Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 117

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by waltf
    I NEED this

We should do a sleeveless one and send it to Dutchbopper

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well there are some hints on the topic in this Interview with John and Bucky Pizzarelly (after abou 3 min.)
    John and Bucky Pizzarelli: Father-Son Jazz | Fresh Air Archive: Interviews with Terry Gross .
    What ever it is called, Bucky had it (as far as my ears hear)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TomN805
    Well there are some hints on the topic in this Interview with John and Bucky Pizzarelly (after abou 3 min.)
    John and Bucky Pizzarelli: Father-Son Jazz | Fresh Air Archive: Interviews with Terry Gross .
    What ever it is called, Bucky had it (as far as my ears hear)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    We should do a sleeveless one and send it to Dutchbopper
    haha great idea!!

User Info Menu

As a non-native English speaker, I tend to get lost in translation. No problem with Jack Zucker as the phrase-coiner. But some of the commentary doesn't converge on the admittedly elusive subject matter, and some obviously has been made tongue-in-cheek. A surprise or not, rock'n'roll guys also recognize thunk - all of them as a sensation and many as a word. It's what they feel in their bellies when doing what they do first: hitting the E major or drop D power chord bottom strings on high volume and gain. For them, it's not about the guitar but about the amp, cab and all the dope along the signal chain.
    Last edited by Gitterbug; 05-02-2021 at 07:17 AM.

User Info Menu

Easy Melodious thunk. :-)

Melodious Thunk | David Biedenbender

User Info Menu

Everything I have said has been in deadly earnest.

User Info Menu

this is the definitive thunk clip IMO...

User Info Menu

My translation program provided this example of Portuguese to English:

Esse thunk foi feito com uns 45 sons misturados.
    That thunk was about 45 sounds put together.

The search for thunk in bossa nova begins.

User Info Menu

We need a Thunksgiving day!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    As a non-native English speaker, I tend to get lost in translation. No problem with Jack Zucker as the phrase-coiner. But some of the commentary doesn't converge on the admittedly elusive subject matter, and some obviously has been made tongue-in-cheek. A surprise or not, rock'n'roll guys also recognize thunk - all of them as a sensation and many as a word. It's what they feel in their bellies when doing what they do first: hitting the E major or drop D power chord bottom strings on high volume and gain. For them, it's not about the guitar but about the amp, cab and all the dope along the signal chain.
    The problem is that "thunk" is onomatopoeia, not an objective description. It's an attempt to coin a word that evokes a sound that isn't speech. In my case (native English speaker), it took me a while to grok what Jack was talking about because "thunk" evokes a deeper pitched noise to me. But when given the clues of Joe Pass, Tal Farlow, Jim Hall, Herb Ellis, I figured out what's similar about their tones. In my mind, that's more of a "thwap", but I can treat "thunk" as a tritone sub for that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    this is the definitive thunk clip IMO...

IMO, that is as good as jazz guitar tone (and playing) gets.

I believe that was Joe's 1962 ES-175 strung with heavy flats. The Epiphone in the picture is from a much later era. My guess is that the amplifier we hear in this live clip is a pre-blackface Fender or a Gibson or an Ampeg. Does anyone know for sure?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    IMO, that is as good as jazz guitar tone (and playing) gets.

I believe that was Joe's 1962 ES-175 strung with heavy flats. The Epiphone in the picture is from a much later era. My guess is that the amplifier we hear in this live clip is a pre-blackface Fender or a Gibson or an Ampeg. Does anyone know for sure?
    You might have it right, but I thought first ES-175 plus (optimally) worn out flat wound strings thru a Polytone.

There may be several routes to the destination.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    You might have it right, but I thought first ES-175 plus (optimally) worn out flat wound strings thru a Polytone.

There may be several routes to the destination.
    I do not believe Polytone was in existence at the time of this recording.

User Info Menu

I do not believe Polytone was in existence at the time of this recording.
    Of course, You are right! It is recorded 1964 and I found this timing about Polytones from internet:

"In 1968, Gumina founded the Polytone Amplifier Company."

User Info Menu

Here is a current ad from the Bay Area, California Craigslist:

Gibson ES-175 - musical instruments - by owner - sale

Notice that "thunk" is used in the ad. Either the seller is a member here, or Jack Zucker's word creation has crept into the jazz guitar lexicon at large.

The guitar for sale is a 2017 ES-175 figured which were part of the Gibson blowout in 2017. I have a blonde one like the one on offer and can attest that it is a great guitar. IIRC, I paid just under $2300 for it brand new from CME. Looking at the asking (and selling) prices of these guitars recently, my only regret is that I did not buy 20 of them!

User Info Menu

Notice that "thunk" is used in the ad. Either the seller is a member here, or Jack Zucker's word creation has crept into the jazz guitar lexicon at large.

The guitar for sale is a 2017 ES-175 figured which were part of the Gibson blowout in 2017. I have a blonde one like the one on offer and can attest that it is a great guitar. IIRC, I paid just under $2300 for it brand new from CME. Looking at the asking (and selling) prices of these guitars recently, my only regret is that I did not buy 20 of them!
    That is still a good price for that guitar, especially in blonde. Beautiful guitar.

User Info Menu

I like the idea of "thunk" as much as I do the sound itself.

User Info Menu

Oh, no one told you? Cleveland has annexed the Bay area.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Oh, no one told you? Cleveland has annexed the Bay area.
    The Bay Area is so whacked out these days that I might welcome that.

They say California is like a bowl of cereal. Why? Because if you take out the fruits and the nuts, all that is left are the flakes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    That is still a good price for that guitar, especially in blonde. Beautiful guitar.
    It seems to be priced right. And whoever gets it, will most likely be well pleased. I sure won't be selling mine.

User Info Menu

I bought my '04 in '06 for $2,600.00 (list: $4.99.99). That seemed to be the going price at the time. Seems the venerable ES-175 has appreciated over time. I know I appreciate mine! Which, BTW, is ringer for the one in the ad. It's a sweet little thing!

User Info Menu

The Bay Area is so whacked out these days that I might welcome that.

They say California is like a bowl of cereal. Why? Because if you take out the fruits and the nuts, all that is left are the flakes.
    “These days”? You must be a glutton for self-punishment, sacrificing all your freedoms to stick it to the libs in the Bay Area all these years. It’s working—keep at it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    “These days”? You must be a glutton for self-punishment, sacrificing all your freedoms to stick it to the libs in the Bay Area all these years. It’s working—keep at it!
    Great weather, great food and my wife's high paying job keeps me here. When she retires, who knows what we will do. But for now, the benefits outweigh the freedoms lost.

When I moved to San Francisco in 1976, it was the most tolerant city in America (if not the world). Now it has become a very intolerant place. Things change, and not always for the better.

User Info Menu

Great weather, great food and my wife's high paying job keeps me here. When she retires, who knows what we will do. But for now, the benefits outweigh the freedoms lost.

When I moved to San Francisco in 1976, it was the most tolerant city in America (if not the world). Now it has become a very intolerant place. Things change, and not always for the better.
    I was being sarcastic. I guess if that’s what it takes to be in agreement, so be it!