The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

As some of you know, I'm having a guitar made for me by the great Stephen Holst. He suggested either a Kent Armstrong or a Bare Knuckles PAF pickup for it. I avoided posting here due to the jazz nature of the forum, and I think I've made my choice, but if it were you, which one would you pick, and why?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hey Fred,
    Steve suggested Bare Knuckle for my recent guitar, and I love it! I even ordered a set of BK for another guitar, I liked them so much!

Marc

User Info Menu

You ask 10 guitarists for their favorite pickup and you'll get 11 different answers - same story with speakers, strings, picks, cables, etc ...
    this (and many other) forum is chock full of threads that go on and on over these themes, never coming to a conclusion. Every pickup maker has his/her own recipe and opinion re the optimum "PAF" or whatever other type design. Why would a luthier (making acoustic + electrified acoustic guitars) be so much more knowledgeable in this particular field of (electric)guitar-expertise ? Do you know how HE picks his guitars, with what type/make amp he tests his instruments, what his preference in guitar-tone is compared to yours ? I'm playing devil's advocate here, not acting like a condecending know-it-all, ok ?!
    In your case I'd just go with his suggestion and play the new guitar for AT LEAST 6 months , try out different strings, picks and cables (and a different pot/cap can also alter the tone considerably) before going down the rabbit hole of a pickup-change ... in any case the differences will be not so great and a new pup will in all probability not result in a drastically different sound from your guitar.

User Info Menu

Kent Armstrong can be confusing as they have made in Korea pickups and then the handwound pickups he makes himself. The Korean ones were almost twice as expensive before shipping and taxes to buy in Korea as they are in the US. Anyhow, I think the Korean ones are decent. But I'd assume a boutique builder is suggesting his handwounds.

BK makes good pickups but I've never tried his PAFs.

User Info Menu

First you must decide what kind of sound you are looking for. Are you looking for a smoky old-time jazz tone or a more contemporary, brighter, articulate tone? This is the discussion you should have with the builder. But I have sometimes found that luthiers are not always the most knowledgeable about the electronics.

Kent Armstrong pickups are often designed for the builder, I have one on my Borys and it is the latter type: bright, articulate, maybe not so warm. A good live gig sound if you will.

On the Borys I can turn the tone down hallway and warm it up, but I am often wondering if the '60's Gibson pickup I have lying around here would give me a fatter warmer tone.

Bare Knuckles I am not familiar with, but if it is a more historical PAF style it is likely to be a more traditional, warmer kind of tone.

What size and construction are you having built? This is also a key part of the equation of course. And what are your favorite guitar sounds?