The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 41 of 41

User Info Menu

Nice guitar, easy to play and sounds nice.

Can sunken tops be fixed?-d58e86d6-ed11-4882-af2c-6ecda7b12dcf-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I wouldn't buy a guitar with a sagging top. However, does the top really sag? Some Gibson archtops have two top points with a flat area between them. Judging from your photo, it doesn't seem as the bridge saddle is screwed up high, like it would have been if the top was sagging severely. But check it out thoroughly, including a mirror inspection of the inside (the condition of braces). As for the narrow nut, I don't like it (I'm used to 1.75" nut width) but that's a matter of personal taste. Kenny Burrells old faithful Super400 has the narrow 1960s neck and it hasn't prevented him from making outstanding music with it.

User Info Menu

op mentions it has had a neck reset...that's reason why bridge isn't jacked high...they angled the neck in the reset to make up for the sinking top...doesnt mean the top won't sink further...lighter strings and a post under the bridge might help delay any further angle problems..hard to tell from a pic

luck

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    op mentions it has had a neck reset...that's reason why bridge isn't jacked high...they angled the neck in the reset to make up for the sinking top...doesnt mean the top won't sink further...lighter strings and a post under the bridge might help delay any further angle problems..hard to tell from a pic
    luck
    cheers
    Of course! One thing leads to another! You are genius!

Adding the narrow nut and huge price I think I’ll skip this one.

Thanks everybody!

User Info Menu

I think the only way to prevent further sinking is to install a sound post under the bridge.

After that it’s probably a great guitar but I find the price too high for a sunken top guitar..... I would do it for a $1000 less!
    Last edited by Little Jay; 05-06-2020 at 01:57 AM.

User Info Menu

Hello all, long time reader here but, generally not much of a poster. However, I received a new (old) Guild x150D today and am having some issues. I got it for a steal because the owner said it had fret buzz, which was quickly remedied with a truss rod and action readjustment. However, the action is just high enough right now with the saddle on the high e basically maxed out. It's absolutely playable as-is, I would even go as far to describe it as near optimal, but I'm a bit worried as there's minimal contact between the adjustment screw and the bridge. I am reasonably knowledgablE about the ins and outs of guitars and this feels like an issue that would occur with a sunken top, yet the top really doesn't look too bad for a 20+ year old guitar. I need to get a new bridge regardless, but I'd appreciate any input on the state of the top; maybe I'm completely off base and it is sunken terribly.

Also, if anyone happens to know what the radius is on these, I'd appreciate it!

Can sunken tops be fixed?-x150d-jpg
    Last edited by Dwafers; 05-13-2021 at 05:50 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dwafers
    Hello all, long time reader here but, generally not much of a poster. However, I received a new (old) Guild x150D today and am having some issues. I got it for a steal because the owner said it had fret buzz, which was quickly remedied with a truss rod and action readjustment. However, the action is just high enough right now with the saddle on the high e basically maxed out. It's absolutely playable as-is, I would even go as far to describe it as near optimal, but I'm a bit worried as there's minimal contact between the adjustment screw and the bridge. I am reasonably knowledgablE about the ins and outs of guitars and this feels like an issue that would occur with a sunken top, yet the top really doesn't look too bad for a 20+ year old guitar. I need to get a new bridge regardless, but I'd appreciate any input on the state of the top; maybe I'm completely off base and it is sunken terribly.

Also, if anyone happens to know what the radius is on these, I'd appreciate it!

Can sunken tops be fixed?-x150d-jpg

User Info Menu

Difficult to see from the photo. Could you post another that takes in the whole area from tailpiece to rhe end of the neck - that will help us to give you a view.......

User Info Menu

My i50 looks like the picture. I put a Sadowski saddle on it . These Guilds don't seem to have much arch. Sounds excelent Plays like like butter. mickmac

User Info Menu

I would get a mirror on the inside and check for cracked braces or other structural issues. My experience is that archtops, like houses can settle over time and be totally stable, while looking a bit "off". As an archtop guitar sinks, the break angle to the tailpiece changes and this can affect tone and playability. If there are no structural issues and you like the sound and playability, all you need to do is address the bridge issue (either build up the base, get a taller saddle or just replace the entire unit.)

User Info Menu

Here's a pic of the larger area.

guild-2 — ImgBB

It really doesn't look that bad to my eyes, but the bridge being cranked up is rather strange to me. I originally though someone shaved it down (the base is very thin), but the original serial number is still sharpied on the bottom. Regardless, I'll have to get a new bridge, or at least a new larger base.

User Info Menu

It does not look sunk to me, but it won’t hurt to take a light and a mirror and inspect the braces for cracks or becoming unglued....

User Info Menu

I was able to get a mirror in there and both braces look good, no cracks or separation. The base measures only about 4mm tall which seems rather small. Even 5mm would get me into acceptable range; it's sitting at about 2.2mm on the low e and 1.9mm on the high e (12th fret on both) with pretty much no more room to go up without wobbling on the thumbscrews.

User Info Menu

For around $15-25 you can order a new rosewood bridge on ebay. Chinese or Indian made. They are great: well made, good looking and perfectly functional. I have one on my 1950 ES-125. Mine has a base or foot that seems taller than average, so perfect for you guitar it seems.

User Info Menu

Afaik any structural problem would be visible or at least hearable/feelable.
    Are you sure the neck is straight?

I‘ve seen thicker bridge bases if you like to raise up the string height (to me your string height sounds high but that‘s just me :-P)…

Best advice: check out

Archtops/Hollowbodies | Let's Talk Guild

I‘m sure they can help!

User Info Menu

I cannot tell the top is sunk. Need a better picture. Some archtops appear to flatten at the top where the bridge meets and not sunk. I just cannot tell a thing from the picture.