The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

I have long lusted for those two RIC archtops. Gorgeous.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    I have long lusted for those two RIC archtops. Gorgeous.
    A few builders have done copies/repros.
    -Rickenbacker did a 760J "Jazzbo" prototype for NAMM'04;
    -Ed Rees built a 360 copy/homage;
    -Paul Wilczynski (Studio California) did an authorized copy;
    -maybe one or two more out there.

They all have some similarities, but are wrong in various key ways. Below are three of the copy guitars.

The Ric 360 is clearly Roger Rossmeisl's version of the Roger Super, originally designed by Wenzel. Roger evolved the design in the Berlin shop, after the Markneukirchen shop was seized and his father imprisoned, and further evolved it while working at Rickenbacker.

Below the Ric-style archtops are three early Roger Supers with cutaways. L-R:
    -built under Wenzel's supervision at the Roger shop in Markneukirchen
    -built under Roger's supervision at the Roger shop in Berlin;
    -built by Klaus Andrees (who worked at the Berlin Roger workshop briefly) using a Berlin-built Roger body and neck.
    Attached Images Attached Images Rickenbacker guitars?-copies-jpg Rickenbacker guitars?-img_1183-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 05-05-2021 at 03:28 PM.

To me Ric is a hangar queen type brand except for some of the basses.Top studio and jazz pros never used them much,except for British invasion type acts.

User Info Menu

I've always wanted the little solid body that Toots Theilmans played with George Shearing, that looks like a cool guitar.

I knew one guy who had the Shearing gig for a while and he mainly liked Gibson archtops. One thing that surprised me was that he told me George was really proud of being able to live on Nob Hill in the SF Bay area. Sort of like watching Stevie Wonder drive his new Rolls Royce in an empty parking lot ! A group I was in opened for Jose Feliciano at the Exit Inn in Nashville and I found out Jose was a happy,fun person to be with and a excellent singer and guitarist. When I was a teenager I thought Rics were desirable but an older wiser guitarist steered me into a 1959 Gibson 355 for 325$. It was my all time favorite guitar. But if others really like something else I say to each his own.

Considering what Germany did to England in WW2 it struck me as odd that all four Beatles played German brand named instruments,even Ringo! Maybe when The Ruttles played " Goose-Steppin Mama" they figured that out. I believe George Harrison helped produce The Ruttles! Whats in a name I guess?

The Rutles Were More Famous Than Buddah!

User Info Menu

I have played about 3 or 4, six string rics. Only one made me want to buy it. I think it was a 1974. I am not typically excited about old guitars (except for the history), some play great, some not so much, some sound great, others not so much. However the old RIC was very different then the new ones I played. I almost bought the old one but it was well played and cost a lot. I still think about that guitar and wish I would of spent the money. It sounded fantastic and even though it felt like a RIC with the neck thing happening, it played well ... the sounds I pulled out of it were really cool. I do not remember if it was able to do jazz at all... maybe not.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steve burchfield
    Considering what Germany did to England in WW2 it struck me as odd that all four Beatles played German brand named instruments,even Ringo! Maybe when The Ruttles played " Goose-Steppin Mama" they figured that out. I believe George Harrison helped produce The Ruttles! Whats in a name I guess?
    Perhaps their time in Hamburg influenced their instrumental choices.

User Info Menu

Now, they were into Americana and smart enough to go for that historic USA brand with a modern shape to go with the mop tops.

I have a ancient pedal steel, love the horseshoe magnet, great tone.

Should we mention that great American inventer Doc Kaufman?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steve burchfield
    Huh? Those are American companies.
    Would it also be odd that they played Gretsch, or Martin, or Les Polfuss? How about Hofner or Framus? Dang, this whole subject gives me a headache. I think I'll go take a couple of Bayer aspirin.

User Info Menu

Rics are often pegged as "jangly one-trick ponies" but that are fantastic instruments, really only limited by the player.