The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

Hi all,

I’m new here so hello all.

First post. I don’t understand technical stuff and need some advice.

I am considering buying a Yamaha SA2200 as an upgrade from my Ibanez AM100FMD, but I notice it uses a Gotoh GE103B bridge with a 305mm radius whereas the neck has a 350mm radius. Does this matter?

I ask because one reviewer of this guitar said it was an issue, last leading to the two E strings buzzing when bringing the D and G strings down enough for low action.

I would have assumed the factory would have cut the slots in the saddles to compensate. Surely this would be an easy enough job? On the other hand, I like a very low action so I'm wondering if this could cause me problems.

Yamaha SA2200 Opinion?-yamaha-sa2200-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi and welcome! The SA2200 is one of the finest 335-style guitars, made at Yamaha's Custom Shop in Japan. I had one for many years, and still regret selling it. The radius discrepancy is negligible. If you draw a stretch of a circle with a 350 mm radius and another with 300 mm overlapping it, for the width of the fretboard there's practically no deviation. I have heard of some issues with the one-piece mahogany neck twisting but not recently. Have a good look or ask an expert to check it out before you buy. I thought the original PUs were too strong and had them replaced by Seymour Duncans. Wrong move: the coil split feature became useless due to the low output in single-coil mode. For jazz, just adjust the neck PU deeper into its pit for more clarity on block chords.

User Info Menu

Can you show a picture of the bridge to see how deep the slots are now?

Thank you, Gitterbug, for your welcome and your experience. I'm glad this isn't a real world issue. Regarding the neck, do you believe that if this was an issue it has been resolved by a change in workshop practices? It has sort of put me off buying second - hand though.

I've heard videos of the stock pickups seem pretty good so I won't be likely to change them.

Hi icr, I'm afraid I haven't got a picture of the guitar as I am only starting my search for one and haven't narrowed it down to any particular instrument.

I will contact some stores after the holiday break. As I said above, it's not a great time to try though, so I might have to be careful in my choices.

User Info Menu

I think second hand is actually safer, as any potential warping is behind, not ahead. Try before you buy is the best advice.

User Info Menu

I bought mine new about 2 years ago when Yamaha had a 20% discount on them. Of my 5 electrics it is the one I play the most. Build quality is superb, as has been previously stated. It is all stock. I never feel the need to swap the pickups, as they suit the style of the guitar perfectly. It does everything from classic rock, thru blues to classic jazz. Love it!

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

I'm certainly looking at it and it has a lot going for it. I'm slightly put off by the fear of the neck warping, though.
    I had assumed from Gitterbug's first response that this was a thing of the past but he seems to suggest it might be ongoing which is a bit of a worry.

User Info Menu

I read many reviews and forum posts before buying mine and never came across anyone mentioning neck problems. My feeling is that it must be pretty rare. Beware the phenomenon of Internet magnification of issues. Out of 1000 buyers, if one has a problem it appears in a post, but the other 999 happy buyers don't post to say they had no neck issues.
    Thus 100% of posts refer to an issue that only 0.1% actually experience.

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Mine was from around 2004. It developed a slight neck issue near the nut. I addressed it with a flat file and fine wet&dry sandpaper. An issue becomes a problem if there's not an immediate or easy solution, or if it gets worse over time. This wasn't even a borderline case. The fact that the guitar is still in production attests to its qualities and staying power.

User Info Menu

Hello, my name is Carlo from ITALY, my new guitar is yamaha sa2200 with boss 100 mk2. What is your experience with this guitar? Defects? Benefits? Thanks and sorry for my language.

User Info Menu

A super fine guitar, I still regret selling mine years ago. Auguri e tanta gioia!

Markku

User Info Menu

They are awesome guitars. Ciao!

User Info Menu

I'm not sure what the differences are between the SA models but the 2100 is known to have finish "ghost" shadows. Other than that, they're GR8 lookers, players and sound excellent.

User Info Menu

Among the finest semi hollow bodies made, by any standard. Also one of the most overlooked in the crowded world of really good guitars of this type. Their construction has always been consistently top quality and their electronics uncompromising. Very solid professional instruments. I think you'll be happy with it.

User Info Menu

Never owned the SA2200 but I have owned two SG2000 from the 80s and they were incredible guitars. Really regret selling, they have quadrupled in value. Yamaha makes excellent guitars.

User Info Menu

I have Fenders, PRS SE, Ibanez and Eastman in my music room and all get played regularly, but the one I pick up the most is my Yamaha SA2200. It is rock solid, great neck, stays in tune and it sounds great for any style from clean jazz thru blues to fusion.

Sent from my XQ-AS52 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I agree. The SA2200 is a great semi-acoustic guitar.

User Info Menu

Thanks for your answers, I was undecided but now I'm happy with my choice

User Info Menu

The SA2200 is a great guitar. If their necks were a bit thicker, I would seriously consider buying one.

User Info Menu

Mount Alnico v pick up Do you like the Alnico 5 sound?

User Info Menu

I think they sound great. Some people think that they are a bit hot. Consider the era they harken back to... I find Alnico 5 magnet pickups in general to be no problem.

User Info Menu

The SAH-SAIG pickups are quite strong. I had mine changed to Seymour Duncans. Mellower for jazz but the coil split became useless. Keep the originals and just screw the neck PU a bit deeper. In bocca al lupo!

User Info Menu

If I didn't own an excellent 1980 Ibanez AS200 the Yamaha would be high on my shopping list. Great guitars!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ray175
    If I didn't own an excellent 1980 Ibanez AS200 the Yamaha would be high on my shopping list. Great guitars!
    What difference did you hear between Ibanez and Yamaha?