The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

I've had a set of TI Benson 12s on for about a year. I like the sound – compact, balanced and thuddy. Only problem is that I can't get any traction with my pick. So anything uptempo is a little frustrating for me. I'd like to stay with TI and wonder what would be a good choice in a roundwound string. Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by buduranus2
    (Couldn't figure out what forum to post this in. Sorry if I'm in the wrong place.) I've had a set of TI Benson 12s on for about a year. I like the sound – compact, balanced and thuddy. Only problem is that I can't get any traction with my pick. So anything uptempo is a little frustrating for me. I'd like to stay with TI and wonder what would be a good choice in a roundwound string. Thanks!
    The Benson strings are great but expensive.
    Stringjoy Signatures might be a good alternative or D’Addario ( I think they call theirs Nickel Wound)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    The Benson strings are great but expensive.
    Stringjoy Signatures might be a good alternative or D’Addario ( I think they call theirs Nickel Wound)

Well, the Bensons are expensive but well worth it IMHO. I've used D'Addarios on my solid bodies for years. I think they'd be a little bright on a jazz box though. Went on the Stringjoy site. The description for the Signatures left me scratching my head: "They’re equally great for lending extra power to metal and giving a fuller sound to jazz—and it says something to have strings that can work equally well for those two worlds." Maybe so but seems mildly implausible. Appreciate you!

User Info Menu

Well, the Bensons are expensive but well worth it IMHO. I've used D'Addarios on my solid bodies for years. I think they'd be a little bright on a jazz box though. Went on the Stringjoy site. The description for the Signatures left me scratching my head: "They’re equally great for lending extra power to metal and giving a fuller sound to jazz—and it says something to have strings that can work equally well for those two worlds." Maybe so but seems mildly implausible. Appreciate you!
    If you would like to hear the Stringjoys on a Jazz guitar, I can direct you to one of my Facebook streams where I am playing them.

If you would like to hear the Stringjoys on a Jazz guitar, I can direct you to one of my Facebook streams where I am playing them.

Sure, that'd be great.

User Info Menu

The simple answer is yes: if you like the Bensons, stay with Thomastik. Other brands generally have more tension in the wound strings (not a bad thing in my personal case) and the Bebops tend to be mellower than other roundwounds.

Edit - be warned that the TI Bebops 12s come with a plain 3rd, so either go up to the 13s or buy a single wound string to replace the plain one, if they're available.

User Info Menu

Sure, that'd be great.
    Live Jazz Brunch presented by... - Anthony Abbatangeli

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    The simple answer is yes: if you like the Bensons, stay with Thomastik. Other brands generally have more tension in the wound strings (not a bad thing in my personal case) and the Bebops tend to be mellower than other roundwounds.

Edit - be warned that the TI Bebops 12s come with a plain 3rd, so either go up to the 13s or buy a single wound string to replace the plain one, if they're available.
    Hoo boy, a real dilemma. I wanted to stick with 12s because I can't manage the tension on 13s. But the unwound G has me a little hesitant. Intonation issues for one. And if I replace it with another brand I'm not sure the tone and response will match.

Thanks Anthony. They seem a little bright to me. Of course maybe they wear in over time. May well consider them given the relatively low cost. What's life if you don't take a chance?

User Info Menu

Hoo boy, a real dilemma. I wanted to stick with 12s because I can't manage the tension on 13s. But the unwound G has me a little hesitant. Intonation issues for one. And if I replace it with another brand I'm not sure the tone and response will match.

Thanks Anthony. They seem a little bright to me. Of course maybe they wear in over time. May well consider them given the relatively low cost. What's life if you don't take a chance?
    Are you interested in Flatwounds at all ?

User Info Menu

Maybe buy a couple of sets and see which ones work for you.

My go-to brands are D’ADDARIO, Stringjoy, Benedetto, Thomastik, and La Bella.

Are you interested in Flatwounds at all ?

No, not at all.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=buduranus2;1119306]Hoo boy, a real dilemma. I wanted to stick with 12s because I can't manage the tension on 13s. But the unwound G has me a little hesitant. Intonation issues for one. And if I replace it with another brand I'm not sure the tone and response will match.

You can always buy single wound G Thomastik strings. That's what I've done in the past when I was using BeBops. Lately I've been using Bensons. But I might go back to the BeBops and pick up some more wound Thomastik G strings.

User Info Menu

If you can order single TI strings, that would be the way to go. But here's a thing: I believe someone here in the past recommended a flatwound G to replace the plain string in the Bebop 12s....

User Info Menu

FWIW, the tension on TI Bebop .13 sets isn't very much. To me, they feel less or comparable to D'Addario .12 sets. (All of the TI sets feel lower tension, to me.)

The TI Bebop set sounds great and feels great against the pick, too. I use them on my carved body archtop electrics.

User Info Menu

I use the bebop 11s, with wound G strings purchased as single strings, from juststrings.com.

Going down from the Benson 12s is easier on the fingers and picking hand required force, but they don’t sound quite as rich. Still, it’s all good.

if I played a shorter scale guitar I would likely stick with the Benson 12s.

User Info Menu

Yea... I use TI's Bebop 13's and change the 3rd, 21 to a 22. It also makes a difference what pickups your using... I've always used Bartolini pickups. I tend to need a bright sound.... play too many notes etc... I also change my strings at least every couple weeks... (not the last year, obviously) Most tend to like my sound.

User Info Menu

You do know that the benson 12s come in round wound also right?

Maybe buy a couple of sets and see which ones work for you.

My go-to brands are D’ADDARIO, Stringjoy, Benedetto, Thomastik, and La Bella.

I hate changing strings if I don't have to, especially on my jazz box. I had my repairman install the Bensons, which was a good call because the cloth wrapping on the ball end didn't fit through the tailpiece. He's 50 miles away too.

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    FWIW, the tension on TI Bebop .13 sets isn't very much. To me, they feel less or comparable to D'Addario .12 sets. (All of the TI sets feel lower tension, to me.)

The TI Bebop set sounds great and feels great against the pick, too. I use them on my carved body archtop electrics.
    Yeah, I may wind up going with the Bebops and swapping in a TI wound G. BTW I had D'Addario Chromes on and they were very tight and kinda nasal to my way of hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    You do know that the benson 12s come in round wound also right?
    Did not. Thanks for that. I don't mind the $$$. My flatwound Bensons settled in after about a month or so and have been very stable since then. So maybe the same for the Benson roundwounds?

User Info Menu

By settled in ... do you mean, the tuning, or going out of tune thing. Or are you talking about a sound thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    By settled in ... do you mean, the tuning, or going out of tune thing. Or are you talking about a sound thing.
    The sound. For the first month the G was a little nasal sounding. All good now.

User Info Menu

I've been using T-I .012" round Bensons on all my archtops for many years. I like the sound and feel of them. They hold up very well, which is good because I change strings very rarely.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Yea... I use TI's Bebop 13's and change the 3rd, 21 to a 22. It also makes a difference what pickups your using... I've always used Bartolini pickups. I tend to need a bright sound.... play too many notes etc... I also change my strings at least every couple weeks... (not the last year, obviously) Most tend to like my sound.

Reg, the only thing better than your playing in that video is your hair! You got it all Reg!
    Great stuff.
    Joe D
    Last edited by Max405; 05-05-2021 at 08:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Elixir Nanoweb