The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 70

User Info Menu

Hi all!

I've been praying for - and hinting at - a pedal-size amp with on-board reverb. Well, Quilter Labs was supposed to launch their SuperBlock on April 26, but you'll already find it, and a couple of demo videos, on their site. The US version has three Fendery voicings: tweed, brownface and blackface. The British version is voiced after Voxes and Marshalls. A good many bells and whistles in a compact and lightweight package: reverb, three-band eq, fx loop, cab simulation, FR and so on. Separate DC power unit, so this amp can also be street-fed from potent enough batteries.

I was told by informed sources that the output corresponds to 22W tube. Well, it's now rated at 25W @ 8 ohm. My lingering worry is about clean headroom, which is the Achille's Heel of the Interblock 45. The demo videos, predictably, don't dwell too much on cleans. Watts turn into decibels in so many ways that only testing will bring out the usability of this ultra-promising micro amp for straight-ahead jazz. If yes, here's another public transit compatible option for the urban warrior.

SuperBlock US Quilter Labshttps://www.quilterlabs.com › entry

Disclaimer: To quote a Finnish saying, I have my own cow in the ditch. This amp just might be the perfect companion to my TOOB and Metro cabs. All it takes is to catch one and find out.
    Last edited by Gitterbug; 04-21-2021 at 01:37 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Very interesting. What kind of battery would power it?

User Info Menu

Oh my. With the 3 fender era voicings, that is something I will have to give serious consideration.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

This is gonna sell like hotcakes.

User Info Menu

This seems very nice! I love my 101R head.

User Info Menu

Hmmm... the Interblock 45 claimed 33W @ 8Ohms.

User Info Menu

Here could be a suitable up to 24V power bank.
    Toutes nos excuses

According to specs, the SuperBlock can be run on even 9V DC for reduced power.

As for the 25W power rating, let's give the new product the benefit of the doubt. If the power is tube-like, it's adequate for much. For example, Mooer Baby Bomb (30W) and H & K Spirit of Vintage (25W) are seriously loud.

User Info Menu

I'm certainly interested in this - I just hope the 25 watts is a loud 25 watts.
    It would be cool if they made a head version of the new Aviator - that might be more what I'm after as it'll have a bit more headroom.

User Info Menu

If nothing else, as a preamp unit this looks promising

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    If nothing else, as a preamp unit this looks promising
    Quite. Crossed my mind as well. Yet, the user manual claims 25 tube-like watts, with more mulling inside for headroom. If so, enough for practice and small gigs. A perfect physical match to your Metros, sitting lengthwise on the amp dock, with the row of controls facing the player.

Looks like the news escaped prematurely and in an uncoordinated way. The product is and is not on the Quilterlabs website, and Thomann shows but does not find it. Quite a departure from the stylish Aviator Cub launch.

User Info Menu

I wonder -- in a class D amp, how expensive is it to up the output wattage? I see class D bass amps with -- well, the Quilter Bass Docks have 450W @ 8Ohms and that's not unusual. You can always turn down a SS amp, why are we worried that one wouldn't cut the mustard? Shouldn't they always be designed with more than enough on tap? I keep thinking that would not add a lot to the cost, but I have no idea.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I wonder -- in a class D amp, how expensive is it to up the output wattage? I see class D bass amps with -- well, the Quilter Bass Docks have 450W @ 8Ohms and that's not unusual. You can always turn down a SS amp, why are we worried that one wouldn't cut the mustard? Shouldn't they always be designed with more than enough on tap? I keep thinking that would not add a lot to the cost, but I have no idea.
    Skimming the net, you will discover that China offers high-wattage Class D Bluetooth amp modules for the price of a Big Mac meal. If you order X hundred, that is. Going up a few leagues, Danish-designed IcePower power amp modules can be found inside many name-brand guitar amps, including Henriksen and Raezer's Edge. Own-design preamp and controls then justify makers' claims such as "unique", "vintage", "mojo" and "made in USA."

Quilter designs from scratch, I believe. If you want to pack as many features as possible into the least amount of space and keep it light, you have to avoid cooling fans, heat sinks and large toroid transformers. The outer dimensions of SuperBlocks indicate they've succeeded.

User Info Menu

If I didn't have a Tone Block 202 head already, I'd be tempted. Nice solution for a pedal board direct to front of house and monitors!

User Info Menu

This one is very similar to their new Fender-mimicking Aviator Cub combo amp. The Cub has double the output wattage, adds a really good Eminence speaker and weights only 22lbs. I got a Cub a month ago at MF with a 20% off coupon and I highly recommend it...best SS amp I have played.

User Info Menu

249 $? I want one.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    249 $? I want one.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
    Wahrscheinlich, Musikhaus Thomann posted info on these a bit prematurely. It remains to be seen when they have the product in stock - probably some time in May. By that time, first user comments should be there. If the price info is correct, it sounds like a steal!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug

I was told by informed sources that the output corresponds to 22W tube. Well, it's now rated at 25W @ 8 ohm. My lingering worry is about clean headroom, which is the Achille's Heel of the Interblock 45. The demo videos, predictably, don't dwell too much on cleans. Watts turn into decibels in so many ways that only testing will bring out the usability of this ultra-promising micro amp for straight-ahead jazz. If yes, here's another public transit compatible option for the urban warrior.

I have the Interblock 45 and haven't noticed any problem with clean headroom. Could you be more specific?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I have the Interblock 45 and haven't noticed any problem with clean headroom. Could you be more specific?
    I wish I could! Constantly testing amp/cab combinations with several amps up to 200W, I find the Interblock short of clean headroom in my test corner. This in particular with 6.5" cabs, with 92 dB sensitivity and even lower if acoustic suspension is present for deeper basses. I guess I'm just setting the rib too high. The other thing is, I'm constantly fiddling with the mid-eq for the right tone. Gigging with the old boys' band I'm in (everyone else is 80+), no problem. And against other Quilters I've used, the Interblock has more bass, which I appreciate. An Interblock with reverb was all I could pray for. The SuperBlock offers a lot more, providing the watts are real and the headroom is there.

User Info Menu

This thread has inspired me to dig out my Traynor QuarterHorse 25 Watt Microamp. This saves me some dough.

Whew! That was close!*

* I watched a couple of in-depth reviews and the Quilter is definitely top-shelf stuff. Budgetary issues aside, I'd really like to have one. However at present, a little fiscal discipline is in order.**

** Not that something might be worked out post-tax refund time....***

*** I'm beginning to think I have a devious mind.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    I wish I could! Constantly testing amp/cab combinations with several amps up to 200W, I find the Interblock short of clean headroom in my test corner. This in particular with 6.5" cabs, with 92 dB sensitivity and even lower if acoustic suspension is present for deeper basses. I guess I'm just setting the rib too high. The other thing is, I'm constantly fiddling with the mid-eq for the right tone. Gigging with the old boys' band I'm in (everyone else is 80+), no problem. And against other Quilters I've used, the Interblock has more bass, which I appreciate. An Interblock with reverb was all I could pray for. The SuperBlock offers a lot more, providing the watts are real and the headroom is there.
    I'll check it out. I generally play it through a cab with a 12" speaker (quilter cabinet) and haven't notice a headroom problem, but I also don't drive it as hard as some might. So I'll experiment and see if I can find the threshold, although I don't have the knowledge or equipment to test as carefully and precisely as you do.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    This thread has inspired me to dig out my Traynor QuarterHorse 25 Watt Microamp. This saves me some dough. Whew! That was close!*
    * I watched a couple of in-depth reviews and the Quilter is definitely top-shelf stuff. Budgetary issues aside, I'd really like to have one. However at present, a little fiscal discipline is in order.** | ** Not that something might be worked out post-tax refund time....*** | *** I'm beginning to think I have a devious mind.
    The now-discontinued Quarterhorse is a very neat device and has some useful effects on it to boot. I carried one around in my gig bag for several years as an emergency spare amp, but never had to use it, so I sold it. These days (pre-pandemic), I use my old Polytone Baby Brute for that purpose.

User Info Menu

I am not sure if I have missed something here. Does the Quilter mentioned here drive a speaker ie a passive speaker, or does it have to be coupled to a driven speaker cab?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 0zoro
    I am not sure if I have missed something here. Does the Quilter mentioned here drive a speaker ie a passive speaker, or does it have to be coupled to a driven speaker cab?
    They say a 4-16 ohm passive speaker, with 8 ohms the loudest. This is unusual. You can find the user manual on the net already.

User Info Menu

Is this more than just a tarted up InterBlock 45?