The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I recently purchased a vintage gibson archtop 1948 L12 looking for the best non invasive pickup i see k&k has one that jiyst slides under the bridge ive had good luck with them in the past on dreadnoughts. I practice and study jazz for technique but gig and do some open mics playing country bluegrass and Americana here in Oklahoma. Thanks to all

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This is what I use.

Pickup for a vintage acoustic archtop-dsc_0018-b-2018_08_24-00_11_34-utc-jpg

User Info Menu

DeArmond monkey on a stick all day long. FHC Guitar Mike, Rhythm Chief 1000 (pictures), or Rhythm Chief 1100 are all good. The FHC can be mounted without pickguard alteration if you’re using one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan

DeArmond monkey on a stick all day long. FHC Guitar Mike, Rhythm Chief 1000 (pictures), or Rhythm Chief 1100 are all good. The FHC can be mounted without pickguard alteration if you’re using one.

The original ones are very costly and often have issues - you might want to check out the RC 1000 / RC 1100 re-issues by Guild. They do sound very nice ! NOTE : these new ones do not come with the control box nor the long rod that is clamped to the strings. A volume/tone thumbwheel combo underneath the pickguard (> Schatten) is an often applied non-invasive solution.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan

This is what I use.

User Info Menu

Another vote for the old dearmonds.

gives your guitar a vibe that’s super killer, sound wise and visually.

royal pain in the arse to mount though. I suggest you have it mounted with the small rod attached to the neck, using the stick is a floppy exercise in frustration, at least on my experience.

User Info Menu

I would use one of the dearmond reproductions that are fine and probably best bet to get another pickguard made for that set up. Keep the original and if you want to play acoustic you can simply swap them out. Get a regular L5 pickguard with simply volume control mounted on it although getting the dearmond will require the rod be drilled of screws. If you don't want to do that then get a Kent Armstrong floater and mount it to the guard. The whole project is probably less than $250 if you do it yourself. it could be done a for less if you hunt correct.

User Info Menu

I used an acoustic Super400 for a while with an original gold-plated RC1100 - instead of a rod I stuck the pickup to the top with a small piece of silicon rubber tape - it held just fine without wiggle, made no extra noise, looked super clean and was removable without any trace, perfect solution in that matter - unfortunately the guitar was not fit for the stage, the feedback issue made us part ways again.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    I used an acoustic Super400 for a while with an original gold-plated RC1100 - instead of a rod I stuck the pickup to the top with a small piece of silicon rubber tape - it held just fine without wiggle, made no extra noise, looked super clean and was removable without any trace, perfect solution in that matter - unfortunately the guitar was not fit for the stage, the feedback issue made us part ways again.....
    3M poster putty can work very well from that job also.

FWIW I don’t find a monkey on a stick difficult to work with at all.