The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 117

User Info Menu

Thunk goes back years:

"I played classical guitar as a teenager, but never did get to where I could play a non-thunk barre chord."

Sing Out!.

Volumes 25-26

Disclaimer: there may be many others that haven't been discovered.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thunk characteristics:

—Full tone with a solid bottom, pronounced mid and low treble
    —Fast attack with relatively rapid decay
    —Resonance (i.e., woody) somewhat muted by the low treble

The 175 of course is built for thunk, but one can get it with a lot of guitars like the L5 or GB’s Johnny Smith or Ibanez. And of course, as always, a lot is in the fingers of the players—cf JP’s early Jazzmaster records, early George Benson.

I think that the attack and decay characteristics and somewhat muted treble make playing bebop-like single lines ala Joe Pass in the Joy Spring clip above very natural.

I play around with a lot of different sounds on my guitars between the guitar and the amp. When I get in the thunk zone with the 175, it is such a great sound and even feels special to play. I like to think it encourages me to play better, though I don’t know if that’s true. Sounds right, though.

Dutchbopper Guest
    I am sure Jack Zucker coined it to describe the sound of laminate guitars such as the ES 175. But the word DOES exist as a noun and a verb. From Merriam Webster:

Definition of thunk (Entry 2 of 3)

: a flat hollow sound

thunk
    verb

thunked; thunking; thunks

Definition of thunk (Entry 3 of 3)

intransitive verb
    : to produce a flat hollow sound : make a thunk

Examples of thunk in a Sentence

Noun The book landed on the floor with a thunk.

It seems that everybody interprets the word slightly differently though. Personally, I do not associate it with carved top guitars at all, but I do hear it in recordings of ES guitars (notably Tal Farlow and early Joe Pass) Here's a sample of one of my own guitars that I would describe as thunk.

User Info Menu

My favorite thunk (or atleast what i consider thunk..)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    I am sure Jack Zucker coined it to describe the sound of laminate guitars such as the ES 175. But the word DOES exist as a noun and a verb. From Merriam Webster:

It seems that everybody interprets the word slightly differently though. Personally, I do not associate it with carved top guitars at all, but I do hear it in recordings of ES guitars (notably Tal Farlow and early Joe Pass) Here's a sample of one of my own guitars that I would describe as thunk.

That's the sound I think of! Also, this really sounds like Doug Raney's tone to me. Could be mistaken, but it's not quite as "dull" as some thunk-ish playing, but still in the zone.

User Info Menu

Can anyone share any recorded single ‘thunk’ notes please, with the aim of demonstrating the lack of sustain? Is it about muting or damping the string right after it’s been played, playing staccato, or less about technique and more about having dull strings or a body that somehow has very low resonance? Or maybe some combination of these things? Hopefully that’s a Straightforward question but I’ve yet to see or hear an explanation of the lack of sustain contained within a thunk. Thanks/thunks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by XISTH
    Can anyone share any recorded single ‘thunk’ notes please, with the aim of demonstrating the lack of sustain? Is it about muting or damping the string right after it’s been played, playing staccato, or less about technique and more about having dull strings or a body that somehow has very low resonance? Or maybe some combination of these things? Hopefully that’s a Straightforward question but I’ve yet to see or hear an explanation of the lack of sustain contained within a thunk. Thanks/thunks
    Good example of that is the clip i posted 3 posts above. It always sounded to me like something was muting the strings.. i can get close to that sound if i boost the mids heavily with my empress paraeq somewhere between 500 and 800hz..

What do you call the sound of a Hammond B3 when the percussion setting is turned on? Also certain Marshall amps seem to have a percussive sound to them. Maybe these are borderline thunk?

Whats the word for Hammond Organ percussion sound ? Is it boderline thunk?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    Personally, I do not associate it with carved top guitars at all, but I do hear it in recordings of ES guitars (notably Tal Farlow and early Joe Pass.
    I agree, and think of it as the complete absence of the complex timbres associated with carved spruce top archtops.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    who?
    Are you suggesting that the name did not resonate with you?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steve burchfield
    Whats the word for Hammond Organ percussion sound ? Is it boderline thunk?
    It’s called “percussion” actually...and I think it does demonstrate thunk.

Here’s a good example...intro to Green Eyed Lady:

User Info Menu

Lots of thunk in organ music; some examples:

DO , RE , MI , FA , SO , LA , TI , THUNK photocells smooth switching and cut relay noise in electronic organ Switching transients emanating from ... To cut out the noise , a major maker of electronic organs eliminated its source – relays .

Electromechanical Design - Volume 16 - Page 37, 1972

In addition to a full tonal spectrum , it is possible to hear in the organ tones of Practica Musica the wind or “ chiff " at the start of each note , and , in the case of one of the organs used , there is even a faint “ thunk ” as the key is released.

Academic Computing - Volumes 1-2 - Page 15, 1987

The pistons, which allow the organist to change the combinations of pipes for different hymns or parts of hymns, were expanded from six, which made a distinctive thunk when used to twelve that make no thunk.

The Great Crowd: A Love Story About a Large Urban Parish - Page 556 Michael J. Tan Creti · 2014

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steve burchfield
    What do you call the sound of a Hammond B3 when the percussion setting is turned on? Also certain Marshall amps seem to have a percussive sound to them. Maybe these are borderline thunk?
    In both cases, "glorious!" YMMV.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    this is the definitive thunk clip IMO...

Absolutely. To me, it sounds like the harmonics of a good string bass played on a sped up recording (octave up?). It’s muffled, but woody, like a good friend making a sly comment with his hand over his mouth.

Jack was definitely the first that I can recall.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yebdox
    Absolutely. To me, it sounds like the harmonics of a good string bass played on a sped up recording (octave up?). It’s muffled, but woody, like a good friend making a sly comment with his hand over his mouth.

Jack was definitely the first that I can recall.
    Listening to too much Joe Pass has turned me into an uncurable thunkaholic!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ray175
    Listening to too much Joe Pass has turned me into an uncurable thunkaholic!
    IMO, there is no such thing as listening to too much Joe Pass. There is only not listening to enough Joe Pass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    IMO, there is no such thing as listening to too much Joe Pass. There is only not listening to enough Joe Pass.
    Preach it brother! Do I hear a "Hallelujah!"?

User Info Menu

I think the Joy Spring recording above illustrates one of the qualities that Joe used so effectively on his guitar--control of the sustain. It's not like there's no sustain with the 175, but Joe (like other great players) knows how to manipulate it. He crafts the sound on each and every note. He can cut it off and make it bop or let it ring out and glide into the next note, or just hang there like an exclamation point.

It's all in the fingers, of course, but like a super sharp chisel a 175 is a great tool for a great craftsman.
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 05-12-2021 at 10:13 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Preach it brother! Do I hear a "Hallelujah!"?
    Halleluejah!

User Info Menu

Who coined the term thunk I wonder? I recall surf/offset guys using the term more than a decade ago.

User Info Menu

As I noted above, thunk in relation to guitar was in use in 1976, if not earlier.

User Info Menu

To some extent the question hasn’t been answered. I’m still curious when this began to be an aesthetic characteristic of jazz guitar sounds. Clearly Tal exhibited this sound throughout his career but I don’t know who would count as the earliest examples. Contrary to a previous post by a member, “thunk” has nothing to do with the tone of swing guitar. However you could say Barney Kessel was one of the early thunkers and he had come from swing playing. Was the emergence of thunk merely an artifact of the tools in production in the late 40s-50s (I.e. plywood and flat wounds)?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    To some extent the question hasn’t been answered. I’m still curious when this began to be an aesthetic characteristic of jazz guitar sounds. Clearly Tal exhibited this sound throughout his career but I don’t know who would count as the earliest examples. Contrary to a previous post by a member, “thunk” has nothing to do with the tone of swing guitar. However you could say Barney Kessel was one of the early thunkers and he had come from swing playing. Was the emergence of thunk merely an artifact of the tools in production in the late 40s-50s (I.e. plywood and flat wounds)?
    Well, yes.

But let’s not forget the amps, or the recording technology for that matter.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    Yes I have to think those players that came from swing through bebop were pivotal in "thunk".

Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    Well, yes.

But let’s not forget the amps, or the recording technology for that matter.
    Yep if you listen to CC and other electrified jazz guitar pioneers, its a brighter tone, kind of reminiscent of the banjo to me. It's likely the combination of the right guitars--right amps--right recording equipment--and players who were trying to fit into the bebop style. That's my opinion anyway.