The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

I had zero intentions of getting another guitar, but I made the mistake of checking out the used hollowbodies on the Guitar Center site. Snagged this from for $499. (hardshell case was supposed to be included but it arrived with no case at all. The local manager called the store in Washingon and the case is on the way.) When it arrived from the other side of the country, it needed some minor tweaks. The strings must have been .009s, the first three strings were wound backwards, and the action was set so low that the strings were slamming the fretboard. Also, the wood bridge had been replaced with a Gibson Tune-O-Matic. It really needed to be cleaned up but there were no serious dings or other physical issues. Not all Guitar Center stores are equal. My local store would never had allowed a guitar to go out the door in the shape this one was in.

i had a Stew Mac ebony bridge in my parts drawer and it fit the base of the existing bridge perfectly. I correctly replaced the strings with a vintage set of Gibson L-5 strings I had laying around. (I will eventually try out some flat wound strings) After a cleanup as well as setting the proper bridge height and tuning her up, I was in sonic and playability paradise. Extremely little neck relief and no dead spots anywhere. I was also able to set the action very low so it plays very easily. While I had the strings off, I pulled the pickups and double checked to verify that whomever had this did not replace the super 58s with something else. The guitar has a rich sweet tone characteristic of the Super 58 pickups.

I checked the serial number and it is a 2013; the first year of production. That means the fretboard markers are pearl and abalone. In 2015 the pearl was replaced with plastic. The ebony fretboard is beautiful and the neck and action just make me not want to put it down.

I think I scored big on this one. Pics to follow.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Ibanez AF-155-af-155-front-jpegIbanez AF-155-af-155-front-jpeg

User Info Menu

That is lovely! I had a colleague who had this model in a creamy white. He sounded great through a Roland cube. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

I am trying to like the tailpiece. To my taste is the only weak point of the guitar cosmetically. Thinking about changing. Any suggestions?

Oh, and I am going to be selling my D'Angelico EX-SS. Not because I want to; just trying to stay married.

User Info Menu

I think you scored big time with that purchase, I would easily pay a G for a new one like that. I would try any of the old AF model tailpieces as some of them are really nice if you can find them or any of the George Benson series as they are readily available.

Those Super 58's are my favorite pickups for sound and economy.

Quote Originally Posted by skypeace
    I think you scored big time with that purchase, I would easily pay a G for a new one like that. I would try any of the old AF model tailpieces as some of them are really nice if you can find them or any of the George Benson series as they are readily available.

Any thoughts on a gold finger tailpiece? I can get one wholesale price.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skypeace

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsclosson
    I am trying to like the tailpiece. To my taste is the only weak point of the guitar cosmetically. Thinking about changing. Any suggestions?
    Congratulations on your new AF-155. As far as the tailpiece, have you considered another Ibanez parts? They have several tailpiece designs for their AF models. The challenge is finding a seller since Ibanez doesn't sell direct. Good luck.

Scroll down in this link: AF | PRODUCTS | Ibanez guitars

User Info Menu

That looks great! Congratulations! I have the lower budget AF-55, so I can imagine yours is even better! (And the AF-55 is already a lot of guitar for little money....).

I upgraded the tailpiece to this:

The tailpiece is MIC from AliExpress for $20 but looks great and looks of decent quality Ibanez AF-155

User Info Menu

Great guitar and congrats!
    Heres the AF2000 wood tailpiece in the parts catalog, its the same as used on the PM200. If no one else, Rich at Ibanezrules.com has ordered parts for me from Ibanez US.

Ibanez parts catalog

Ibanez AF-155-byrdtl_gd-jpeg

I also kind of like this one.

User Info Menu

Many other git companies could take painting a burst lessons from Ibanez.

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    Many other git companies could take painting a burst lessons from Ibanez.
    Ibanez aged whiskey burst is fast becoming my favorite guitar finish.

Ibanez aged whiskey burst is fast becoming my favorite guitar finish.
    Quick comment about poly finishes. Frankly, the high protective finish is not a problem for me. High end guitars lean toward nitro as it allows for a more resonant acoustic response, but, for whatever my opinion is worth, plugged in, this guitar sounds as good as any expensive guitar I have ever played and better than some. If I want a resonant acoustic sound, I will go to my Eastman Gypsy Jazz guitar.

Of course, YMMV

User Info Menu

I have exact the same guitar, also 2013 made. It sounds fantastic, I agree, but I tend to like more the aesthetics of the low budget AF-55 with not so shiny finish and chrome hardware!

I’m not in love with the tailpiece on my AF-155. I found this tailpiece on eBay. It’s from a George Benson 40th anniversary model. Thinking of it as a replacement. Any thoughts?Ibanez AF-155-d51bde35-89ac-4215-b79f-40f09d9a9129-jpeg

User Info Menu

rsc that’s a good question… guess it comes down to liking or not the GB curls. I’m Thinking it would add a neat dash of GB goodness. I really like the wood tailpieces on mine, but they’re all plain. (And I agree that AF tail is not the greatest.)
    Sorry, no real answer for ya, just my opinion.

GB has stated in a couple Ibanez videos how he does and likes graphic design and that his logo, etc was done by him. Wonder if the design on that tailpiece is his work.

jk

Well, I finished swapping out the tailpiece. I have no regrets. It made the change beautifully. Of course, it was strictly cosmetic. The original tailpiece worked fine. I just wanted something more pleasing to my eyes.
    The tailpiece was too glossy for my taste, so I very carefully dulled the finish for a more natural appearance. Ibanez AF-155-f5296fdc-0bd7-4dfd-892d-26b355eb9d80-jpg

User Info Menu