The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 29 of 29

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    So it's NGD for me. The Tal was every bit as fine as promised. Arrow-straight neck, very low action. I checked the innards with an endoscope and tested the truss rod - works. When the seller's pain threshold happens to coincide with the buyer's, a deal is bound to happen. I'll have to change on flatwounds - any recommendations? - and check the intonation before a final verdict. Somehow it felt right instantly. Important: the original '57 Classic PUs were included in the deal.

I missed a Tal around 2010, this 2011 must be the only other sample in the whole country. As the photo shows, the wood could be more figured, but this was my one and only last chance.
    Congrats, remember flame don't make fame. It's very cool that you got it with the OEM pups. I'm in agreement with DB, in that the 57's are right for the Tal and I think you'll have them back in the Tal at some point.

I had not noticed the prices inching up on the TF's. That a bit like an upstream swim but, it goes to show that greatness gets it due.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

As usual Gibson has their head up there ... discontinuing such a great guitar model. Trust me the used prices will now skyrocket.

User Info Menu

Just to keep you Tal fans updated: I took my new baby to Kristian Oesch, the best doctor in town. He'll transplant the original Classic 57's back. The T-Tops have an unbearable top-end shrill and a metallic overall quality unfit for a jazz guitar. What has surprised me is the Tal's weight and, for the lack of better words, rigidity and solidity. When played acoustically, it does not vibrate the way my ES-175 does, and the stiff maple neck gives some unexpected sustain. This on the round wounds that came with the guitar. Thanks again for all the string advice. Kristian has a set of .012-.052 D'Addario Chromes so we'll use them for starters. I've been happy with those on my other guitars. Kristian has a deluge of guitars in his small studio, as so many people have discovered their old instruments during the pandemic. Yet, the Tal should be ready and set up for the new strings in a couple of weeks. Worth the wait.
    Last edited by Gitterbug; 05-05-2021 at 02:25 AM.

User Info Menu

Congratulations on joining the Gibson Tal Farlow Owners Group! You’re in great company here. I was fortunate to join the group a little over a year ago when I took possession of a beautiful 2013 Tal Farlow that looks much like yours. Here’s a link to that NGD over in the TF Appreciation thread (my NGD is post#161):
    Gibson Tal Farlow Appreciation Thread

Your description of the guitar as rigid and solid is so true. I’m very impressed with the quality of the build of this fine instrument. Mine is rock solid as well and sustains so beautifully. Again, thanks to all on this forum for educating me and others on this lesser known, but exceptional, Gibson guitar.

Again, congrats and enjoy!

Roli