
    You're right about Thomann, but paying 6,000USD (4,899€) for a sunburst eagle that you cannot try before buying is something of a gamble......... you can get one at Sweetwater for 4,800

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ray175
    You're right about Thomann, but paying 6,000USD (4,899€) for a sunburst eagle that you cannot try before buying is something of a gamble......... you can get one at Sweetwater for 4,800
    the extra 99 euros (which you would lose of course if you wanted to import from Sweetwater) might be cancelled out by a deal from Thomann - they came down for me.

part of the point of the post is to say 'these are really fantastic instruments - I've got two now and they are BOTH better than anything I've had before'. I bought - for example - a sadowsky Jim Hall guitar on the strength of recommendations from experienced players. it was certainly worth trying out.

I played my eagle classic in the shop before buying it - but I was dead-set on getting it when I walked in, and I found out very little about it in a nervous hour and a half of playing in the shop.

In my view it takes a long time to try an instrument out - and I've always had to pay for the privilege. I've only lost out when sellers have been dishonest, because I've been able to sell my boutique and gibson archtops for pretty much what I paid for them. so I got to try them out for very little and for as long as I needed to.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Happy that you are happy, Groyniad. The search for The One and The Other One is finally over for you.

Play them in good health.

'Twould be boring if we all liked the same things. There is something to be said for diversity of tastes.
    when I've found another other one - now that I have the one AND the other one - I'll finally be okay....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ray175
    Thomann has a 30-day return policy on most items, so you could try the guitar out that way.

User Info Menu

Once I'm convinced the price is right, the 30 day option is a possibility - I've used it on other items, but the Eagle has to be ordered (not in stock), and I don't feel comfortable forcing them to carry a guitar of that price in their inventory if I don't like it

User Info Menu

they will certainly give you the thirty days approval period on it

I'd forgotten about that

User Info Menu

Robben Ford said that he gives himself six months of playing before he decides whether to keep an instrument. I've admired that position. But there are qualifiers to that statement I'm guessing.

He wouldn't start the six month trial with something that didn't sound good and wasn't decent. The rest of it must be getting comfortable with the balance and feel. After six months of playing hours a day, you and your guitar should have become good friends.

User Info Menu

MG, You are so right.
    Sometimes it takes 6 months to find things about a guitar that you don't like. Sometimes you grow fond of one guitar and then play another, and your fondness gets challenged.
    You really have to WANT to work with it. Its really like marriage in a sense. It takes work.
    There was a Heritage that I had that initially, I could not bond with. Then, after time I learned how to play it and I became very attached to it. And it helped me learn how to play it, so I was ready form my L5. Conversely, I've had a number of guitars that I went the other way with. Initially I became enamered with the playability and in some cases "the Look" and then, months later the sound, or some other obstacles soured me.
    You gotta WANT the guitar you fall for. Heck, if I didn't WANT my L5, the weight of it would get to me after a while. But I WANT it and LOVE it. So, I keep working out..
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    MG, You are so right.
    Sometimes it takes 6 months to find things about a guitar that you don't like. Sometimes you grow fond of one guitar and then play another, and your fondness gets challenged.
    You really have to WANT to work with it. Its really like marriage in a sense. It takes work.
    There was a Heritage that I had .....

But I WANT it and LOVE it. So, I keep working out..
    JD
    JD, the only diff is that the guitar can't just up and leave you for messing around with another guitar! Boy, we'd all be in trouble if that were the case!?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    JD, the only diff is that the guitar can't just up and leave you for messing around with another guitar! Boy, we'd all be in trouble if that were the case!?
    You can't hock your wife-- or can you??

User Info Menu

It’s just nice to not see a Heritage thread derailed by comments about headstocks and such. You’ve got wonderful guitars Groyniad, and the fact that you’re enamored with them is all that matters.

User Info Menu

the point of this one (below post) is that it is very flat and bright light - it shows that the sunburst is very close to light cherry - but it looks black-dark cherry a great deal of the time.

even if it only looked ONE colour it would still look better than the other sunbursts I have had relationships with (!!)
    in dim light the thing glows
    Last edited by Groyniad; 05-21-2021 at 02:26 AM.

User Info Menu

Two good things about Heritage guitars-img_7382-jpg
    my internet hardly works - sorry about the double post

User Info Menu

Gronyiad where did you see the Heritage Sweet 16 in a shop in France?
    Any link?
    When I searched this morning the first find is a guy (Guitorama site I think) demoing a Sweet 16, posted today.. Might be that one, but doesn't seem to be on sell.. Maybe he juste bought it ?
    The acoustic sound is great by the way in that demo.

User Info Menu

it has a strap pin - so I don't think its new - and the one that was in the shop in France was NOS

this does seem roughly the right colour though - and the right tailpiece - so it could be the one. contact the shop?

I suspect they tend to be really amazing - they do have very unusual specs.

User Info Menu

For me the Jeritage guitars are some of the best deals. I prefer the thinner tops on my acoustic models - most guys like the fatter thicker tops like on a WesMo, that doesn’t work for me
    I’m the same way with my old fives up for the older months because they have the more acoustic guitar builds

I think I have a eleven Heritage Archtops, Mostly the older era ones from the late 80s early 90s

The other thing I really like about the Heritage Guitar’s most of mine have the H tailpiece and since my last name starts with a H it’s like my guitar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jx30510
    Gronyiad where did you see the Heritage Sweet 16 in a shop in France?
    Any link?
    When I searched this morning the first find is a guy (Guitorama site I think) demoing a Sweet 16, posted today.. Might be that one, but doesn't seem to be on sell.. Maybe he juste bought it ?
    The acoustic sound is great by the way in that demo.

Be prepared for a cannon price !
    Heritage Sweet 16 Antique naturel | CUSTOM GUITAR SHOP | Reverb

I got mine (used) 6 years ago for 2000€ and can't be happier !

User Info Menu

Ouch!
    Beautiful guitar, thanks for the link.
    But it's way too much for me unfortunately.

User Info Menu

Sorry fellas but I just have never played many Heritages that have ever impressed me. And that includes the ones they made during Gibson's time as well.
    The newer Jim Hutchins and Crimson Series are way superior guitars in every imaginable way.

And again I've played at least 50 to 100 Heritage Archtops as well as owned many of their Thinlines from Roy Clark, 550,535, Millineum Ultra, etc.
    The H550 was the best of the lot!

I have only owned one and it was a real disappointment. It cost about 3500$ new. There were unacceptable blemishes right out of the case but Marvin Lamb refunded me 75$ on it. The instrument was extremely top heavy meaning the headstock kept gravitating towards the floor. The S.D. pickups sounded o.k. in the neck position but was not well-balanced with the bridge.I ended up sending it back to the factory and they kept it 3 weeks before they even opened my box. Then they said they did not have anyone who could help with finish damage.The dealer J.Wolfe was one of the crummiest,cheapist I have ever dealt with. He made me wait a week for a paper check rather than give me debit card refund over about 2.85$ on a 3500$ deal. Unreal! and talked about 1600$ fake Dumble amps like the price was nothing. The county in Fla. his store is located is one of the wealthiest in the U.S. Burt Reynolds used to live there. The model was the D.C. Millinium kind of a minature 335 type instrument. The case pocket had a bumper sticker of a female Satan the Devil image with horns and a tail re: the vibrato arm system. I guess looking back that was prophecy to let me know that I would have a Hell of an experience for my 3500$ Some got it in pawnshop for 900$. It was good riddance for me.

I got so angry remembering I forgot to mention the "hand rolled" neck I was was supposed to be grateful for was way too big to be very comfortable. I do remember seeing the Ramsey Lewis quartet in Nashville with Henry Johnson I think and he sounded great with a Super 400 style Heritage and of course Kenny Burrell is one of the player that influenced me to take up jazz guitar and love good organ trio jazz. So it looks like there is a wide range of quality of instruments coming out of their factory just like Gibson and others.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steve burchfield
    I have only owned one and it was a real disappointment. It cost about 3500$ new. There were unacceptable blemishes right out of the case but Marvin Lamb refunded me 75$ on it. The instrument was extremely top heavy meaning the headstock kept gravitating towards the floor. The S.D. pickups sounded o.k. in the neck position but was not well-balanced with the bridge.I ended up sending it back to the factory and they kept it 3 weeks before they even opened my box. Then they said they did not have anyone who could help with finish damage.The dealer J.Wolfe was one of the crummiest,cheapist I have ever dealt with. He made me wait a week for a paper check rather than give me debit card refund over about 2.85$ on a 3500$ deal. Unreal! and talked about 1600$ fake Dumble amps like the price was nothing. The county in Fla. his store is located is one of the wealthiest in the U.S. Burt Reynolds used to live there. The model was the D.C. Millinium kind of a minature 335 type instrument. The case pocket had a bumper sticker of a female Satan the Devil image with horns and a tail re: the vibrato arm system. I guess looking back that was prophecy to let me know that I would have a Hell of an experience for my 3500$ Some got it in pawnshop for 900$. It was good riddance for me.
    There’s a lot to unpack here!

User Info Menu

Cry havoc and release the haters of Heritage.
    or dogs of war. I forget which.
    Why go negative in the midst of a group of people who obviously like their Heritages? Is that what the internet has taught you? Did your Mom tell you to do that? Do you seriously think its cool to shit on people?
    get a life dude.
    (Not jk’s best day, sorry)

User Info Menu

Just stating the truth about Heritage guitars from my over 30 years of playing and owning them. While Gibson has had their share of clunkers as well,they also have stellar guitars available as well.
    Can't say I've ever felt that way about any Heritage I've ever played.

I also think I've played enough great Archtops vintage, boutique,etc to recognize the difference.
    For those of you who have not played a great Gibson, Campellone, Buscarino,Megas, Comins, D'Aquisto, etc. Play one and then post your feelings about Heritage again.

I also think the newer luthier Pete Farmer is a huge improvement to Heritage builds. The old guys would rather go fishing than deal with any custom orders from my experience. And that was just about a 1950s profile neck request.
    And finally 8 months later, when my 535 was done the neck was twisted and unplayable.