The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

Gibson Tal Farlows are ultra-rare in my part of the world. There may be a 2011 reissue coming up for sale. The original PUs have been replaced by T-Tops. Seems to be in very good shape. Anything particular to know about that vintage? How much should one be prepared to dish out? The prices I've seen for these guitars are all over the charts, some starting with 2 but with three or four digits behind it.
    Last edited by Gitterbug; 04-27-2021 at 03:51 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Expect to pay $4K for a good one. Maybe $3.5K for one in fair condition and $4.5K + for mint. Tal Farlow question - NGD!-0b72f43d-f763-45de-a19c-0655e51ef067-jpegTal Farlow question - NGD!-f3d4f14a-9ff8-48a8-a1ca-5ebf73772115-jpeg

User Info Menu

2011 is a excellent year. Crimson was at the top of their game.

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Expect to pay $4K for a good one. Maybe $3.5K for one in fair condition and $4.5K + for mint.
    Quite so. In Europe expect to pay 4-5k.

I believe that the used Tal Farlows were actually underpriced for many years, when they were 3k or sometimes even less. Current prices are more in line with the quality of them.

DB

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    Gibson Tal Farlows are ultra-rare in my part of the world. There may be a 2011 reissue coming up for sale. The original PUs have been replaced by T-Tops. Seems to be in very good shape. Anything particular to know about that vintage? How much should one be prepared to dish out? The prices I've seen for these guitars are all over the charts, some starting with 2 but with three or four digits behind it.
    Why on earth did they put T tops on that Tal? The classic 57s are way better for that guitar IMHO.

DB

User Info Menu

So it's NGD for me. The Tal was every bit as fine as promised. Arrow-straight neck, very low action. I checked the innards with an endoscope and tested the truss rod - works. When the seller's pain threshold happens to coincide with the buyer's, a deal is bound to happen. I'll have to change on flatwounds - any recommendations? - and check the intonation before a final verdict. Somehow it felt right instantly. Important: the original '57 Classic PUs were included in the deal.

I missed a Tal around 2010, this 2011 must be the only other sample in the whole country. As the photo shows, the wood could be more figured, but this was my one and only last chance.
    Attached Images Attached Images Tal Farlow question - NGD!-tal-farlow-jpg 
    Last edited by Gitterbug; 04-27-2021 at 04:09 PM.

User Info Menu

She is a beauty. May she inspire your playing for many years to come!

User Info Menu

That's a beauty, you did good! congrats
    About strings: thomastik js112/js113 work great..

User Info Menu

I always longed for a sunburst Tal the most. I previously owned a 2010 viceroy version. I’d recommend TI Swing 13’s for that guitar. Congratulations!

User Info Menu

looks great, enjoy that one. the mild figuring doesn't bother me one bit.
    that stuff belongs on the back, neck and sides anyway....where no one can see it anyway

User Info Menu

Looks a lot like my 2016. I have TI GB112s on it and I love them. These are great guitars. Congratulations!

User Info Menu

What a beauty. I concur with the recommendation of TI Swing .13s. Excellent strings...excellent guitar...great match.

User Info Menu

Congrats! A SB Tal is way high on my list of dream guitars. Looks to be a beauty!

User Info Menu

Yup its a great one enjoy it with good playing.

Another vote for TI JS13s! (Tal used D’Adarrio Chromes, but theyre kinda bright)

User Info Menu

What a beautiful instrument! The subtle figuring of your example looks great to me, and in any case won't affect the tone. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Congratulation and welcome to the Tal appreciation club
    TI JS112 for me!

User Info Menu

Looks great! Congrats! I recall way back when a 2009 TF Viceroy Brown could be found used for $2750 in 2012 at none other than Dave's Guitars in La Crosse, WI. Those days are behind us now.

User Info Menu

That’s all the guitar you will ever need.
    It’s in beautiful condition.
    You did really good. That guitar can do anything great.
    Enjoy!
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Congrats!

Such great guitars...top flame looks very similar to my 2013.

I’ve been using the TI GB114 set, swapping out the 14/18 for a 13/17. I firmly believe that the GB sets last longer and sound clearer than the TI Swings. They also feel smoother.

User Info Menu

I got a 2002 ES5N Switchmaster from Dave's instead way back when. Sometimes, I wonder if I made the right chiice.

User Info Menu

Everybody, thanks! I'm overwhelmed by your support. With absolutely no intention or need, I just couldn't pass this rare opportunity. I swear it'll be my latest... At 74 and with the best before date long behind, one gets aware of the other remaining, use by date. Luckily, my sons are into music and instruments on a pro level, so they'll know the value of my little harem when I'm gone. Psst! Anyone in EU in need of a pristine Benedetto Bravo, # 54 from Savannah (2007 I believe).

Cheers,

Markku

User Info Menu

Gitterbug,
    I love your enthusiasm for this great guitar. So many times, top notch guitars fall into the wrong hands. This is NOT the case.
    Having owned one, the Tal is indeed an absolute world class guitar.
    And, one more thing..
    "I swear it'll be my latest..."
    That is a CLASSIC!!
    I will use it often, if you dont mind.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Gitterbug,
    I love your enthusiasm for this great guitar. So many times, top notch guitars fall into the wrong hands. This is NOT the case.
    Having owned one, the Tal is indeed an absolute world class guitar.
    And, one more thing..
    "I swear it'll be my latest..."
    That is a CLASSIC!!
    I will use it often, if you dont mind.
    Joe D
    I think I'm lucky enough to own your old Tal...wish I could play it like you!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mccolalx
    I think I'm lucky enough to own your old Tal...wish I could play it like you!
    Really? Wow that is great!
    How is our girl doing? That's a very VERY important guitar in my life. The only reason I sold it was because I was in financial duress. Otherwise that Guitar would have been with me till the end.
    I hope you love her.
    Feel free to reach out to me in a PM if you want to chat.
    As far as my playing thank you I appreciate that. That guitar made it very easy to play the stuff I play. Everytime I played it, I wondered why I ever wanted any other guitar.
    Thanks for reaching out.
    PS, make sure the nut under the treble volume pot is tight. That would loosen from time to time and would rattle a little bit.

Sorry Gitterbug for stealing your thread!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mccolalx
    Congrats!

Such great guitars...top flame looks very similar to my 2013.

I’ve been using the TI GB114 set, swapping out the 14/18 for a 13/17. I firmly believe that the GB sets last longer and sound clearer than the TI Swings. They also feel smoother.
    Those are actually my personal first choice even though they’re pricey. I buy them for $34 a set. But many here don’t get that TI .114’s are no bigger than D’Addario .112’s.