The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 61

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ColMc
    Ok point taken.
    I was under the impression that a 3 piece neck was more stable but you learn something new everyday.
    One question, would it really make a difference with an electric guitar?

Also the SJ300 is more an L5 style of guitar. I believe it's a follow on from the SS500.

A 3-piece neck probably IS more stable than a one-piece neck. Plywood panels, of similar thickness, are MUCH stronger than solid wood. The grain counteracts, and reinforces, the other cross-grain, to resist impact. Watch, a karate guy break boards---pretty easy if you split the grain....Not so easy with engineered plywood panels.

Wood grain is, in essence, the tiny capillary-like structure from the tree that transmitted fluids, etc. As such, temperature/humidity changes, will cause solid wood to expand, contract more over time, and in one dimension, than with cross-grained construction. Real "Chippendale" is probably the pinnacle of fine furniture-making. Chippendale used box construction with veneered wood, finishing layers. (Howard Hughes built a large flying wood plane, the spruce goose...I think it was 300' long...you can bet it wasn't done with "solid wood"---pieces of that size didn't exist, and wouldn't have been able to resist the stresses.

BUT....as Jimmy D. and Jack Z. pointed out, cross-graining dampens vibrations....so....less acoustic transmission, with an effect on sound quality.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Being a bit bored due to the quarantine-situation I do some guitar window shopping. I have a wonderful Ibanez GB10 so I do not really need another guitar. Anyway my curiousity led me to look at some bigger bodied guitars like the Gibson L5 or the bigger Ibanez models. I found a GB200 for sale nearby. Given my good experience with the GB10 I am interested If I'd like that bigger bodied model. Any thoughts on this model?

User Info Menu

I think you would be surprised at just how big a GB10 can sound compared to an L5 and the likes a GB10 set up properly will be right there in that ballpark, either my or i father posted this several years ago,) somehow remember Jack Zucker agreeing, i know he had several GB10's .

Put a set of 13 Chromes,because of the tension, a GB10 is 24.75" you can use the Tailpiece tensioner and (yes it does work well), with higher tension strings you are getting closer to L5 there is a difference, between 25" and 24.75" scales,

.Pickups were hotter on some years ( i cant remember all the data)

Is your GB10 MIJ or the SE version, they also have different pickups, i seem to recall being SE slightly thinner across the lower width.

User Info Menu

Thanks Marvin, I have no problem getting what I want to hear out of the GB10 (strung with Chromes 012, made in Japan, bought new last year – in fact my wonderful wife gave it to me for christmas).
    I'm just curious and a bit bored due to the quarantine (no gigs and rehearsals to play) I played an LGB30 before the shut down and liked it – now this beautiful GB200 (visually I prefer the florentine cutaway) popped up and I just want to collect opinions. Nothing serious – first world problem. ;-)

User Info Menu

A GB10 is on "my list" for a future purchase. I'm not a huge GB fan (not yet anyway), but I really love the idea of the small body BUT DEEP... I own a 16" Gretsch and I love it, but it's not a jazzbox, not really.... especially with the trestle bracing, it makes it respond more like a 335 than a full-hollowbody. I'd love to have a guitar that sounds at least kind of acoustic when unplugged.... and the Gretsch doesn't really.

But between the small size of the GB, and the floaters (Johnny Smith is one of my favorite plugged-in tones), the sounds I've heard out of the GBs (by others than GB himself too), and all the rave reviews I have read.... it's on "my list."

User Info Menu

l own a couple of GB5s, I believe the GB200 is the next step, making the cutaway deeper for extended upper register playing. It’s a slightly smaller L5 if you will and the Super 58s really deliver. Not a carved top, solid spruce pressed, GB usually has clear tape on the f-holes to help reduce feedback A little. Set in pickups, the GB10s having floaters give a totally different response. Both are pleading but comparing is pointless. They’re Ibanezs upper tier model and every aspect of them screams quality. Really fine guitars

User Info Menu

I like all of its appointments except the single color (only one very basic/generic burst). When I was interested in it, sound samples were also limited.

User Info Menu

Not quite true, GB plays s GB200 throughout the entire ABDOLUTELY LIVE dvd which has lots of clips on YouTube,!
    i know where that very guitar is.

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    I like all of its appointments except the single color (only one very basic/generic burst). When I was interested in it, sound samples were also limited.
    Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 05-10-2020 at 10:31 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    l own a couple of GB5s, I believe the GB200 is the next step, making the cutaway deeper for extended upper register playing. It’s a slightly smaller L5 if you will and the Super 58s really deliver. Not a carved top, solid spruce pressed, GB usually has clear tape on the f-holes to help reduce feedback A little. Set in pickups, the GB10s having floaters give a totally different response. Both are pleading but comparing is pointless. They’re Ibanezs upper tier model and every aspect of them screams quality. Really fine guitars
    Mike, I understand that you own both Ibanez GB5 and Gibson L5. How do you think these compare?
    I'm totally happy with my GB10 but somehow would also like to try a big box. There is an Ibanez GB200 as well as an L5 CES on sale in sensible distance – I can't get to try them now due to corona travel limitations (and also my own quarantine which will last till tomorrow) so all I can do now is "window shopping" and collect some opinions.

User Info Menu

well that’s a tough question. My L5s are from the late 30s and mid 50s Anare built differently than What most cats here want (heavier builds, thicker tops) Than my old girls

it’s near impossible to compare the Gibson and Ibanez models. The GB5 is great, wow the quality is superb, but it’s different than an L5. You have to try them to see if they’d work FOR YOU...

And all these threads where guys are sayin OH THIS IS THE BEST, maybe FOR THEM. Whatever you get is gonna be YOUR BABY... try them both, it’ll be worth the wait. Me telling you don’t mean jack. It’s gotta work FOR YOU.

User Info Menu

@guavajelly: I have a GB10 and GB200 so I'll chime in. However, only you can determine if stepping up to either a GB200 or L5 is the right call. I do not own an L5. In fact due to their high cost I likely never will. For me the GB200 is a reasonably priced substitute. Also, I have a bum right shoulder, making it painful to play large bodied archtops for any length of time.

The GB200 is slightly smaller than an L5, closer to a Gibson Lee Ritenour L5 in body size. And its tone is very close to an L5 to my ears. I enjoy switching between the GB10 and GB200. The 200 is tonally, a fatter sounding GB10. That can clearly be heard in George Benson's recordings posted above.

Many of the L5 owners on this forum have the highest praise for that model. And it seems that most are very satisfied long term. The only downside I've read about L5's is the issue of Gibson's inconsistent quality. Again, I have no personal experience with L5's. Conversely, Ibanez has a great reputation for their consistently high quality, especially on their MIJ signature models.

Finally, if you are considering used, make sure the guitar is unmodified or undamaged by the previous owner. If there is any way you can get your hands on one in advance of buying, that is always best. Good hunting.

It's basically a Ibanez AF200 which is a nice guitar I have one with 13 chromes and it sounds great I just got an L5 because I couldn't get the right sound out of it with chords they get a little muddy

But single note wise it's sweet

User Info Menu

Just ordered the GB200 – from a shop so I can send it back if I don't like it. In the end I decided to go with the practical value so decided for the GB200 over the GB5 and L5 because of ...
    • the deeper cutaway compared to L5 and GB5 – will make it easier to reach the last frets – I don't play up there that often but IF the solo takes me there it's good not to be stopped by the guitar – one of the reasons I prefer the GB10 over my ES330.
    • the poly finish – I had problems with sticky laquer finishes during the last hot summers (I virtually couldn't play my ES330 during the hot months and had to use my Ibanez artcore instead as I didn't have the GB10 then) and is also more resistant to scratches and dents (you don't want to know how my Eastman AR905 looked after only a couple years of heavy usage) – the shop says it looks like new.

I ordered from the same shop where I bought my GB10 – they have great customer support. Will report the results when it's here. Wow, window shopping lead to a purchase pretty fast ...

User Info Menu

The GB200 arrived last weekend. Now my music room looks like a GB-fanboy-mancave.
    Ibanez GB200?-img_5708-jpg
    It's a great guitar. Everything about it screams top quality. The difference to the GB10 is exactly like GB himself describes in some youtube videos. The tone of the small box is punchier while the bigger box has more depth and weight. I'm not sure if this couldn't be dialed in by tweaking the EQ – will have to experiment a bit. The smaller box is more comfortable to play standing up, while sitting down with the GB200 feels very good and solid.

User Info Menu

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a bigger sized jazz box. I already own a GB-12 which I absolutely love but am looking for a fatter sound and a guitar that's not going to get muddy when playing fast chord progressions like GB and Wes... the L-5 seems like a great choice but I find those 25.5 necks a bit long for my taste and prefer the 24.75...

With this specific caracteristic in mind, and haven't played either or, what are your thoughts re: GB 200 vs LGB 300?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Hey Dr J

My L5 resides in its case ever since I discovered the Ibanez neck. Between some wrist damage and playing chords thumb over they are great necks. For me). When I pull the L5 out I’m shocked at how heavy it is, but I’ve gotten 20 years older since I gigged with it lol.

I think you would really enjoy the larger GB models. I did have a GB10, but found it just not the right sound for chord/melody. the GB200 and LGB300 are MIJ, the 200 has been out of production since 2013 according to the Ibanez Wiki GB200 | Ibanez Wiki | Fandom.

I have a 2014 AF200 and a 2016 PM200 both MIJ and would stand them up against any production guitar, the MIJs are a fine instrument. Based on all that IMHO if you could find a GB200 I would think for the price you’d do real well. You may want to check out ibanezrules.com, IBANEZ LGB300VYS GEORGE BENSON. Highly recommend Rich.

Budget wise you might consider an LGB30. I did have a LGB30, a made in China one. Very comfortable to play, good tone. The more recent ones are made in Indonesia . I think the quality is a bit better than the China ones.

Likely you know this, but you’ll find a lot (a LOT) of confusion around Ibanez pups. The MIJs have the “real” Super 58s. I tried swapping my AF 58 neck with a DiMarzio 36th and a Benedetto a6. The 58 and the a6 were very close but somehow the 58 was more playable, more responsive than the a6. YMMV. The Ibanez Super58 Custom in the China/Indonesian guitars are not up to the sound quality of the real Super 58, but do a nice dark jazz tone.

Kind of random thoughts, hope it helps.

Good luck!
    dave

User Info Menu

Thanks for your thorough reply, helps a lot!

I'm looking forward to trying the GB-200 eventually, buying a guitar without playing first is a gamble IMHO... but I totally agree with you with re: to the Gibson vs Ibanez GB necks.

I currently also have an artcore guitar AK95 which is gorgeous but from a playability stand point, I've kind of outgrown since I've tasted the GB-12 which I purchased this spring.

is the GB 200 pressed or carved top vs LGB 300? and although I agree that all super 58's are not equal, what would you think about swapping the pups of either the 200 or 300 for the gibson 57's to get closer to an L-5 sound while enjoying the ibanez neck's playability..??

thoughts?

Thanks so much

Dr J

User Info Menu

Cool!
    Yea I’ve never seen “hand carved top” and “Ibanez” together in a sentence. However on both of mine you can see signs of hand work in the interior so some human did some adjusting.

i picked up a AF95FM just as the world shut down off Reverb as a ‘knock around’ (450$!) It’s Indonesian and I do think they do a better job than the Chinese factory did. Have an AF151 my first Ibanez, Chinese, nice neck but I could never bond with it.

Gee I’m not sure what the Gibson pups would do, I wonder if jzucker or bigmike ever tried that. The L5 is deeper, way heavier built, carved, and a 5 piece neck. So I’m thinking all that adds up to create the L5 sound (with the pickup). And strings. Lot of electronics voodoo floating around regarding pups. They sit at an intersection of the guitar, strings, your own playing style, your fingers, and of course the amp. A nightmare to honestly model that function.

Also I notice people define the L5 sound differently. Two ends of the spectrum some want the Wes thunk yet others want the more acoustic finger picking clarity.

dave

User Info Menu

A couple of months ago I was lucky to buy a second hand Ibanez GB200. I am totally happy with my compact GB10 but was curious how the bigger sister (the body is just a little bit over 16" wide) would perform. Although both are not designed to be an acoustic archtop even unplugged the difference is audible.
    It seems like the bigger guitar resonates a little deeper than the smaller. This also translates to the amplified tones. So while the 10 is agile, bright and punchy the GB200, while not being lame or muddy sounds more sonorous and relaxed – for lack of a better word: bigger ;-).
    Pickups may also contribute to this. It is also very comfortable to play seated while the 10 is more comfortable to play standing up.
    I'm very happy to have both.
    Ibanez GB200?-img_0175-jpeg

User Info Menu

Vert attractive guitar. Kinda round all over.

User Info Menu

A beauty - Happy New Guitar Day!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guavajelly
    A couple of months ago I was lucky to buy a second hand Ibanez GB200. I am totally happy with my compact GB10 but was curious how the bigger sister (the body is just a little bit over 16" wide) would perform. Although both are not designed to be an acoustic archtop even unplugged the difference is audible.
    It seems like the bigger guitar resonates a little deeper than the smaller. This also translates to the amplified tones. So while the 10 is agile, bright and punchy the GB200, while not being lame or muddy sounds more sonorous and relaxed – for lack of a better word: bigger ;-).
    Pickups may also contribute to this. It is also very comfortable to play seated while the 10 is more comfortable to play standing up.
    I'm very happy to have both.
    Ibanez GB200?-img_0175-jpeg
    That is a lovley guitar whose zaftig lines exemplify its mellow tones. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Size does matter!

I wish I could find this old cartoon -- two nuns are walking in a cathedral and one says to the other: "it's all about the size of the organ."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Size does matter!

I wish I could find this old cartoon -- two nuns are walking in a cathedral and one says to the other: "it's all about the size of the organ."

Reminds me of the 2 nuns riding bicycles down a bumpy cobblestone road in the French countryside.

One says to the other, "Do you come this way often?"

The other says, "No, usually I think of Fr. Jacques and touch myself."

User Info Menu

Congratulations on your new-to-you GB200.

I agree wholeheartedly about the difference between that and the GB10. While both have that definitive midrange attack that Mr. Benson needs, the GB200 takes it up a notch with even more tonal richness.

Enjoy and play it in good health.