Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
Great jazz has been played on every kind of guitar.

For me, the ergonomics of the instrument is paramount. First, do I like the size, shape and feel of the neck? Second, is the body comfortable to hold? Does it balance properly? These are all things you can't easily change.

Next, does it sustain the way I want it to? Archtops and solid bodies sustain differently. This is asking, will this guitar make *my* music?

Next, does the high end ring out clearly and with a full sound, or is it tinny? You'd think this would be a matter of setup, but that hasn't been my experience.

Then, you get to sound. That's complicated too, because there are some characteristics of sound that are pretty easy to change and others that aren't.

A complicating factor is that, no matter how you feel about these issues, your feelings are subject to change over time as you grow as a player.

So, I never know how to advise somebody on what guitar to get. How can I know what will feel right in somebody else's hand?

My best advice is to get a 30 day return privilege.

I could add this. Certain brands are consistently of good quality. I don't have experience with many of them, but I have experience with several Yamaha products and I think all of them were good value. I often gigged (pre covid) with the cheapest electric guitar Yamaha makes, the Pacific 012 Strat type (mine has replacement tuners and a Lil 59 at the neck). Playability is excellent for those that like the feel and sound is fair to good. I have a Yamaha acoustic, an electric piano and an amp, all of good quality.

Very well said, RP! Good advice here.
Play live . . . Marinero