The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 70

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Is this more than just a tarted up InterBlock 45?
    I love the Interblock 45 but it does have some quirky features. Like trying to use the Effects Loop Return for an auxiliary input. Still, though I'm thinking of selling it just to thin the herd, I do like this little amp. With my Lunchbox 6.5" speaker, it's a tiny little unit that can go lots of places.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I have the Interblock 45 and haven't noticed any problem with clean headroom. Could you be more specific?
    Not sure if this is what Gitterbug meant but I’d be specifically concerned about playing with drums. This has not been a problem with the BAM200

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Not sure if this is what Gitterbug meant but I’d be specifically concerned about playing with drums. This has not been a problem with the BAM200
    I guess I should try to crank it up and see what happens.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    (...) I find the Interblock short of clean headroom in my test corner. This in particular with 6.5" cabs, with 92 dB sensitivity(...)
    Well... 92 dB is LOW!

If 3 dBs double the volume (I am not sure about how valid that 'law' is) something about 99 or 100 dB should be 4 times louder. And more headroom.

User Info Menu

At 249$ or 300€ after VAT and import taxes I think I’ll buy the UK model with a Marshall sound, a Vox AC30 and an AC30 top boost sounds. That will give me a nice range of amp sounds to go with my TMDR and BAM200. Listening to the demo on the Quilter site I felt the Top Boost had all the clarity of the 1964 Top Boost I had back in 1975, and it would be nice to have the option of that “chime” again.
    The big question will be deciding on a suitable speaker for it.......so many choices and life is short.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    Well... 92 dB is LOW!

If 3 dBs double the volume (I am not sure about how valid that 'law' is) something about 99 or 100 dB should be 4 times louder. And more headroom.
    Low, yes, but a fact of life. All 6.5" speakers are in that ballpark, even lower. Yet, Henriksen Bud and Blu owners praise them and use them even in big bands. Modern Class D amps offer plenty of power in a small package to offset the lower sensitivity. I'm not sure what kind of speaker resides inside a Lunchbox nowadays. The original has a 88dB speaker! To blur the picture even further, the smaller the speaker, the broader its projection. To me, this means that the off-axis SPL declines less steeply than with larger speakers. Perceived loudness in a band setting also depends on how punchy the trebles are. A 96 dB Jensen Blackbird sounds clearly louder than a 98.5 dB Tornado. I invariably play with a brighter setting in a band than alone, just to cope with the drummer. If there's a piano or, worse still, accordion in the band, the airspace tends to get crowded and it takes some leadership to avoid an outright shootout within the rhythm section.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    Well... 92 dB is LOW!

If I am not greatly mistaken, a 3db increase needs twice the power to achieve.

User Info Menu

I can never conceive of "twice as loud". I know the definition follows from physics, but loudness seems more like a psycho-acoustic thing.

User Info Menu

Great features, but 25 watts at 8 ohms doesn't even begin to get close to gigging volumes, unless it's a really quite, drumless gig. So for most players this will be considered a home amp. Especially since nowdays, when considering tiny D class heads you have the choice of many 50-60, or even 100 or more watt ones.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    Low, yes, but a fact of life. All 6.5" speakers are in that ballpark, even lower. Yet, Henriksen Bud and Blu owners praise them and use them even in big bands. Modern Class D amps offer plenty of power in a small package to offset the lower sensitivity. I'm not sure what kind of speaker resides inside a Lunchbox nowadays. The original has a 88dB speaker! To blur the picture even further, the smaller the speaker, the broader its projection. To me, this means that the off-axis SPL declines less steeply than with larger speakers. Perceived loudness in a band setting also depends on how punchy the trebles are. A 96 dB Jensen Blackbird sounds clearly louder than a 98.5 dB Tornado. I invariably play with a brighter setting in a band than alone, just to cope with the drummer. If there's a piano or, worse still, accordion in the band, the airspace tends to get crowded and it takes some leadership to avoid an outright shootout within the rhythm section.
    Ok, my surprise was based on my limited experiences. I have been operating mainly with 12” guitar speakers and their sensitivities are usually nearer to 100 than 90. Thanks for enlightment!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    If I am not greatly mistaken, a 3db increase needs twice the power to achieve.
    I had to study this over again and You are totally right.

And ”the law” also says that ”doubling the feel of loudness needs 10 dB more volume”. Which would mean about 8 times more power.

I use quotation marks because I am not sure about how true is this with real life guitar amps and speakers. As Gitterbug says the eq knobs are often better way to make Yourself heard than the vol knob only.

But I can hear the connection with the headroom and sensitivity of the speaker so I can say ”there is something in these figures”!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    Great features, but 25 watts at 8 ohms doesn't even begin to get close to gigging volumes, unless it's a really quite, drumless gig. So for most players this will be considered a home amp. Especially since nowdays, when considering tiny D class heads you have the choice of many 50-60, or even 100 or more watt ones.
    I don’t think you can evaluate it like that.

I have two micro heads, the 200 watt TC Electronic BAM200 (class d) and the 30-50 H&K Spirit of Vintage. Both recommended by Gitterbug. While I wouldn’t want to play a metal gig with either, for a jazz gig with drums they provide more than enough headroom with the TOOB Metro (good speaker sensitivity?) Both provide more or less the same volume range.

No idea what’s going on there then!

So, I just think wattage is kind of unhelpful here. 25w seems on the low side for solid state, but so much depends on speakers and what type of technology Quilter is using. I’d have to hear it.

Look forward to hearing Gitterbug’s thoughts on the new Quilter. That’ll probably decide it for me.

User Info Menu

Christian, thanks for your confidence, but don't consider me an authority! I'm just a tinkerer who happens to fall in love with micro-amps. In this current spring fever, I should be getting the US and UK SuperBlock versions within weeks. Depending whether Quilter's pipeline selling is already in progress or will start as of official launch on Monday 26th, there may be earlier evaluations available. Quite some interest among the Gretsch tribe, for example.

As for speaker sensitivity, the SICA 6 L 1.5SL on your Metro 6.5BG is actually rated at 91dB. There's a standard way of measuring it on a certain size baffle in an echoless chamber, on 1W output at 1 m distance. While the response curve of this speaker is fairly linear, I haven't seen any data on how it responds to more watts. What matters of course is what kind of SPLs it reaches in various cabs. The acoustic suspension built to the Metro BG actually reduces sensitivity while enhancing the clean bass response. The Metro GP, which has 1/16th of the felt dampening of a BG on the back panel, is louder and brighter. To get an idea, try the BG speaker on the FR housing, which is the same as GP+, only orange rims instead of red. A 4 mm Ikeator (hex key) is all it takes.

Cheers,

Markku

Edit: There are, of course the well-known theoretical formulae establishing how much power must increase for a given increase in SPL: twice the power for + 3dB, four times the power (eg. from 25W to 100W) for a 6 dB increase, which is tangible. This roughly means that for the volume you get from a 25 W, 12" outfit (98 dB sensitivity), you should need 100W for a 6.5" speaker (92 dB sensitivity). In practice, speakers, cabs and amps have their own personality. The more articulate, the better they cut through. Moreover, jazz audiences are mature and don't expect ear-piercing volumes in social situations such as clubs and restaurants. That leaves us with one minor problem: the proverbial loud drummer...
    Last edited by Gitterbug; 04-25-2021 at 03:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Don’t know in which context y’all play but I have a 45 Watts Quilter Micro Block with a 12“ speaker and my band (5 piece brass, drums, bass, no piano at the moment) constantly asks me to turn it down.

(The only amp I could ever turn up in that band is a 5 watt Champ clone.)

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Wow, I think I have to try one of these. Love the 3 era voicings. If it's truly equivalent of 20-25 tube amp watts, then it's enough for me. I can use it for direct stuff, into a cabinet, or as a tiny backup. At the very least this could be the pedal that finally makes me move on from a Tech 21 Blonde for going direct...and with more options.

User Info Menu

A-a-and it's appeared, properly, on the Quilter website: Pedal Series Quilter Labs

User Info Menu

"Twice as loud" facts:

Something sounding "twice as loud" is not a definable or measurable quantity. (Like: The Jim Hall concert was "twice as good" as the BTS concert.)

Twice as much "sound pressure" is measurable and equal to a 6db increase. (Does this sound twice as loud......???).

To achieve twice the sound pressure (6db) with the same speaker (no additional speakers), you need 4 times the electrical power (watts)

User Info Menu

Definitely temped by the Interbass. Anybody else curious about the Interbass model for jazz use? Saying this die to the success of the Walter Woods bass amp design used with jazz archtops (Tal, Barney, Herbie, others).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by maggles55
    "Twice as loud" facts:

Something sounding "twice as loud" is not a definable or measurable quantity. (Like: The Jim Hall concert was "twice as good" as the BTS concert.)

Twice as much "sound pressure" is measurable and equal to a 6db increase. (Does this sound twice as loud......???).

To achieve twice the sound pressure (6db) with the same speaker (no additional speakers), you need 4 times the electrical power (watts)
    Accurate but not satisfying. Maybe a better comparison would be to say it keeps up with a classic amp, like a Blackface Deluxe Reverb or Twin Reverb, when running though the same cabinet. Sort of an apples to apples thing,

User Info Menu

The thing I miss on all Quilter pedal amps is the lack of a proper aux. input. The effects return just doesn't do the job for me. How hard can it be to just put a decent aux. input?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by maggles55
    "Twice as loud" facts:

And what are we comparing, exactly? Because I was never impressed with Jim's dance moves compared to K-Pop stylin'

User Info Menu

Also showing now on Thomann's European sites at a surprising 235€ with 2-3 weeks for availability. I expected it to be higher, so that's excellent news

User Info Menu

Hey all, well, as hard as we try to keep things under wraps it seems that without fail our product releases always get out a little early. No big deal! A little buzz is welcome. Now that the amp is out I can clarify a few of the power questions in this thread. So I hope this doesn't come off like a company trying to shill their product and instead just provides some manufacturing / design insight.

We do design our own power amps. A big part of our "thing" has to do with how the amp interacts with the speaker. To the best of my knowledge all of the off-the-shelf power amps are setup with a low output impedance / high damping factor. Nothing wrong with that, but tube amps have a high output impedance / low damping factor relationship with the speaker. This setup in a Class D system is a one part of our patent. The MircoBlock and InterBlock both had the more traditional solid state setup. The SuperBlock is our first pedal amp to feature the tube amp-like low damping factor scheme. Pat had a bit of a breakthrough and figured out a way to make it work with the external supply.

As for power at different impedances, the output voltage of any amplifier rises and falls at different frequencies as it meets the speaker's impedance. On a bench you will get a different rating on 4 or 16 ohms vs 8 ohm, but it will "feel" very much the same with this amp. Internally the amplifier is using a lot more than 25 watts to do what it does, but we say it is as loud as a 25 watt tube amp and will show that on a bench.

Hope that helps!

User Info Menu

Do we know whether these have the new (more adjustable) tone stack of the TB202?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Do we know whether these have the new (more adjustable) tone stack of the TB202?
    Yes, they do. The EQ controls are active.