User Info Menu

A 20-watt Marshall - a Studio Classic SC20C - caught my eye this aft. Does anyone have any experience with this amp? 10” Celestion.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bach5G
    A 20-watt Marshall - a Studio Classic SC20C - caught my eye this aft. Does anyone have any experience with this amp? 10” Celestion.
    I had the original Studio, 15 watts, 12" Celestion, IIRC. I very foolishly lent it to a friend and haven't seen either since.
    Fantastic recording and performing amp.
    I'll have to check this out!

User Info Menu

A friend has one and I've played it a few times. It's a great amp for all things Marshall, and the master volume is very useful. The only drawback with the 10' is it lacks the bass response of 12' and that can be a problem if you are into metal (heavy distortion) sounds. For classic, rock Marshall tones this amp is perfect, loud and easy to carry.

I would still get the studio vintage over the classic myself (cause I like non master volume amps and don't need a home amp -marshalls are bad home amps anyway). Also the origin series come very close at a much lower price. The origin 20 head will probably be my next Marshall buy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bach5G
    Bach, what tone are you after?

It will help decide which of these smaller Marshall’s is right for you. I have experience with the various Marshall Studio Series and other of their 20 watt amps (Studio Classic SC20, Studio Vintage SV20, Origin 20, DSL20). All are very good and are variations on the classic Marshall theme. As Alter says, without a Master Volume, the SV is not usable at home—even in 5 watt mode. Though it DOES have a Master Volume, the Origin doesn’t enter its sweet spot until the MV is cranked at least to 5 or 6. At that point, it’s also very loud for home.

The one I play almost every day is the SC20. I love it. But I can’t imagine it through a 10” speaker (mine is the head version running through a 2x12 Marshall cabinet. It most closely nails the sound of the original on which it is modeled (IMHO). The DSL is a bit Jekyl/Hyde as its channel switching goes from pristine clean to massive gain with little in between. Still DSL is a great amp.

Would love to hear more about what sounds you’re going for. I can render more opinions.

Roli