1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Hi all. I'm Frank. I'm new here. I'm succumbing to GAS and considering an archtop from yunzhi, which many of you have experience with. I've tried to take in all info available here but have a question about fret edge treatment. I am partial to Ibanez Artstar fret edge treatment and wonder if there is any way to have yunzhi duplicate it. Any suggestions would be helpful.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Tafari
    Hi all. I'm Frank. I'm new here. I'm succumbing to GAS and considering an archtop from yunzhi, which many of you have experience with. I've tried to take in all info available here but have a question about fret edge treatment. I am partial to Ibanez Artstar fret edge treatment and wonder if there is any way to have yunzhi duplicate it. Any suggestions would be helpful.
    There are quite a few threads on this site concerning Yunzi that would be well worth your time. Plus posting this should bring out proud Yunzi owners and their stories.

  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Tafari
    Hi all. I'm Frank. I'm new here. I'm succumbing to GAS and considering an archtop from yunzhi, which many of you have experience with. I've tried to take in all info available here but have a question about fret edge treatment. I am partial to Ibanez Artstar fret edge treatment and wonder if there is any way to have yunzhi duplicate it. Any suggestions would be helpful.
    Could you explain a little of what you mean by Ibanez Artstar fret edge treatment?
    Different factories have ways of doing things, Yunzhi has ways of doing things. What is it you're looking for? That'll make it easier to assess whether they could incorporate that feature.

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Considering Yunzhi Archtop-feat_1051-jpg
    Considering Yunzhi Archtop-feat_1022-jpg
    Smoothly rounded, part-spherical fret ends

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by thelostboss

    Smoothly rounded, part-spherical fret ends
    Ah. Sure they will. When they build it, ask their rep, Lora, to ask if their luthiers could use medium fretwire, kept high with the fret wires rounded off. Send them a picture and they'll do that.

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Yunzhi may attempt anything you ask them. Whether that's a good idea or not is another matter. If it's not part of their regular set of features, it's probably better to avoid it.
    Last edited by Spook410; 05-12-2021 at 02:12 PM.

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    Yunzhi may attempt anything you ask them. Whether that's a good idea is another matter. If it's not part of their regular set of features, it's probably better to avoid it.
    That being said, agreed with and acknowledged, rounding fret corners is not really a hard thing to do. They have some really talented high echelon luthiers working there and fret ends are below basic lutherie 101. If that's the only stipulation for a make or break deal, you're an easy customer.
    Why are you unhappy with your Ibanez?

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    That being said, agreed with and acknowledged, rounding fret corners is not really a hard thing to do. They have some really talented high echelon luthiers working there and fret ends are below basic lutherie 101. If that's the only stipulation for a make or break deal, you're an easy customer.
    Why are you unhappy with your Ibanez?
    You're right of course. But not sure how the 'like an Ibanez Artstar' would play out. Smooth and finished doesn't necessarily mean spherical. Just rounded off. I think the OP just wants normally finished fret ends but you have to be careful how you ask.

    Fret work on mine was inconsistent though it has been a long time since I ordered one. And, humidity being what it is to guitars, it hasn't been a bad thing to learn to work on my own.

    If buying a Yunzhi I suggest putting money in the budget to take it to a tech for frets (level, polish), electronics, finish (nitro) polish, and set up. Again, it's been a long time so I don't have recent experience which would likely be more valuable.

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Can't speak from experience myself, but many criticisms I have seen on the work of yunzhi or Mr Wu seems to focus on hardware (including frets) and electronics, whilst waxing lyrical about the woodworking.....