The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14
    Dutchbopper Guest
    Came across this video of Linus Eppinger playing a Trenier guitar. Given the interest here in Trenier guitars I thought I'd share it.

What model is Linus playing here?

Nice playing by all.

DB

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I don't recognize it, but it looks like a 17", and I'm assuming solid wood rather than laminate. One thing that's interesting is that the tailpiece and pickguard don't look like the usual Trenier appointments. I wonder if these are aftermarket mods for a more midcentury Gibson vibe. They're tasteful regardless.

User Info Menu

tailpiece is a Stromberg copy
    nice looking axe

User Info Menu

nice jacket too...

User Info Menu

Well, it's a jacket. Goes well with the high-water pants. I do like the music, though.

User Info Menu

Can anyone tell if the pickup is built-in or a floater? I could not see a pickup ring.

AKA

User Info Menu

The guitar player has fingers like an octopus!

User Info Menu

It's a floating pickup attached to the pickguard and neck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    It's a floating pickup attached to the pickguard
    Thanks! He gets a great tone - nice blend of acoustic and electric.

Albert

User Info Menu

The entire band is a tone machine!

User Info Menu

pretty bernstein-y tone, imo.

User Info Menu

IIRC this guitar was sold by the TFOA store in the Netherlands, about 4 or 5 years ago. It might even be an 18" model and it had a refinish, a new tailpiece (Slaman makes these) and a few other minor changes. The current pickup is a new addition (looks like a Dommenget floater) as is the bridge. I find the tone not particularly different from any other similar archtop plugged into a Fender-style tube amp.

https://www.tfoa.eu/de/

User Info Menu

From Linus, answering my inquiry regarding his guitar:

"It's a model called Magnolia from 1991, it's 18", I got it at a vintage guitar shop in the Netherlands, but the pickguard, pickup, tuners, bridge, tailpiece and finish have been changed in the meanwhile. When I got it, it had a Johnny Smith floating pickup mounted on to the pickguard on it, which I wasn't really into, so I had a Classic 57 mounted on it, attaching it to the end of the neck with a brace. That somehow gives me the sound I want (I guess it's quite similar to Bernstein's pickup configuration on his Zeidler.)"

User Info Menu

A 1991? That surprises me. I didn’t think Bryant was building guitars that long ago.