The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 169

User Info Menu

I bought a G100-112 mk2 online.
    But I needed to replace two chips and to clean all contacts (pots, jacks, switches).
    I don't know if all it's alright, now. Because, I find the tone stack very strange, the bass are very boomy, too much punch for me when I pick a string.
    On the high canal A with the knob volume pulled, I have the bass on 0, the middle on 12 and the treble on 7.
    And I find the definition is very muddy, and the sound very 80's.
    Last edited by nado64; 12-05-2012 at 11:58 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've been reading several posts and comments saying "avoid the III series" or "stay away of the G100 Series III" but none of them actually provides a technically valid, consistent and coherent evidence on why is that.
    My brother in law has been a Yamaha dealer for over 30 years and I've played several Yamaha amps including Series I, II, III, the "famous" T50 and T100, the great late DG series, etc.
    The G100 Series III in all of its configurations is a terrific amp for what it was conceived to do.
    First, its a clean amp and it can stay like that at very very high volumes. The stock Yamaha speakers were designed for that. They're not going to break easily. Second, it has a lot of usable features like push/pull knobs, parametric EQ, and extremely good FX loop, external speaker and ohm configuration.
    Somebody even complaint about the knobs colour. That is a feature as well. Like a mixer, you have different knob colours for different functions. Same thing here.
    Bottom line, if good clean sounds is what you want, you'll get them with this amp. Not a bedroom amp or small gig amp. The 2x12 is quite heavy but at 4ohm, the bass response is fantastic.

User Info Menu

I have a G-100 and they're great amps, but they're getting old. While I used to play out a lot with mine, it's now too unreliable for gigs. It's now taking up space in a corner of my practice room.

Old amps are tempting because you can get them cheap, but I don't think they're worth the trouble. Pay a few more bucks and get a newer Peavey. More music, less aggravation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    My ebay G50 arrived and it has a hum - even with no guitar and all the dials at zero. The hums too loud for me to use it. There is also visable rust at places on the amp, looks like it's been affected by weather in one way or another. I have to send it back. Dissapointing but that's the risk you take with ebay.
    I have a G-100 and they're great amps, but they're getting a little long in the tooth. Mine has noise issues too and I haven't found anybody who can fix it reliably. Tube amp techs often don't want to work on solid state amps.

I've had a few experience with great old amps that are just too old to be practical. My new rule is: No amps more than 10 years old.

User Info Menu

I bought my G100 in 1980 I think. I just had a tech go over it. He said it was really dirty and the main thing he did was clean it. It's now really quite and sounds like a new amp.

Sure is heavy though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan0996
    I have a G-100 and they're great amps, but they're getting a little long in the tooth. Mine has noise issues too and I haven't found anybody who can fix it reliably. Tube amp techs often don't want to work on solid state amps.

I've had a few experience with great old amps that are just too old to be practical. My new rule is: No amps more than 10 years old.
    Have you tried new electrolytical caps? Putting the reverb tank in a new position?

User Info Menu

I love 15" speakers! I can't remember even seeing one in a Yamaha G series. There are all these different opinions on the different generations of the G series. I'm sure someone will weigh in on that.

User Info Menu

Overall, I really like my Yamaha G100-12 a lot. Super-flexible EQ and a nice full tone. (Never explored the overdrive capabilities.) I believe that ours are from the the second of three generations of these amps, and, from what I've read, they're generally considered to be the best (all three are highly-rated, though). Designed by Paul Rivera for Yamaha.

User Info Menu

I own a G100 115II that a bought 2 years ago in a pawn shop for 150$....+ 40$ for a cleaning by a tech.

Like it a lot...but for gigs, I prefer my AI Clarus....

User Info Menu

I knew that these were designed by Paul Rivera and that Pat Matheny used to use one along with a bunch of others. Peter Bernstein had a G50 at a clinic/master class I saw him at last year and he sounded great. Really hoping I can squeeze some Wes tones out this big 15" speaker. I think I now have more amps than guitars...haha

1 67 Ampeg Reberberocket 1x12
    1 71 Standel Studio 15"
    1 Roland Cube 30
    1 Roland Cube 80XL
    and now the Yamaha G100

Really stoked for this amp. I think I may go pick it up tomorrow.

'Mike

User Info Menu

Just to update. What a WONDERFUL amp. The tone can easily run the gamit from really Wes/Pat Martino/Jim Hall dark and beyond to really bright. The Reverb is good but not as good as my 67 Ampeg Reverberocket 2. Its just does not ever really get that crazy surf over saturated kind of reverb sound or at least at the lower volumes I have been playing it at is doesn't.

Wonderful tone especially if you are into the dark side of the force. Man it was just awesome to dial in a warm dark tone in seconds. This, to my ears, is an amp that wants to live in he dark side and if wanted you can tweek this and that and get it to be bright. With everything set flat its already a dark amp. Heavy but not stupid heavy either. The 15" speaker sounds great. Its a bit bass heavy but with some minor tweaking on the amp thats very easily solved.

If you are looking for a dark amp this is your amp. It sounds as good or better than a polytone and can be had for less money.

I will try to figure out how to post pictures and throw some up.

'Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman301
    Just to update. What a WONDERFUL amp. The tone can easily run the gamit from really Wes/Pat Martino/Jim Hall dark and beyond to really bright. The Reverb is good but not as good as my 67 Ampeg Reverberocket 2. Its just does not ever really get that crazy surf over saturated kind of reverb sound or at least at the lower volumes I have been playing it at is doesn't.
    Congratulations and welcome to our small club! Great amp series; I must put mine through its paces today (been using my Jazzmaster Ultralight mostly lately). That'll be fun!

Gotta say though that I'm not personally so concerned with getting "surf" levels of reverb when I play jazz. Heck, I was there when those original ReverbRockets came out; they're great old amps, too, but it's sure not a fair fight with the Yamaha if you want some surf on top of your Jim Hall! LOL.

Wonderful tone especially if you are into the dark side of the force. Man it was just awesome to dial in a warm dark tone in seconds. This, to my ears, is an amp that wants to live in he dark side and if wanted you can tweek this and that and get it to be bright. With everything set flat its already a dark amp.
    My 1x12 combo is pretty much right there, too, but man, a 15" speaker really does something for the dark side of things, doesn't it? 15s were usually considered bass speakers back in the day of that ReverbRocket 'cuz I remember guys telling me back then to be using a bass amp for jazz with it's huge speaker. Right now, I have that, er, bass covered with my Ibanez Wholetone amp (love it).

Heavy but not stupid heavy either.
    Yer a stronger man than I, and I still envy your casters! Actually, part of the problem is mine has a rather thin, sharpish-edged plastic handle that really cuts into my hand. I'm planning on getting whatever the cushiest one they have in stock retrofitted by my local shop. Hopefully, that should help!

The 15" speaker sounds great. Its a bit bass heavy but with some minor tweaking on the amp thats very easily solved. If you are looking for a dark amp this is your amp. It sounds as good or better than a polytone and can be had for less money.
    Agreed. And that parametric EQ really helps a lot in shaping tonal nuances. And speaking of Polytone (from many reports over the years), I'd bet that your 'new' Yamaha is going to be way more reliable, too, over time.

Best of luck with your amp, and may it bring you many years of enjoyment!

User Info Menu

Its not even a fight between the Reverberocket 2 and the G100. Two different animals all together. I was just pointing out in a "reveiw" like fashion that if you were someone who wanted to get over saturated reverb ala surf style then this amp is not for you.

I like the dark side. Its such a killer amp. One of those under dogs. In fact looking at my amps I guess I like a good underdog. The Reverberocket 2 was no where near as popular as the Fender Deluxe reverb but I think it sounds as good if not better than the mid 60's Fender deluxe amps I have heard. This is not to say the Fenders don't sound great because they do but not twice as good as their lofty prices would suggest. I got the 67 Ampeg in 7 out 10 shape cosmeticaly with a 100% functional amp for less than half of what a deluxe reverb would have cost in similar shape.

This is a great amp. The casters are great and still swivel even! I did not notice the handle being to uncomfortable when I hefted it up yesterday but I quickly put it down because hell its got wheels so why carry when you can roll!

This amp is a gem in every way. Its SUPER clean and shows almost no signs of wear and tear. Not even a hint of a beer glass being set on top. This thing was babied by someone. Over zealous band director or maybe it was someones amp in studio and never saw daylight or live use? At any rate it is super clean. Did I mention dark...so delightfuly dark and warm. My father in law thought it was a tube amp its so warm.

This maybe the very last amp I ever buy. Its really that nice. The rever is decent for what I want and is perfect for any era of jazz from straight ahead, big band, bop and even fushion. I am not a pedal guy but I bet a dollar to your donut it takes pedals like a champ.

All in all for just over $200 I should be arrested for stealing.

'Mike

User Info Menu

How about some pics? Do you know how common the 15" version of the G100 is?

User Info Menu

Gotcha on the reverb, Mike. Just bustin' on ya with the Jim Hall reference.

Speaking of which, I used to LOVE those ReverbRockets back in the day, but hey, I already had my ol' Danelectro DM25 "piggy back" 1x12 combo. (And I still do! How could I ever part with my very first amp, earned entirely with my paper route money?!) Back then, I, too, generally preferred the Ampegs to the Fenders, but I wouldn't have sneezed at either. In fact, my next amp 'upgrade' was then a '68 silverface Twin with two EV upgrade speakers. Long gone, but talk about a HEAVY amp!!!

I totally agree on the 'underdog' status of these Yamaha amps; in a way, they're like some best kept secret weapons of tone. Great, great amps. Not to spread web rumours, but I read more than a couple of guys favorably comparing these to Walter Woods amps a few years back. (I'm sure you must recall Jim Hall using the WW amps a lot, probably back more in the '80s and '90s.) Got a chance to briefly compare my Yamaha with a WW about two years ago, and, while certainly no clone (not intended to be), IMO they were both headed into the same tonal territory, and I was very, very happy. (Except for the weight factor, that is!)

Glad to hear you got a basically mint one. Mine came like that, too, inc new-looking cover and pedal. I dunno... someone must have simply stored it away one day, then decided to sell it years later. Lucky us, huh? And I guess my crime was worse than yours cuz I got mine for only $150! I've since seen a few others in the series selling locally, and they're all priced like that, so if anyone is interested in experimenting on the cheap, these Yamahas are an easy way to start out. I doubt you'd be sorry.
    Last edited by ooglybong; 05-07-2022 at 07:40 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    How about some pics? Do you know how common the 15" version of the G100 is?
    Personally, I've only ever seen the 12" combo around here, maybe about four or five of them over the past five years or so. All priced waaay low. So I'm betting that the 15" is on the more scarce side of things.

User Info Menu

I am not sure how many with the 15" speaker were made. What I can say is that over the past few years I usually see the G50 and G100 with 12" speakers for sales. It has been rare to see the 15" speaker. Truthfuly its rare to find guitar amps with a single 15" speaker.

I will try to get some pictures together tonight or tomorrow and then figure out how to post them here.

'Mike

Edge59, Any chance you could share some of the details on the mods you preformed? I've had tons of experience modding/building/repairing tube amps, i know a little about solid state and would love to learn more!

User Info Menu

Earlier up the page. Yep the DG60-112 is discontinued - but I have a pair - so I can tell you they are exactly the same size, same output, same sort of look, as the NYC Tech 21 Power Engine. I picked up my DS60s for about £80 each when they discontinued them - but the Tech 21 version is a lot more than that. They are pretty much guitar power extension speakers that exactly replicate whatever come out the DI socket of the amp - at 60 watts. A very useful addition to a small jazz amp when doing bigger venues - and you can chain them or rig them up with a stereo output from something like a DG or AG Stomp (also discontinued).

User Info Menu

Resurrecting an old thread...

Years ago I was introduced to these amps by Phil Keaggy, a great rock guitarist, who was playing a G50-112 II.

I remember standing outside Knott's Berry Farm, in L.A., hearing him warm up in one of the outdoor amphitheaters, and wondering what amp he was using, because it was so musical and complimented the sound of his Les Paul so well. Once inside I checked out the amp and was surprised to see it was a Yamaha. And, once home, I checked them out and ended up buying one.

Yamaha has always gone for a sound that enhances the instrument. The G50 used their own JFET transistors, which have a more tube-like sound than standard transistors. I recently had mine in the shop for a check-up and cleaning, prior to selling it, and the tech said he really liked its clean sound, and that it really sounded like a Class-A tube amp.

I've found the schematics for them online too, so if something were to break, a good tech could fix it up in no time:

Yamaha G100 and Yamaha G50 amps-yamaha_g50-112-lll-jpg

Yamaha G100 and Yamaha G50 amps-yamaha_g50-112-jpg

User Info Menu

I think Yamaha amps are hugely underrated, and in Europe , Yamaha don't seem to put much marketing effort into new products. When you think back over time it seems like, hardly does an amp get launched, than its then discontinued and we are back to square one with a few practice amps again. Perhaps in Asia and the home market people like Roland dominate and between Roland and the West's Fender, Peavey, and Marshall brands, perhaps Yamaha feel behind the 8 ball. I completely agree that they always seem to produce a very musical amp.

Perhaps someone who has the inside track on amps at Yamaha can tell us their philosophy regarding selling amps.

User Info Menu

I just picked up one Yamaha G50, almost got another too.

Have been needing a cheap but toneful amp I can loan to my friend/bandleader. (Long story ... he's real broke. I've been loaning him amps for our gigs.) Anyway, kept hearing good things about the G50. Found a MK1 in great condition locally, on the cheaps. It's heavy yes. Really nice sound. Put a Cannabis Rex speaker in there. My buddy is loving this amp!

Then did a trade last week. A nice, very affordable Yamaha guitar (AEX 520), and the guy had 4 solid state amps to choose from. 2 of the G50s, one a MK I another a MK II. And two Gibson Lab L3 amps. It came down to the G50 Mk II and one of the L3s (with an Emi Legend speaker).

The G50 has a very full sound. I do like it. The L3 has a wilder edge somehow. A little less bass. Plus a master volume, which is so useful. Between the (much lighter) weight and the MV, the L3 won. It also didn't hurt that the L3 got along very well with the TIM clean boost pedal ... quite a nice sound together. So the L3 is now my practice amp in another band.

The G50 is in some ways better. It was a tough choice. None of these cool old amps quite eclipse my favorite tube amps. But I like them, like how they sound, and appreciate the utility they provide at very low cost.
    MD

User Info Menu

Hello All. Sorry to bump this thread.
    Have been playing in reggae bands since 1983. Have gone thru many amps and probably just as many guitars. But because 'One MUST have tubes AND a Strat', my main set-up was a 'Twin' and a vintage strat.
    About 7 years ago I sold everything, 'retired' from the band thing and hot married.
    Went to a Reggae festival last year to see one of my fave 'Old School' bands and was flabbergasted that the guitarist used a G100 212ii (I asked him as I'd never seen one before.) His axe was an Ibanez AM200.
    5 days ago I picked up my yammy 212ii and can quite honestly state that it is the BEST amp I've ever had! Now I know I'm going to get slated for that, but that's where I'm at. It's in pristine condition, great looking and, for me, a sound to die for. My current axe is an Ibanez Artcore 103. And though it's beautiful, I will (if wife allows) get a AM200.
    Can anyone tell me how to get a manual for the amp. I have scoured the net but to no avail?
    Many thanks.
    Last edited by Roots13; 04-21-2014 at 02:38 PM. Reason: wrong word

User Info Menu

Hi, Roots13,

I have the G100 1x12 (v.II). GREAT amp. Congrats!

I just Googled a quick check, and you can get the files from here for free. Download BOTH pt.1 and pt. 2 before attempting to open them; you'll then get a .zip file to expand, and ONE of the files in the resulting folder is what you're looking for.

Yamaha G100, G112, G212 Service Manual free download,schematics,datasheets,eeprom bins,pcb,repair info for test equipment and electronics

Yamaha G100, G112, G212 Service Manual free download,schematics,datasheets,eeprom bins,pcb,repair info for test equipment and electronics

Welcome back after your "retirement". Have fun with your new amp! (And, yeah, I'd buy that guitar, too!) ;-)

User Info Menu

Ok, so I've woke this 'sleeper' up. I've messed about with the parametric eq but not really sure what it's supposed to do. I'm only using the clean (A) chanel. Am I missing out if I don't use it?
    Thanx in advance.
    PS sorry if I'm starting to clog up this thread but, to me, it's Christmas (at least it will be if I can get hold of a AM 200!)