The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

What are the differences between these instruments: classical and flamenco guitar?
    is the flamenco guitar easier to play?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Flamenco guitars are different in construction. Apart from the wood selection (and probably the bracing, about which I don't know), the action is much lower, and so is the brigde height. IMHO that makes them easier to play. They are also much lighter, so the tone tends to jump at you. On my flamenca, slides and hammer-ons are much easier. Also it has significantly less fretboard noise. In fact that was a decisive fact for purchase.

Classical guitars may sound "deeper" due to their somewhat heavier construction. That may make them more suitable for the classical repertoire. I play everything on my Flamenca, though; my Classical is up for sale. But tehn, I'm not really a classical player.

Hope that helps!

User Info Menu

Yes, flamenco guitars have much lower action as optional setup, some players even set them up with a bit of buzzing (which would be horrible for a classical).

The sound is also different, much less bass than a classical would have, smaller bodies usually. Built to be loud and really project with people dancing, singing, clapping, etc..

Another big difference is the response of the guitar. Flamenco ones are built and braced to handle louder playing than classical, so you can really bang on them in ways that a classical couldn't handle, or wouldn't be in it's optional dynamic range.

In modern playing, hybrids are very popular, meaning flamenco guitars with a darker sound, that are basically in between a true flamenco and a classical.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

The bridge in flamenco guitars has 12 holes/sometimes/ for attaching strings.
    I don't know if it affects the comfort of playing ...?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    The bridge in flamenco guitars has 12 holes/sometimes/ for attaching strings.
    I don't know if it affects the comfort of playing ...?
    Some classicals have this also. It’s not exclusive to flamenco guitars. Here’s a picture of a bridge similar to a classical that is being built for me:

Classical guitar and flamenco guitar-c8b8ce29-afdc-4c24-8e86-64d51fe22065-jpeg

User Info Menu

The 12-hole design helps in 2 ways : the break-angle over the bridge insert is more severe, resulting in an increased downward pressure which in turn boosts the higher frequencies and makes for a somewhat quicker attack. In second stance the string is anchored more securely and less likely to slip. It also gives a cleaner look IMHO.

User Info Menu

I've found that, generally, flamenco guitars are better for jazz than classical. Flamencos are also easier to amplify and less susceptible to feedback, as they are not very mid-rangy. I have 2 very good Lester devote concert flamencos: a blanca (spruce top, cypress back and side, wooden tuning pegs) that is extraordinarily loud, very light and very easy to play, and a negra with rosewood back and sides and machine tuners, also a spruce top. I amplify these for group work with the Kremona pickup, basically a popsicle stick that slides under the t=strings atop the bridge, necessitating no drilling or altering of the instruments at all.

I also have an Aparicio flamenco blanca that I converted to a 7-string, really great Bossa-nova guitar with an RMCpickup system, awesome lap orchestra.

User Info Menu

My Jose Gonzalez Lopez flamenca negra. Spectacular guitar! I just recently realized it has a 12 hole bridge. It’s about time for a string change. I’ll have to try the 12 hole method for the first time.

Classical guitar and flamenco guitar-6e927bc4-a38c-4f59-a605-7152662cd0d4-jpgClassical guitar and flamenco guitar-80a42f6c-f476-4a1f-baa6-595bbaeaa852-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M.
    Some classicals have this also. It’s not exclusive to flamenco guitars. Here’s a picture of a bridge similar to a classical that is being built for me:

Classical guitar and flamenco guitar-c8b8ce29-afdc-4c24-8e86-64d51fe22065-jpeg
    Yep, mine is exactly like that. I’ve a passion for classicals too!

User Info Menu

I found that terms of playing the music, an upper and lower golpeador are needed. Otherwise, the front surface of a fine classical can get pretty beat up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by icr
    I found that terms of playing the music, an upper and lower golpeador are needed. Otherwise, the front surface of a fine classical can get pretty beat up.
    Yes, that’s a must for flamenco.

User Info Menu

I'd also add that Flamenco guitars often have longer scale length of up to 660mm as opposed to 650mm on a Classical. This could be to increase string tension for the more agressive percussive playing style but i'm not totally sure. Flamenco Guitarist accompanying singers and dancers also regularly capo on the 2nd or third fret often with a beautiful ornate capo or "Cejilla".

I have a 2006 Juan Luis Cayuela Flamenco guitar from Seville with cedar top and cypress sides - i adore it - though I cannot do it any justice with my flamenco abilities but it is a joy to play and would suit many styles of music.