The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Have to say Joe plays so many different brand of guitars. What's one more 1960 Les Paul copy, Even if it's more refined?

User Info Menu

I thought Joe sounded drunk in the video. So, I took it as endorsement of a drunk man.

User Info Menu

"Perfect, out of the box." As were all three of my CU24s. It should be remembered that Jimmy Page's '59 sunburst, heard on so many LZ tracks, was obtained from Joe Walsh, with his own mods. JW knows a thing or two about "Vintage guitars." This new PRS sounds pretty good to me, but what do I know.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    I thought Joe sounded drunk in the video. So, I took it as endorsement of a drunk man.
    I think he always sounds like that now. He's been sober for about 30 years, is supposedly an amazing AA speaker.

User Info Menu

Joe strikes me as one of those players that just kind of goes wherever with his guitars. I wasn't alive for The Eagles in their prime, and my first exposure to Joe was him in a Parker Guitars advertisement in Guitar World in the late 90s. He moved over to Carvin at some point as well.

PRS makes wonderful guitars (I have my JA-15 in my lap right now), but of course Joe is going to say absolutely glowing things about his $8k limited edition PRS.

Honestly, I hope that this just means that PRS will start using stainless frets more in the future, because Paul has been completely against them unless a customer ponies up for a Private Stock.

User Info Menu

A bit removed from guitars, but Joe Walsh (WB6ACU) is a neat down to earth guy. Has been involved in amateur radio since school days, and still takes time to go on the air and chat with whomever about whatever... greatly admired in the ham world for his vocal support of the hobby.
    dave jk
    KC2XU

User Info Menu

I actually came close to pulling the trigger on one of the Joe Walsh Duesenberg's a couple of years ago .. but ended up listening to my GF, who thought I was insane for wanting another guitar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    I actually came close to pulling the trigger on one of the Joe Walsh Duesenberg's a couple of years ago .. but ended up listening to my GF, who thought I was insane for wanting another guitar

Have no idea what it sounds like but that is one striking guitar.

I wonder if its really twice as good as a standard Macarty single cut? I doubt it. I think its overpriced for wealthy collectors to enrich PRS . I think David Grissom is one of his best tone producing players on live gigs on YT. Most likely his models are among the best for Les Paul type tone IMHO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    He always sounds like that. Probably from years of practice with the real drink.

User Info Menu

Joe Walsh
    The problem with new guitars... the way the neck is set in the body is the whole mojo of the guitar and on all new guitars the neck is way to high up, this has been set into the body so the whole neck is lower...
    Calling you out Joe, that's just not true.

I've looked at all my solid body guitars, the neck is set just as far into the body as the PRS Joe Walsh.

1st picture PRS Joe Walsh
    2nd picture my Yamaha Revstar RS620 purchased a few months ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images Joe Walsh's PRS Signature guitar-joe-walsh-prs-jpg Joe Walsh's PRS Signature guitar-revstar-neck-2-2-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Joe Walsh

Calling you out Joe, that's just not true.

I've looked at all my solid body guitars, the neck is set just as far into the body as the PRS Joe Walsh.

1st picture PRS Joe Walsh
    2nd picture my Yamaha Revstar RS620 purchased a few months ago.
    Is it an optical illusion or does the Yamy have gigantic frets?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DRS
    Is it an optical illusion or does the Yamy have gigantic frets?
    They don't seem unusual to me. The Yamaha picture is much more close up... maybe an illusion?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steve burchfield
    I wonder if its really twice as good as a standard Macarty single cut? I doubt it. I think its overpriced for wealthy collectors to enrich PRS . I think David Grissom is one of his best tone producing players on live gigs on YT. Most likely his models are among the best for Les Paul type tone IMHO.
    Agree about David's tone. A bit biased as he lives across the street from me here in Austin.

Dan

User Info Menu

Joe Walsh's PRS is nice looking, but I don't care for his tone in the video. It looks very much like single-cut PRS McCarty models (my favorite PRS style), but with an attractive bound neck. And of course, being a 'signature' model PRS, its far outside of my price point.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Joe Walsh's PRS is nice looking, but I don't care for his tone in the video.
    I was just working up the nerve to say that, wondering why no one mentioned it. I much prefer the tone of many other PRS guitars. Like the Grissom mentioned upthread. Or the glorious Carlos Santana. Or just a stock McCarty or Custom 24.

Maybe Joe is hearing how that tone will fit in a full-band big-stage context? (Something I would know nothing about.)

In this solo context, to my ears, it comes across a bit harsh, grating and scratchy.

Beautiful guitar though, and I'm sure anyone could make it work for themselves.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dcrowe
    Agree about David's tone. A bit biased as he lives across the street from me here in Austin.

Dan
    Big fan of David's playing with Joe Ely. (But I'm not among those who denigrate Jesse Taylor's "Live Shots" era work with Ely.)