The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

I've had this for about 4 months now and have been too busy playing it to put a post here!

It's a Maton Starline Custom Acoustic from 1979. It's all carved, X braced, kind of like a Johnny Smith.
    Maton are probably Australia's biggest guitar maker - they made some fine archtops but sadly today they only make flat top acoustics.

My understanding is this is an extremely rare instrument. Maton made some acoustic Starlines back in the 50s and 60s with a different body shape- but it seems possible this could be the only one in this body style. It was a one-off custom order.

It was originally owned by the Australian jazz guitarist George Golla - he is worth checking out if you're not familiar with him. A really great player.

N.B the pickup is not original - this guitar is an acoustic. It had no pickup originally. The pickup is a Vintage Vibe floating CC style pickup with adjustable poles.

Something different - Maton Starline ex. George Golla-george-golla-jpg
    Last edited by entresz; 05-18-2021 at 06:45 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Here's a photo of George Golla with the same guitar
    Something different - Maton Starline ex. George Golla-gettyimages-1078791536-612x612-jpg

User Info Menu

Very cool. I like that 3-bar frequensator style tail.

User Info Menu

Good interview here;

This whole thread has magically taken me back fifty years!

Such a great interview!
    I was lucky enough to sit in with him 5 years ago - he did a tour celebrating his 80th birthday.
    He was playing beautifully - and getting a great sound out of an Epiphone SG of all things!

User Info Menu

Great guitar !!!

Maton did make a limited run of archtops not long ago, the Starline 4606, a 60th anniversary celebration of the original Starline series. This is mine.... Not suitable for acoustic playing, and an excellent jazz box plugged in..

Something different - Maton Starline ex. George Golla-maton1-jpg

User Info Menu

AND they knew how to spray a VERY nice sunburst.

Quote Originally Posted by bloos66
    Great guitar !!!

Maton did make a limited run of archtops not long ago, the Starline 4606, a 60th anniversary celebration of the original Starline series. This is mine.... Not suitable for acoustic playing, and an excellent jazz box plugged in..

Something different - Maton Starline ex. George Golla-maton1-jpg
    What a beauty! I love the headstock. Are these carved as well?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thelostboss
    If I am not mistaken, the listing is marked as 'Sold'. I've been thinking about selling mine as well if anybody is interested. Same price.

The top is carved - "The guitar has a hollow-bodied f-hole design, with a 16” wide sound box and solid carved spruce face".

Quote Originally Posted by bloos66
    If I am not mistaken, the listing is marked as 'Sold'. I've been thinking about selling mine as well if anybody is interested. Same price.

The top is carved - "The guitar has a hollow-bodied f-hole design, with a 16” wide sound box and solid carved spruce face".
    A stunning guitar! Looks a bit like the older George Golla model Matons (GG22?) but with the Starline appointments.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by entresz
    A stunning guitar! Looks a bit like the older George Golla model Matons (GG22?) but with the Starline appointments.
    Is that the guitar Golla used on the Don Burrows Quartet album, "Live at the Sydney Opera House?

User Info Menu

Referring to the photo he should be playing his signature guitar here :

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JFranck
    Referring to the photo he should be playing his signature guitar here :
    That's not the album I was referring to.

George did come out with a couple albums where he plays acoustic archtop - I'd say there's a good chance my guitar was used.
    This album is great - George, aside from being a great guitarist is a great arranger too.

It's a long story, but about 5-6 years ago I sat in with him at a gig. He was so very gracious and sharing. It was such a privilege to play with him

User Info Menu

George did come out with a couple albums where he plays acoustic archtop - I'd say there's a good chance my guitar was used.
    This album is great - George, aside from being a great guitarist is a great arranger too.

It's a long story, but about 5-6 years ago I sat in with him at a gig. He was so very gracious and sharing. It was such a privilege to play with him
    I didn't know he could write so well for orchestra, nice playing, too!

User Info Menu

I've had this for about 4 months now and have been too busy playing it to put a post here!

It's a Maton Starline Custom Acoustic from 1979. It's all carved, X braced, I kind of like a Johnny Smith.
    Maton are probably Australia's biggest guitar maker - they made some fine archtops but sadly today they only make flat top acoustics.

My understanding is this is an extremely rare instrument. Maton made some acoustic Starlines back in the 50s and 60s with a different body shape- but it seems possible this could be the only one in this body style. It was a one-off custom order.

It was originally owned by the Australian jazz guitarist George Golla - he is worth checking out if you're not familiar with him. A really great player.

N.B the pickup is not original - this guitar is an acoustic. It had no pickup originally. The pickup is a Vintage Vibe floating CC style pickup with adjustable poles.

Something different - Maton Starline ex. George Golla-george-golla-jpg
    Just magnificent! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

^^ killer burst, beyond beautiful.

Here's a clip of the guitar in action. It still had a Benedetto S6 pickup on it. It sounded okay but the CC style pickup is much better. I'm sitting in with a great guitarist, James Sherlock - he's worth checking out too.