The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

I've been playing with a Dynarette cushion for several years now and it's been very useful but I have a feeling that this would be more stable, especially with smaller guitars.

Guitarlift.de - Guitarlift.de

There's a good video with Stephanie Jones explaining it (and watching Stephanie Jones is always a good thing)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Looks interesting! I have also been using a Dynarette for years, and this looks like it`s got more possibillity for adjusting the excact angle and hight of the guitar.

I use the Dynarette on the right leg though, and i wonder how well this works using it that way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickWD
    Looks interesting! I have also been using a Dynarette for years, and this looks like it`s got more possibillity for adjusting the excact angle and hight of the guitar.

I use the Dynarette on the right leg though, and i wonder how well this works using it that way.
    I'm wondering the same thing.

User Info Menu

Not sure if I like the possible effect on the guitar's finish though...

User Info Menu

Plus one on any Stephanie Jones video. One of my favorite guitarists these days, love her expressiveness and her choice of tunes. She also plays jazz saxophone! (and other instruments)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B
    Not sure if I like the possible effect on the guitar's finish though...
    They do offer special optional protectors for guitars with fragile finishes but the guitar I'm considering this for has a very durable finish and while I love the guitar, it has dings, scratches and a weird silver sticker of a cat profile, so I'm not going to worry about marks from the suction cups.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zdub
    Plus one on any Stephanie Jones video. One of my favorite guitarists these days, love her expressiveness and her choice of tunes. She also plays jazz saxophone! (and other instruments)
    I had no idea about the sax. She's just a really talented musician and so much fun to watch.

User Info Menu

Very interesting thing.
    ...and a great presentation...
    Good not only for calssical guitarists I hope.

User Info Menu

Been using the DeOro below link for a year or so, playing off the left leg. Comfortable and it allows natural movement. This as you see is intended for classical so i really wouldnt worry about the effect on an archtop finish unless its french polish. I stuck with the Oasis version of the Dynarette on my classical for two reasons: firmer support (no bob and weave playing Bach))) and finish protection. Diego there is great to work with, he has many variations on his website.

De Oro Classica Guitar Support, Martini Frame, Black/Black

User Info Menu

I haven't had great luck with suction cup guitar supports, but YMMV.

Most guitar supports connect at the waist so you've got gravity working for you. I also wonder how well this would work with a heavier guitar like a tele.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan0996
    I haven't had great luck with suction cup guitar supports, but YMMV.

Most guitar supports connect at the waist so you've got gravity working for you. I also wonder how well this would work with a heavier guitar like a tele.
    That's really what I'd like to know: will this work on a 7 lb solidbody and how well does it function on the right leg.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    That's really what I'd like to know: will this work on a 7 lb solidbody and how well does it function on the right leg.
    From my experience the four suction cups will hold the weight of a plank but with the control cavity and cutaway their placement becomes more limited. I found all that weight though didn't distribute comfortably to the thigh. The unit is only 6mm thick and covered with let's say foam pipe insulation. The dynarette is 4 inches wide and while it imparts some temporary marks on my leg it doesn't cut off circulation. I'd like see the leg rest portion look like https://www.mundomusicgear.co.uk/col...guitar-support

User Info Menu

I've been using the Mundo guitar support for awhile and I like it. I've only used it on archtops, no planks, so I don't know how it would deal with a Tele. But it's very secure on my archtops, and I like the ability to move freely even with it on my leg. It works on either leg, any position.
    MUNDO GUITAR SUPPORT – Mundo Music Gear

User Info Menu

I have a Neckup for tele-style guitars -- works well!

This "Performaxe" looks promising, but expensive and out of stock (from Europe).

User Info Menu

Actually, I was thinking about the Dynarette. What's the downside of using that device?

User Info Menu

I have been using a medium size Guitarlift for about 2 months now and I'm a complete fan. It works fine on my 17" and 16" archtops as well as an OM style acoustic. It really solved my hip issues by being able to sit evenly on the chair. I play with the lift on my left leg in sorta/kinda classical position, both with the guitar vertical and slanted away. It absolutely does not slip and the suction cups work fine even with the deep arch of the 17" instruments. All of the pad based solutions were a huge compromise when changing instrument sizes and never stopped slipping around. The Guitarlift entirely solves these issues. Even on the ES175 size instruments with the Florentine cutaway work solidly without issues.

Highly recommended...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan0996
    Actually, I was thinking about the Dynarette. What's the downside of using that device?
    The downside is that it's not physically attached to the guitar so you still have to stabilize the guitar. It's not an issue with a larger guitar but it's a bit awkward with a solid body. On the other hand it's been a constant for me for the last five years.

User Info Menu

It works well on the right leg and with solid-body guitars!

Feel free to ask, if you have any questions.
    ...unfortunately I don't get paid by the company, but I'm a happy customer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford J17

Thanks. That's very close to my playing position. You're even picking that G&L above the neck pickup like I do. Very interesting.

User Info Menu

I don’t like the idea of contacting nitro with any stabilizer. I wouldn’t recommend using it on an expensive L5.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    I have a Neckup for tele-style guitars -- works well!
    i use the neckup with my classical / flamenco guitars and highly recommend it

User Info Menu

nice playing! which size/variation of the guitarlift are you using here?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford J17

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Yeah, the Borys Jazz Solid is a heavy monster, too. When I weighed it on my regular digital scale it was 10.6 lbs. Here's some pictures of them:
    Jazz Solid — Borys Guitars

It's like a mini B120 with a bit of a Les Paul shape. I'll check out the Guitarlift, too, but if I got a Dynarette, which size would be better-small or large?

User Info Menu

I use the dynarette cushion but one downside is if you record acoustically into sensitive microphones, it makes a bit of noise with even the slightest movement.