The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 30

User Info Menu

Just testing the sound from two guitars on the same 30 seconds of music to make a decision which one to actual use on a finished recording. I'd really appreciate some feedback. The level is probably on the low side but should be the same for both.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I like the first. The second sounds like it’s clipping more.

User Info Menu

Beautiful playing!

My thoughts:
    A has a big resonant hump around 200hz, so no. Kill that and it might be really good.

B is nice but too much upper-mids/highs poking out making it out of balance for a solo recording. Might cut just right if used in a mix.

both beautiful but maybe with some flaws. Listed to this on my phone with buds, not in the studio.

User Info Menu

Through the rich, resonant 1.5" woofers on my computer monitor, I'll take B

But the real question is what else will be happening on the session. Solo guitar? Drummerless trio? Organ band? Big band? Are you out front or is it someone else's date?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    Through the rich, resonant 1.5" woofers on my computer monitor, I'll take B

But the real question is what else will be happening on the session. Solo guitar? Drummerless trio? Organ band? Big band? Are you out front or is it someone else's date?
    Solo guitar. I do not play well with others.

User Info Menu

Jim,

For solo guitar, I think I prefer A. B has some cutting power that would work well in a mix with other instruments.

User Info Menu

Under the cans and in the air, A has a nice balance. B favours a high end that, though it comes through with clarity, the transients really pop out and it's distracting to my ear, almost obscuring the natural sound of the guitar's envelope.
    Good luck with the project!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    Under the cans and in the air, A has a nice balance. B favours a high end that, though it comes through with clarity, the transients really pop out and it's distracting to my ear, almost obscuring the natural sound of the guitar's envelope.
    Good luck with the project!
    Thanks. It's actually more than just a project. There's a bigger question in play as well. A is my number one guitar and has been for almost 10 years now. I wander from it periodically more out of unrelated boredom than anything else and as I work through this project I keep going back to it. That has me wondering why I have all these other guitars tying up money that I could use for other things. Would life be simpler if I just said, screw it, get down to two guitars: #1 plus a travel guitar of some sort?

User Info Menu

They both sound great, bur I prefer B - more clarity and snap (almost "Fender-y"); A has something muffled going on, not bad by itself, but noticeable in direct comparison.

User Info Menu

I like A. It just flows a little more. But they are both good.

User Info Menu

They both sound fine to me, but I thought A sounded a little more "nasal" than B.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Thanks. It's actually more than just a project. There's a bigger question in play as well. A is my number one guitar and has been for almost 10 years now. I wander from it periodically more out of unrelated boredom than anything else and as I work through this project I keep going back to it. That has me wondering why I have all these other guitars tying up money that I could use for other things. Would life be simpler if I just said, screw it, get down to two guitars: #1 plus a travel guitar of some sort?
    Crossroads. I'm just curious to know if decisions to commit to one particular guitar are evolutionary for you. In other words, Jim, does your notion to possibly commit to a particular guitar have some corresponding realization about you, your playing or your relationship to the music vs your relationship with your instruments. Have you found something in your playing that makes the charm of different guitars less relevant?
    I know for me, the more I have opened up aspects of the music, the more of a distraction it is to think about the guitar(s) I play on, if you get what I'm saying. I made the guitar I need, I play the music I search for.

User Info Menu

A sounds a little thicker, darker than B. Maybe you can use both guitars

User Info Menu

I liked B, but if you could tamp down some of that lower midrange I might prefer A.

That said, they're both beautiful.

User Info Menu

They both sound great, I agree that it might be a good idea to dial back some low mids on the first one if you use it.

B sounds more contemporary, if that matters? A bit more highs and pop to the sound.

Both great, two different flavors. My first impression was I like the "pop" better, so I will go with B.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    Crossroads. I'm just curious to know if decisions to commit to one particular guitar are evolutionary for you. In other words, Jim, does your notion to possibly commit to a particular guitar have some corresponding realization about you, your playing or your relationship to the music vs your relationship with your instruments. Have you found something in your playing that makes the charm of different guitars less relevant?
    I know for me, the more I have opened up aspects of the music, the more of a distraction it is to think about the guitar(s) I play on, if you get what I'm saying. I made the guitar I need, I play the music I search for.
    I'm never quite sure of the answer to this question. I have almost always been a serial monogamist with guitars. I don't move among them for different purposes. I just play one for a stretch of time and then switch to another for a stretch of time. Every once in a while a guitar will pass through that entertains me very briefly and moves on but even the ones that move me for a while lose their charm after a while or someone offers me some money that for the moment looks like it's worth more to me than a guitar. The only exception has been the blue guitar that I used in sample A. It gets replaced for a while but I never let it go because somehow I know I'll eventually go back to it.

And as for the lower mid-range hump, that's much more about me than the guitar. It comes mostly from the down strokes with my thumb and an ear that's over enamored with those frequencies. I'm pretty sure even with my limited engineering skills I can EQ those out.
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 05-05-2021 at 10:19 PM.

User Info Menu

Jim: A is my preference.
    But it is because i like set humbuckers with tune o matic bridges L-5 Wesmo style of sound. And if it is via a polytone even better.
    That being said the B sound it seems to me like the bridge is more woody and the attack is sharper. I am into fatter sounds like the one said above.
    Also consider that there is a low mid bump that is quite too much.
    Thats all i can say.
    Kind regards
    Gustavo

I like A better. I don't know if this makes sense but A has me listening to the song; B has me listening to the playing. My mind can flow better with A.

User Info Menu

I prefer A. It has a warmer sound than B - sort of reminiscent of the tone I prefer to use, when I play jazz. I don't like muffled sounding guitar, but by the same token, I do prefer darker sounding guitar tones.

User Info Menu

I side with the A team, though the decision was a tough call. Both sounded good.

User Info Menu

I prefer B. I find the tone fuller (I'm using good quality headphones).
    Nice playing!

User Info Menu

It be B for me. More articulate.

User Info Menu

Fwiw, I tried recording the whole piece today using B (which is my Ozkarpat, btw) but with the tone rolled back just a tiny amount to round off the high end a bit. I thought it sounded pretty good. Not quite as warm as A (my blue Gosling) but with a much more manageable low end. I'll check tomorrow to see if I stil like it.

User Info Menu

Greatly prefer A through headphones (Sony MDR 7506's)

B was almost shrill at the same volume.

User Info Menu

I'm preferring A, and you probably should decide which guitar to make your main one and get rid of the other. It's hard, but really helps to focus on making sure you have a sonic signature. It's why I went to the Godin Multiac 7 some years ago: I wanted to sound like myself. I recently bought a Gretsch Streamliner Jr. for the same reason: when I'm playing in a group and need an "electric" sound, I want more clarity and versatility than a standard humbucker setup will afford me. Plus the Bigsby is a new exploration that I'm enjoying.