User Info Menu

I got a new neck for my strat, and now I'm mowing thru high E strings when I bend them. They are breaking on the fretboard, not the nut or bridge. I don't have this problem with my other guitar's with the same gauge (9's).

Do I have some rough frets? I gave them a thorough once over with some 000 steel wool. But I'm wondering if I need to take it a step further and tape up the whole thing and do a complete polish? Seems for now they are breaking around the 7th and 12th frets, but that might be just due to playing in A and D a lot with the guitar.

Any ideas here? I'm really getting a little frustrated with an otherwise pretty well playing guitar.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Seems when I lose strings to the nut binding it's always above the nut. Usually during tuning rather than bending. Guess you've already looked for rough or sharp frets (including fret ends where the string could catch). Have you gone over the neck with a fret rocker looking for high frets?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410 View Post
    Seems when I lose strings to the nut binding it's always above the nut. Usually during tuning rather than bending. Guess you've already looked for rough or sharp frets (including fret ends where the string could catch). Have you gone over the neck with a fret rocker looking for high frets?
    There were a couple slightly high frets, but they were slight and not in the area where the breaks are occurring.

The neck was surprisingly good (it was a genuine Fender) right away, with no sharp ends at all. I just don't know if I need to polish ALL the frets or what else as it's been decades since I replaced the previous neck.