The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have never been a fan of metronomes in general, never used them.

But practicing jazz stuff alone i began to use is on 2 and 4 as a sort of virtual drummer just to realte myself to reality a bit)))
    And I got used to it and even have fun with it and you feel like you move metronome a bit too)

I used a phone app that was more or less ok for me...
    but now I want to get a separate electric metronome.

What is important to me is to have a natural tone... something close to mechanic metronome (or as variant drummer's brush beat)...

The most annoying for me is high pitched electric beep tone...

Any suggestion which metronomes can do the nice tone? I saw lots of Boss metronome reviews but i did not see anywhere the options to change the tone of it.

thank you

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Glad you posted this! Now I know what I'm going to be doing today...

I have an old Sonus G2M that converts an analog guitar signal to MIDI (single notes only, not polyphonic) which I input to an old Roland M-OC1 "Orchestra" Sound Expansion that outputs to my amp. This allows me to play lines on the guitar that come out of the amp sounding like trumpet, flute, violin, etc. I practice with it sometimes because it promotes exploring lines I would not usually consider on the guitar.

The thing is, the Roland also has percussion sounds which I have only played with enough to discover that some of those sounds vary depending on level (soft is a different percussion patch from loud) and pitch (high is a different patch from low), and since then just ignore them.

But this means I can use the electronic metronome I was given a while back (that I have never used) to drive the Sonus. The Sonus uses pitch discrimination to assign the MIDI pitches so when the metronome goes "tip-tip-tip-Tap" it will send two different pitches. The Roland patches will convert that to two sounds like "cymbal-cymbal-cymbal-floor tom".

I can put that into my Vibrato channel and put the guitar through the Normal channel... and if I turn up the reverb, the drum sound will be nice, but if I turn up the vibrato the various drum sounds will randomly vary in volume and sound more natural. At least that's the plan. I have to go get some AAA batteries for the metronome right now!

For your actual question, take a look at this online drum machine.
    drumbit | Online drum machine

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    I have never been a fan of metronomes in general, never used them.

But practicing jazz stuff alone i began to use is on 2 and 4 as a sort of virtual drummer just to realte myself to reality a bit)))
    And I got used to it and even have fun with it and you feel like you move metronome a bit too)

I used a phone app that was more or less ok for me...
    but now I want to get a separate electric metronome.

What is important to me is to have a natural tone... something close to mechanic metronome (or as variant drummer's brush beat)...

The most annoying for me is high pitched electric beep tone...

Any suggestion which metronomes can do the nice tone? I saw lots of Boss metronome reviews but i did not see anywhere the options to change the tone of it.

thank you
    I use the Boss Doctor Beat 90 (DB-90). It can get a nice deep tone for the beat that sounds something like a mellow snare drum.
    I can't stand that high pitched electric beep tone and the click track sound.
    The DB-90 has a lot of different features, like 60 different beats (Bossa Nova, Mambo etc..) you can set it to any time signature, a variable A-440 tuning pitch, it can produce eighth notes, 16th notes, triplets, accents on any beat, rhythm tests with voices that tell you how well you did.
    I even put it through a PA once to use it as a drummer for one gig.
    A great drummer I play with uses it with all his students, and to set tempos on gigs.
    What more could you want?

TTe app I use actually is great.
    I like the sounds .. it has classic mechanic tick and something like a brush snare drum ...
    and tapping option... and some other things.

But I often need a phone simultaneously ...

Boss 90 is great ... seems like little drum machine but a but too
    pricey for my purpose maybe))
    Attached Images Attached Images Electric metronome idea?-screenshot_20210504-010843_metronome-jpg 

User Info Menu

I just found Soundbrenner

It is a good metronome app for iphone

User Info Menu

I love Tempo Advance metronome.

I also more often use a notation program like guitar pro and program a drum track. Can manipulate tone, reverb, which drum/instrument sound, etc.