The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 47

User Info Menu

I remember when you could buy the whole l-5CES (used) for that much. (and this is the cheapest one on EBay)

Vintage 70S Gibson L5S Tail Tailpiece Old 70 / Guitar | eBay

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Unfortunately me as well!

User Info Menu

In 1972, I received a price quote for a brand new L5 CES, at that same amount!!!!!!! Maybe it didn't include a case? But I was a little short on that much cash, shy about ordering with a small dealer, and I needed something quicker, so I bought a '71 ES 150 TDC.
    I always wonder how I would have fared had I followed through on that L5 order.

User Info Menu

And that’s an L-5S tailpiece, so it’s made for a thin body guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    And that’s an L-5S tailpiece, so it’s made for a thin body guitar.
    Good catch! No wonder that one was cheaper than the others. It should be noted that all of these L-5 Tailpieces are being sold by sellers in Japan who may be resellers and may not even have the items. And asking prices and getting prices are often two different things.

User Info Menu

World’s gone mad....

User Info Menu

Here is one for sale by a US seller (one of our esteemed forum members I believe) and looks to be in pretty good shape: Genuine Gibson L-5 Tailpiece L-5CES L5~~Nice One! | eBay

Still a bit rich for my blood....

User Info Menu

Rices on those are up there because Gibson does not sell them retail
    i got one from a brother here and it wasn’t cheap but I’m glad I got it

User Info Menu

Gibson keeps their L5 tailpieces in a vault. In 2013 12 L5 tailpieces were stolen.
    HJ called in the FBI for a full forensic investigation. The culprit was never found
    nor the tailpieces.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Gibson keeps their L5 tailpieces in a vault. In 2013 12 L5 tailpieces were stolen.
    HJ called in the FBI for a full forensic investigation. The culprit was never found
    nor the tailpieces.
    Did the culprits get any Super 400 tailpieces? I would surmise that they would be kept in the same vault.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    nor the tailpieces.
    It is my understanding that Gibson keeps these on a tight rein. It is my opinion that that particular design and alloy are a big part of the secret sauce that makes the L-4s and L5s such great-sounding, not to mention great-looking, world-class instruments. The "Flying Lady" on the hood of the family Rolls is just a chunk of metal, too.

User Info Menu

I dont know about "esteemed" from Philly. Lots of shady characters in Philly. I know as I live in Pittsburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Here is one for sale by a US seller (one of our esteemed forum members I believe) and looks to be in pretty good shape: Genuine Gibson L-5 Tailpiece L-5CES L5~~Nice One! | eBay

Still a bit rich for my blood....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    I dont know about "esteemed" from Philly. Lots of shady characters in Philly. I know as I live in Pittsburgh.
    I hear you. I am originally from Philly myself (my dad moved us to NYC when I was 10) and some might even find me shady in one way or another. But in my book, Wintermoon is "esteemed".

User Info Menu

Wintermoon, a power seller. Who’d have thought it? Actually where is one going to find an L5 tailpiece with a solid finish for less? We live in the present, and presently the prices for these is through the roof. You guys gotta get current, for it’s no longer 1972.

User Info Menu

Cream City Music had 10 tailpieces minus the medallion for sale a few years ago. It was said that they were Gibson rejects. I thought Bigsby made them for Gibson.

User Info Menu

Yup
    Some folks gotta try to lowball though
    it’s part of the code here

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Wintermoon, a power seller. Who’d have thought it? Actually where is one going to find an L5 tailpiece with a solid finish for less? We live in the present, and presently the prices for these is through the roof. You guys gotta get current, for it’s no longer 1972.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Cream City Music had 10 tailpieces minus the medallion for sale a few years ago. It was said that they were Gibson rejects. I thought Bigsby made them for Gibson.
    That is correct. I have one of those (I paid a little over $200 for it and having two L-5's, I thought it wise to have a spare tailpiece on hand).

The welds on the underside are imperfect, but installed no one could tell. They were made in 1989 when Gibson did not have L-5 engraved on the tailpiece (in those days, they had an Ebony insert that said L-5).

User Info Menu

It really makes you wonder if "authenticity" is so important. I have a relative who runs a machine shop. I should ask him about reproducing these things.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    It really makes you wonder if "authenticity" is so important. I have a relative who runs a machine shop. I should ask him about reproducing these things.
    I'd gladly buy one if you'll actually get this done! I got one of those samick copy tailpieces on my epi Broadway, and I'd love to find another one to put on my eastman.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    You will probably find that the cost of materials plus machining plus plating plus engraving will add up to quite a bit. And Gibson may have a trademark on the design, so be careful about that. Fighting the legal department of a big company can be expensive.

User Info Menu

I think the mass of this tailpiece contributes to the sound of the guitar it was intended to be installed on. I really do.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    I think the mass of this tailpiece contributes to the sound of the guitar it was intended to be installed on. I really do.
    JD
    No question in my mind. It's all apart of an irreducible whole. Part and parcel.

Plus it just looks so good!

User Info Menu

One of the reason D'angelicos sound like they do is partly the tailpiece. The big stairstep has mass and in the right proportion it adds to the sound. Some look at how light an archtop is in determining the sound but that is not the whole reason. It is the same situation as a Gibson Super 400 and the sound they produce. The tailpiece may not make the guitar but is damn sure makes it distinct.

User Info Menu

Thanks Deacon and C74.
    I am quickly becoming convinced that the frequensator TP on my Epi Emperor Regent is the reason the sound seems to prematurely fade. Not so much the recorded sound, but more so the sound I expect hear (and don’t) while I’m playing it. It’s a great guitar don’t get me wrong. But I wish it had a firmer place to mount the strings. I like to hear a guitar “breathe” a little. The L5 tailpiece is like an oxygen tank..
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Thanks Deacon and C74.
    I am quickly becoming convinced that the frequensator TP on my Epi Emperor Regent is the reason the sound seems to prematurely fade. Not so much the recorded sound, but more so the sound I expect hear (and don’t) while I’m playing it. It’s a great guitar don’t get me wrong. But I wish it had a firmer place to mount the strings. I like to hear a guitar “breathe” a little. The L5 tailpiece is like an oxygen tank..
    Joe D
    I just had a thought (it can happen). What if you filled the back of the block parts of the Frequensator with something with some mass - say, lead from fishing sinkers or somesuch, just some thing to increase the mass and therefore the inertial resistance to motion. That would effectively damp the TP a bit. You could even - and this might be better - cut some hunks of brass to size and solder them in. additionally, you could fill those long and not-so-long spaces between the rods with nice pieces of hardwood (walnut or cherry or even some nice curly maple) to dampen their tendency to vibrate. You could do the whole project in an afternoon. Then when you get the wood in, you can shape some pickguard material into nice rectangles to mount on the wood after taking them to a cooperative jeweler and have them engrave you name or initials in the plastic like Gibson used to do with their endorsee's guitars (BK, TF, HR, etc). Viola - EER, the Joe DeNisco Special Edition!