The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 36 of 36

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Francesco Chieffo
    Thanks everyone, I'm checking every alternative. A few days ago I found this:

D'Angelico Guitars Used 2013 "Master Built" Excel | Rudy's | Reverb

Can it be a good solution?
    I believe the Gene Baker built D'As are all solid wood with hand carved top and back.
    They were expensive and well made guitars so I think that price is probably fair.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    It could be a fine guitar but frankly I would never spend the money to get this particular guitar. Not to bash the maker or anything just that in my world it has no resale option that will be good. Far too many options at the price include Campellone. Buying boutique guitars is for someone who wants something in particular and does not care much about what happens down the road. Naturally there are some handmade guitars that are exceptions.
    Why do you think it wouldn't retain his resell value? I saw ads on other shops where it was for sale for double this price.
    Anyway I looked for Campellone's guitars but currently there's only one Standard on Reverb. Are there any places where I can find some alternative?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DRS
    I believe the Gene Baker built D'As are all solid wood with hand carved top and back.
    They were expensive and well made guitars so I think that price is probably fair.
    Do you mean Ginger or Victor ?

User Info Menu

Thanks for mentioning Dupont here!, I didn't know about these... I now have GAS for the SAINT-LOUIS, seems like a ES125 clone, and finally someone who does the Mahogany neck! I have a bit of a neurosis there, lol. Almost all lower priced Archtops (models with non-floater PU, so in the Gibson ES "world" of models) usually come with maple necks.
    Anyone played the SAINT-LOUIS and maybe even compared it to a ES125?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june
    Do you mean Ginger or Victor ?
    Click on the listing. Gene Baker. He's an American guitar builder of some note.

User Info Menu

Authorized D'Angelico replicas have been handmade by several respected luthiers since the 1990's including Gene Baker of California and Victor Baker of New York.

They have also been made by:

Arturo Valdez
    Michael Lewis
    Jim Triggs
    JP Moats
    Rick McCurdy

All of these authorized replicas are American made and hand carved.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Francesco Chieffo
    Thanks everyone, I'm checking every alternative. A few days ago I found this:

D'Angelico Guitars Used 2013 "Master Built" Excel | Rudy's | Reverb

Can it be a good solution?
    Four years ago, I bought a store demo EXL-1 at a very attractive price. Nice electric sound, though big & heavy. Better build quality and acoustic sound than comparable Epiphone's.

Shortly after I bought it, I visited the D'A showroom in NYC and tried one of the master-built guitars. It was clearly a better sounding guitar than all the stock ones I tried- but it was also $18,000, I think. So 5K used is a relative bargain, but the value is probably impaired by the perception that it's a Korean-made knock-off.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JGinNJ
    Four years ago, I bought a store demo EXL-1 at a very attractive price. Nice electric sound, though big & heavy. Better build quality and acoustic sound than comparable Epiphone's.

Shortly after I bought it, I visited the D'A showroom in NYC and tried one of the master-built guitars. It was clearly a better sounding guitar than all the stock ones I tried- but it was also $18,000, I think. So 5K used is a relative bargain, but the value is probably impaired by the perception that it's a Korean-made knock-off.
    I think the value of genuine DA's as well as the hand built replicas have been negatively impacted by the Korean/Indonesian built DA's.

In fact, the Japanese DA's built by Vestax seem to have suffered a similar fate. The Ferolito family has harmed the brand.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    I think the value of genuine DA's as well as the hand built replicas have been negatively impacted by the Korean/Indonesian built DA's.

In fact, the Japanese DA's built by Vestax seem to have suffered a similar fate. The Ferolito family has harmed the brand.
    No doubt true. Though I don't think cultural preservation or the enduring value of a guitar icon in the used market was in the business plan.

The hand built copies are still pretty expensive but if I found one for a significantly depressed price from that original batch certainly would be tempted. A good guitar is a good guitar.

User Info Menu

If I were to consider one it would be the Heritage ghost built New Yorkers. I would like to find one.

I did buy a Vestex NY 20 years ago 18in. It far exceeds even handmade carved top guitars. This has the solid form press shape top even Gibson has done this.

My Vestex is amazing one of the best necks of any guitar I have played. Reminds me of my Campellone neck. It has a strong acoustic sound louder and better than many carved top guitars I have played. It is nothing like I see being made now, far superior.

Does it sound like my 1949 New Yorker?........not a chance.....The 49 has a dearmond 1100 which also means it sounds better amplified.

User Info Menu

My bad. I never heard of Gene Baker but knew Victor Baker did some d'Angelico.
    I stand corrected.