The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I got a great deal on a shop floor used demo Raezer’s Edge Nighthawk now known as the Acoustic 10 ER.
    Apparently though the tweeter hadn’t been tested a lot before they sent it out and it sounds like it is blown it makes a crackly garbled noise whenever I activate it regardless of which amp head or guitar I’m using it with I’ve tried both tube and solid state heads.

I’m pretty handy with a soldering iron and do my own wiring of guitars and minor repairs and replacements of guitar parts but I have never replaced a tweeter that’s of the crossover style that’s used in the Raezer’s Edge Nighthawk. I looked and it’s looks to be a few wires set up to do so.

The seller has offered to pay for a shop to replace it and then go ahead and bill them. I may be able to do it myself and just have them pay for the tweeter.

Or the seller also offered to pay at their cost shipping it back to them and then sending me a regular Raezer’s edge stealth 12 or a stealth 10 at no cost to me.

I’ve had the acoustic 10 ER before so I’m familiar with it when the tweeters is working but I’ve never had the stealth 12 or the 10. I would mainly be playing chord melody through a 175 and through a telecaster with a neck humbucker a la Ed Bickert.

I like a nice warm sound but I tend to use the bright switch a lot on polytones to cut through when I’ve had them with a darker guitar.

I already have a big fender 6l6 tube amp for a really bright sound. I do like the slightly compressed room filling sound for personal practice though but the speaker in the Stealth 10 looks like it cuts out around 3.8kHz and the Delta 12 looks like at least goes up to 5kHz I might be able to get a little more traditional sound or even replace the speaker in the 12. I tend to prefer if I only have one speaker to at least have a 12 inch speaker but I’ve never owned a Stealth 10.

What are some of your thoughts? I like the possibility of some sparkle in the high-end even if it’s not gonna be like my Fender 6L6 Concert.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I really like the adjustable tweeter on my RE ER speakers. With straight archtop I turn it up just enough to open up the sound--I find it helps keep the speaker from sounding boxy. When using a modeler I turn it up more to let the modeler's IRs control the voicing.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

I replaced the tweeter in my Stealth10 ER, and it was easy. You don't need to worry about the crossover network. There are two wires going to the tweeter just like any other speaker, and use standard pressure-fit clips, just like any other speaker. The hardest part is removing the tweeter, and that's not really hard. You shouldn't need to do any soldering, just remove the wires from the tweeter, noting which is hot and which is ground, remove the old tweeter, install the new one, and replace the wires on the back of it.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I replaced the tweeter in my Stealth10 ER, and it was easy. You don't need to worry about the crossover network. There are two wires going to the tweeter just like any other speaker, and use standard pressure-fit clips, just like any other speaker. The hardest part is removing the tweeter, and that's not really hard. You shouldn't need to do any soldering, just remove the wires from the tweeter, noting which is hot and which is ground, remove the old tweeter, install the new one, and replace the wires on the back of it.
    Yeah thanks the both of you I think I really did want a little bit more of that high end so I think I’m gonna keep it and just replace the tweeter I went head and bought one that’s compatible.

When I opened it up and looked inside I put my hand on the tweeter and it seems to be on pretty firmly is it screwed on in someway that I didn’t notice or is it attached somehow? I’ll look it up see if I can find a resource for it as well. Thanks!

User Info Menu

I don't know how the tweeter in that particular amp is attached. They come with threads in the front, so they can be screwed into the back of a compatible speaker, and are usually mounted via the threads whether the mounting location is wood or metal. I would remove the wires and try to unscrew it by turning it counterclockwise, because it should be normal right-hand threads. It will probably require several turns to unscrew it because the threads are somewhat fine. If it's mounted into wood, there may be some sort of adhesive or silicone holding it, in which case you should be able to unscrew it normally, perhaps with some force to start.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I don't know how the tweeter in that particular amp is attached. They come with threads in the front, so they can be screwed into the back of a compatible speaker, and are usually mounted via the threads whether the mounting location is wood or metal. I would remove the wires and try to unscrew it by turning it counterclockwise, because it should be normal right-hand threads. It will probably require several turns to unscrew it because the threads are somewhat fine. If it's mounted into wood, there may be some sort of adhesive or silicone holding it, in which case you should be able to unscrew it normally, perhaps with some force to start.
    That’s very helpful!