The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 29 of 29

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    ...For anybody thinking of using this stuff, use real sharp router bits 'cause it tears out easily - I'm dreading the round over process.
    Skip: why not use a really small radius for the roundover (I personally prefer a really small roundover radius) - that will probably mitigate the potential tearout.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 05-12-2021 at 08:50 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickWD
    Know what you mean about guitars being to heavy. Playing long gigs with a heavy guitar gets quite noticeable on the shoulders after a while. Having a lightweight guitar is really worth it!
    I got a local luthier to build me a partscaster with a sugarpine body from Allparts last year.
    I wanted a fatter sound than the typical tele pickup, but many humbuckers sounds to dark for what i wanted, so my luthier suggested a humbucker from Amber pickups called "the spirit of 59". It uses aged alnico 5 magnets, and sounds quite a bit brighter than the humbuckers on my other guitars.

I'm very happy with the result.
    Here's a recording using that guitar:

Beautiful tone and playing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Skip: why not use a really small radius for the roundover (I personally prefer a really small roundover radius) - that will probably mitigate the potential tearout.
    I use a 3/16" radius bit

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Interesting. I thought about those when I bought my noiseless Tele pick ups from Wilde, but all the demos I found focused on more typical Tele tones. From my reading about the Microcoils, capacitor choices are quite broader in range then with a standard Tele pickups (anything from .0047 to .047 and both below and above. Using capacitance to manage tone with those pickups seems to be much more flexible).

What pots and cap did you end up with? And how is output? Alnico or ceramic?
    Fairly sure mine are neo magnet Microcoils. They have adjustable poles (although the adjustment doesn't really do much for string balance).
    I'm using the stock pots/caps in my MIJ Tele - 250k pots and standard 0.047 cap.

Output is comparable to the stock pickups - they're not super high output. They have a bit more midrange heft - the high frequency is smoother than the stock pickups. Clearer and cleaner, but not sterile at all.